6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old March 16th, 2016, 01:44 PM
GMC Advisor

Truck: 1961 Short Fenderside
WDShaffer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

My dad is 75, mom is 82. Both honery as all get out...and 2 hours away. I'm feeling your angst about the distance. Imagine 3 generations under Cecilia's hood! Memories for sure.

Regarding the catalyst, if you have not found a solution yet. Pep Boys, Jegs, Summit will have exhaust tubing. A piece of that and a cheap stretcher from the import tool place, and you can fab up a filler to clamp in place of the cat.
Old March 16th, 2016, 02:10 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road

I know you and your dad will have a lot of good times! My folks are in there mid 70's and 10 hours away. I have been trying to convince them to move here, but they grew up in the town they are in and dad refuses to move.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Glad to see you and your dad will be making the most out of life since none of us really know when our time will truly be up.

1965 GMC 1000, 305E

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1970 Torino GT, 302
1973 Mach I Mustang, 351W
Old March 16th, 2016, 03:28 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys. I love this place

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

WD, will a pipe cause my computer to have a fit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 17th, 2016, 02:27 AM
GMC Advisor

Nope. The O2 sensor is close to or in the exhaust manifold. Unless you have a fancy car with dual cats, and dual O2 sensors. Lots of YouTube videos on the topic I bet.
Old March 25th, 2016, 03:39 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I hurt the baby today.

I was feeling the Cecilia bug and pulled her around to the garage. She needed air in two tires so I did that and charged her battery for a bit. Then I took her down to the school to pick up the kids. They were pumped

But then when I got back I thought, I have a little time! I'll see if I messed up that gear connection to the shifter and maybe that's why she doesn't stay in 2nd gear.

My thinking is that when I put the transmission back together I missed when I aimed the forks into the gears so it never truly sinks into second gear anymore. It just pops back out when I apply torque.

So I drained her new fancy tranny fluid. It was dark and probably could have used a draining anyway. Check out the cracks in my brand new paint job. What's up with that? I must have done something wrong. Best to learn my technique stinks now I guess rather than after I paint her all over.

Then I took out the four bolts holding the tranny cover on.

Actually I took out three, then I had to remove one of the mounting bolts to get the fourth one out.

Then I fiddled with the big pepsi can looking gear inside. It seemed to be lining up OK with the fingers of the shift cover. I put it back on and that's when my world turned upside down. I tightened the cover and heard a loud POP!

As you can see I cleanly busted the entire ear off of the bolt hole on the transmission! AHHHHH!

One of the bits of the shift cover wasn't settled in properly and it was gapping at the top (which I couldn't see from underneath) and when I tightened it down it popped on me.I wonder if I can weld it? If not I guess I'll be in the market for another one. Dang it! Horrible timing, Fetch!

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 26th, 2016, 05:15 AM
GMC Advisor

Regarding the paint, without seeing the steps in the process, it could be many things. A combo of thickness and weather when applied, surface prep.

Regarding the cover, I bet you can find one faster than learning the art of repairing cast steel/iron.
Old March 27th, 2016, 10:42 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Regarding the paint, without seeing the steps in the process, it could be many things. A combo of thickness and weather when applied, surface prep.

Regarding the cover, I bet you can find one faster than learning the art of repairing cast steel/iron.

Thanks WD! I put an ad on the website here. We'll see how it goes. I didn't see anything on CL or Ebay that was close enough to run and fetch.

For the paint, I did a simple clean with SuperClean, then wipe down and paint I think. I don't think I put primer on it. Learning as I go

How do you guys do engines?

Old March 28th, 2016, 01:03 AM

Truck: 64 Gmc suburbann 305e, 4speed. v12 truck engine, v12 irrigation,2-305e,305a,305d
bobdylan is on a distinguished road

I would be tempted to put it back together using lots of silicone, grind a flat spot into your cover, use a longer bolt and a heavy washer big enough to extend beyond the break and catch the cover. I think the jumping out is more linkage adjustment, and worn bushings. Classic parts has the bushings.
Old March 28th, 2016, 01:25 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
I would be tempted to put it back together using lots of silicone, grind a flat spot into your cover, use a longer bolt and a heavy washer big enough to extend beyond the break and catch the cover. I think the jumping out is more linkage adjustment, and worn bushings. Classic parts has the bushings.

I messed with the linkage till my eyes crossed. I can't see any way to make it stay in second any better. I'll try some more and see what happens. Tuesday I'm off but I have to take The Redhead's mustang in for a look see.

None of you guys are familiar with a 97-00 Mustang are ya?

Old May 18th, 2016, 05:36 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC truck
azlamm65GMC is on a distinguished road

Thanks for showing your build its helped me on mine a ton. Awesome