6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old January 20th, 2021, 08:22 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default New member

Hello,

New member here from the Netherlands. Bought a '65 GMC 1500 recently, with the 305E V6. It has the SM420 transmission. No extra options as far as I know.

The truck is fairly rust free: cab corners are excellent, rockers okay but need attention (but they don't fall off, they just have a rust hole), frame is rock solid and the drip rail is excellent as well.

The worst part is the bed. As you can see it sits on 2 by 4's. The cross beams are included but not mounted. The wooden floor isn't there anymore and the bed strips are missing. The mounting strips for the carriage bolt with the square holes are fairly rusted out and need replacement. There are also dents in the side of the bed (most of which were patched up with lots of filler. Needs a lot of welding work.

I'll start working on the bed first and see if I can get that a better shape. The brakes need attention, and I'm also planning to upgrade to a dual master cylinder from a 67 C10/C20 for added safety.

The motor runs excellent. The clutch is a little sensitive, could be rust on the clutch surface? I am planning to run it on LP so it will need hardened valve seats installed etc. Anyone have experience with running these engines on LP?

I have been reading a lot on this forum, and I've bought the X-6523 GMC truck maintenance manuals.

Looking forward to any comments, suggestions etc.

Kind regards David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aflevering 3.jpg (126.2 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMC11 big block.jpg (331.7 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg aflevering 2 aangepast.jpg (122.1 KB, Multiple views, 13 clicks)
Old January 21st, 2021, 02:13 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowbar View Post
Hello,

New member here from the Netherlands. Bought a '65 GMC 1500 recently, with the 305E V6. It has the SM420 transmission. No extra options as far as I know.

I have been reading a lot on this forum, and I've bought the X-6523 GMC truck maintenance manuals.

Looking forward to any comments, suggestions etc.

Kind regards David
Welcome to the forum, David. We have had a few other forum members from the "Old Country" before -- not sure how many are still active.

Keep us posted on your progress, and don't be afraid to ask questions. We have lots of knowledgeable people here.

We'll be looking forward to seeing your progress photos.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old January 21st, 2021, 03:19 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1500 Custom
LordNatedawg will become famous soon enoughLordNatedawg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowbar View Post

The brakes need attention, and I'm also planning to upgrade to a dual master cylinder from a 67 C10/C20 for added safety.
If you're looking for added safety, you can also try a front disc brake conversion. I just completed one on my truck, and it's not too difficult to do. If you prefer to keep it mostly original with drums all around, then the dual master is definitely a "must have" safety upgrade. No matter what route you choose, just make sure the master cylinder you buy matches your GVWR. If you get a master that is too small, you won't have functioning brakes. Don't ask me how I know. Lol

Best of luck to you! Can't wait to see what you accomplish on your truck.
Old January 21st, 2021, 07:59 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordNatedawg View Post
If you're looking for added safety, you can also try a front disc brake conversion. I just completed one on my truck, and it's not too difficult to do. If you prefer to keep it mostly original with drums all around, then the dual master is definitely a "must have" safety upgrade. No matter what route you choose, just make sure the master cylinder you buy matches your GVWR. If you get a master that is too small, you won't have functioning brakes. Don't ask me how I know. Lol

Best of luck to you! Can't wait to see what you accomplish on your truck.
Thanks! I will stick with the drums first, disc brakes might be an option in the future. I am also looking to add seat belts for added safety (mine came without).

Edit: When I get some work done, I'll start a thread in the build section, so you guys can follow the build.

Its going to be a driver for dry weather and used for work when I can, so no show truck. As you can see it's been painted over in the A Team paint scheme and I'll probably keep it that way. I've been following TJ's Crustine build and I am looking to go a similar route on this truck.

Last edited by Prowbar; January 21st, 2021 at 10:33 AM.