6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old June 13th, 2020, 10:27 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What did you do for your GMC today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourhundredorbust View Post
For my update...my bed replacement is almost done. All the wood is fitted and drilled I'm just trying to decide what to finish it with. I don't want to paint it as I want to see the wood grain but pretty tough to find UV resistant clears. I'm leaning towards Sikkens...anyone have any thoughts?
You could do it cheaply like a trailer deck and hit it with linseed oil every spring. Keeps the nice wood grain showing and protects against the ugly of the world. takes about 15 minutes every April.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old June 15th, 2020, 12:30 AM

Truck: 1963 GMC 3/4t, 4x4
Robert B. is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much, that assortment of unique and fine vehicles belong to my buddy. His Spyder has a neat story behind it as well, and yes it is a James Dean commemorative, right down to the dull toned numbers on the rear lid. He found it in the Carolina’s. He also finished buffing out my ‘63...forever grateful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 19th, 2020, 12:20 AM

On a different note, in autozone today looking for a suitable 5W-30 for the ‘63, 305 V6. Realized practically all oils now are “fully synthetic” or “synthetic blend”. Curious what you guys are putting in your K1500’s out there these days?

Old July 19th, 2020, 01:32 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road

Some of us are using Shell Rotella oil, looking for it that has zinc in it, helps protect the flat tappets. Most of the new oils are designed for newer motors with cat converters and roller tappets, so all the good stuff for older motors is not there any more.
Since then in some other cars I started using a Lucas Hot Rod classic oil from Summit racing, has a high zinc content labeled on container, designed for flat tappets motors.
Old July 19th, 2020, 01:36 AM

Ok, I’ll check it out, thanks so much! I understood the same thing about the importance of Zinc in the oil. Unfortunately I’ve discovered most oils don’t list their contents anymore. I’ll see if I can find the two you suggest somewhere. Thanks again!

Old July 19th, 2020, 06:59 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert B. View Post
On a different note, in autozone today looking for a suitable 5W-30 for the ‘63, 305 V6. Realized practically all oils now are “fully synthetic” or “synthetic blend”. Curious what you guys are putting in your K1500’s out there these days?

It seems like this question comes up about once a year. I've been using Amsoil products since 1974, and have always had good luck with them. Their Z-Rod oil has high zinc, and is available in 10W-30, 10W-40, and 20W-50. I use 10W-40 myself.

See https://www.amsoil.com/p/z-rod-10w-3...A#pills-home_0
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old May 17th, 2021, 04:41 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1965 GMC 305V6 fleetside truck
ronn is on a distinguished road

For the slowest build known to man, I'll be installing my brake booster and new master cyl, looking for that radiator is next. Maybe by summer's end i'll be road worthy?
Old May 17th, 2021, 05:38 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
For the slowest build known to man, I'll be installing my brake booster and new master cyl, looking for that radiator is next. Maybe by summer's end i'll be road worthy?
Pshaw, all trucks are roadworthy if your hill is tall enough! About the radiator, i saw a four tube aluminum one on Ebay not too long back. They don't call it four tube though. I forget what it was they say, but it's got four hoses running along it where our original brass ones were only three tubes.

Good luck with the master cylinder and booster

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old June 21st, 2021, 10:15 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1966 gmc 1500
ilvracn is on a distinguished road

dumped a little gas in carb. fired right up. drove to walmart, bought 3 boxes of freeze pops, just need to wash, check tires, ready for 4th of july parade.
Old June 23rd, 2021, 04:36 PM

Truck: 1963 GMC 1000 sm420 305E lwb wideside
jmfurgason is on a distinguished road

I just ordered 30W Valvoline racing high zinc from Auto Zone was using 10W30 Valvoline racing conventional oil. jmf