6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass

Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass Beauty is only 4 coats deep...

Old October 21st, 2014, 03:18 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bed Wood

if you want the toughest wood, you can buy whats locally known as "ironwood" or "Ipe" (pronounced ee-pay) which is rock hard Brazilian Walnut. You cannot get screws or nails in it - has to be pre-drilled. Google it - super for decking and other weather-resistant uses.

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Old October 21st, 2014, 07:16 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
if you want the toughest wood, you can buy whats locally known as "ironwood" or "Ipe" (pronounced ee-pay) which is rock hard Brazilian Walnut. You cannot get screws or nails in it - has to be pre-drilled. Google it - super for decking and other weather-resistant uses.
Hmmm...never heard of that one. I'll check it out.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 03:30 AM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road

I don't remember the measurements, except I remember the boards are longer than 8', so I had to buy 10' boards. I think they were one inch over 8'? I measured the orig boards and duplicated the dado/shallow rabbit. I used white oak and I put Thompson water seal on mine every year. It's four years old and it's not uncommon for it to sit outside.

I painted the inside of the bed and the metal rails with bedliner paint, and installed stainless hardware.

I still use it as a truck... I can easily patch paint the bedliner paint and it doesn't look like it was patched. I carry a tarp behind the seat to help protect the wood.

If I attached the picture correctly, there should be a picture attached that I took last month for insurance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P82A1722.JPG (595.1 KB, Multiple views, 19 clicks)
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:58 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
I don't remember the measurements, except I remember the boards are longer than 8', so I had to buy 10' boards. I think they were one inch over 8'? I measured the orig boards and duplicated the dado/shallow rabbit. I used white oak and I put Thompson water seal on mine every year. It's four years old and it's not uncommon for it to sit outside.

I painted the inside of the bed and the metal rails with bedliner paint, and installed stainless hardware.

I still use it as a truck... I can easily patch paint the bedliner paint and it doesn't look like it was patched. I carry a tarp behind the seat to help protect the wood.

If I attached the picture correctly, there should be a picture attached that I took last month for insurance.
I like the painted inside there Clarke. I might do that with Cecilia once I get her bed back to good.

Oh, and Aphaynes here's some stuff I found that I might use to treat my oak boards. I don't know that I'd bother with some exotic boards because you know they used pine from the factory and it lasted about 40 years in a working environment.

http://www.amazon.com/System-Starter...A1ZQ4RBIUH3AMZ

It cures clear and is for marine use. Tough stuff, supposedly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old October 27th, 2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post

Looks great! Yes, when I saw the length was 97 inches instead of 96 (8ft); I am thinking "really???"

Thanks for all of the details!
Old October 27th, 2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
I like the painted inside there Clarke. I might do that with Cecilia once I get her bed back to good.

Oh, and Aphaynes here's some stuff I found that I might use to treat my oak boards. I don't know that I'd bother with some exotic boards because you know they used pine from the factory and it lasted about 40 years in a working environment.

http://www.amazon.com/System-Starter...A1ZQ4RBIUH3AMZ

It cures clear and is for marine use. Tough stuff, supposedly.
How far down the 'ol to-do list is your bed work gonna be Fetch?
Old October 28th, 2014, 02:08 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphaynes View Post
How far down the 'ol to-do list is your bed work gonna be Fetch?
Dot dot dot......

I don't work well below 60 degrees, I freeze up like molasses so it'll be a while yet. Here's my wish-to-do list:
  • Finish my fence building
  • Fix whatever's popped up to make her not start. Embarrassed me at Lowes this weekend
  • Pull bed off again now that I don't need it every weekend
  • Finish rebuilding the Rockwell T221 Transfer Case
  • Change fluids and seals on front and rear differential
  • Paint everything with Por 15 under there to keep it safe from the rust monster
  • Paint the bumper and put some bedliner in foot areas to look more modern.
  • Put the bed on some kinda stands so I can weld up holes, beat out dents, and...paint? Maybe.
  • Remove old wood and the rusted through strips, replace both.
  • Put my fenders back on so she doesn't look like a little girl with her skirt tucked in her drawers in the back.

Once the back is done I'll work move to the cab, then to the engine I think. That's the plan anyway, subject to change without notice

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old October 28th, 2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
Dot dot dot......

I don't work well below 60 degrees, I freeze up like molasses so it'll be a while yet. Here's my wish-to-do list:
  • Finish my fence building
  • Fix whatever's popped up to make her not start. Embarrassed me at Lowes this weekend
  • Pull bed off again now that I don't need it every weekend
  • Finish rebuilding the Rockwell T221 Transfer Case
  • Change fluids and seals on front and rear differential
  • Paint everything with Por 15 under there to keep it safe from the rust monster
  • Paint the bumper and put some bedliner in foot areas to look more modern.
  • Put the bed on some kinda stands so I can weld up holes, beat out dents, and...paint? Maybe.
  • Remove old wood and the rusted through strips, replace both.
  • Put my fenders back on so she doesn't look like a little girl with her skirt tucked in her drawers in the back.

Once the back is done I'll work move to the cab, then to the engine I think. That's the plan anyway, subject to change without notice
That's quite the list. I should probably make me a list rather than randomly jumping from one thing to next. That has kept me from getting the signal canceler installed you graciously provided. I did finish my bumper. You can see that on my build thread. Speaking of molasses, you should see what i used that for on my build thread as well.