6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old June 9th, 2014, 08:47 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Quote:
You are going to love this...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

There are 4 bolts holding that assembly in place. 2 on each side.
They go into it from the backside. I think both bolts each side are accessible from the inside of the front fender well.
Or...
One each side from inside of fender, and one each side from inside the engine compartment.
Its been a while since I removed/replaced one.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Seriously?!? Am I that blind?

Can't wait to get home and confirm this.

My headlight connectors and headlight adjusters should be delivered today as well. This could be a good day

Old June 9th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

There are 4 on each side. 3 under the fender. One under these supports.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140609_130805.jpg (661.3 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140609_130849.jpg (578.0 KB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
Old June 9th, 2014, 09:20 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Seriously?!? Am I that blind?

Can't wait to get home and confirm this.

My headlight connectors and headlight adjusters should be delivered today as well. This could be a good day

I don't know if you are "that blind" but I am that forgetful.
BarryGMC has it correct, there are 4 bolts each side (went out and looked at the spare assembly I have, looking at the trucks would have been a longer walk and I'm lazy...

)
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old June 9th, 2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
There are 4 on each side. 3 under the fender. One under these supports.
Thanks! I already have the supports pulled from running wire. Should be able to get it off pretty quick.

Old June 10th, 2014, 02:20 AM

So much for quick

I could not spot those bolts before because they were covered in whatever this is...

Looks like asphalt or something. Took forever to chip it off to get a rachet on the bolts.

Help I'm blind...

Some poor bondo work here. Not sure how this thing took a blow so high but it obviously did.

Old June 10th, 2014, 02:26 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Alabama chip seal. Most of these trucks have quite a story so not much surprises me.
Old June 10th, 2014, 02:35 AM

LOL! Just amazes me how much I did not see when I was looking to buy it.

But I am learning a lot that I did not know before.

Old June 16th, 2014, 01:48 AM

Well, with the grill off, I got to do a lot of sanding to smooth out that bondo work. Never knew hand sanding could be so tiring.

Evidently the repair work that was done on it last was done while it was mounted to the truck. The roughest areas of the bondo work that was done was on the lower side of the grill were you can't see it to good when it is mounted. Plus all the white overspray that is on the truck in the pictures above in a previous post were a pretty good clue.

After pulling the grill, like the headlight bezels, there was a lot of rust on the back side. Most of it seemed to be barely more than surface rust, but since these grills seem hard to find, I went ahead and POR'd the backside. Sorry Fetch, no "before's". That was done after doing some additional metal straightening. In this pick the braces that hold the headlights had been manipulated back in position. When I removed the grill from the truck, they were still bent down into the grill. Not something you can really fix without removing it from the truck.

You can see evidence in the same pick, in the lower right corner of where holes were drilled, I assume to pull it straight, and bondo applied.

Here are the headlight buckets, all cleaned and painted with new adjusters.

Not sure how much I trust those nuts to not come loose.

Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there!

Old June 16th, 2014, 10:20 PM

Truck: 1964 Fenderside 1000
Andice is on a distinguished road

Nice work. I remember doing the same thing to my grille, headlights, etc.
Old June 16th, 2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Nice work. I remember doing the same thing to my grille, headlights, etc.
Thanks!