6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old July 29th, 2014, 02:43 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Quote:
I had to look up the word Trunion

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Would the wood not hold it well enough if you just cut little round holes in it with a spade bit?
That was my original thought until I measured when I first has this crazy idea. Unfortunately, the wheel on the trunion is 1.5 inches wide and a 2x4 is actually only 1.5 x 3.5, so no spare room with the trunion being as wide as the 2x4 is thick.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Old July 29th, 2014, 02:48 PM

I was considering just wrapping some metal straps around the notches, running up vertically on the front and back for the trunion to fit in.
Old July 29th, 2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I was considering just wrapping some metal straps around the notches, running up vertically on the front and back for the trunion to fit in.
I had also considered running a steel pipe between the trunions and strapping the pipe to the tailgate. Might be hard to make that look good though.
Old July 29th, 2014, 02:57 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, pipe was my second thought. Liquid nails?

You could maybe use a pipe end cap with a hole drilled in the top to run a lag bolt through. Kinda like this:

Little primer and paint and it might blend well too. Or chrome paint. Or red with fire stickers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah, pipe was my second thought. Liquid nails?

You could maybe use a pipe end cap with a hole drilled in the top to run a lag bolt through. Kinda like this:

Little primer and paint and it might blend well too. Or chrome paint. Or red with fire stickers

That's something I had not thought of...(note to self

). Thanks!

I was also considering something similar using these concealed joist hangers.

The trunion wheel (removed from the truck) would fit inside the triangular opening as you attached the hanger to the wood. Then remount to the truck...after primer and paint, of course.

Old July 30th, 2014, 04:33 AM

This one is shaped different but same principal. Ignore noticable errors in wood work.

I need to find some pipe caps and see how they look/fit.

The tailgate sits in there pretty good, even though it is just propped for another fit check.

I know...that rear bumper is just plain awkward!

Evidently the original bumper and probably the tailgate took a good lick at one time. I can only assume this due to the large amounts of bondo under the taillights. I guess the local dealer, whose name is stamped on the bumper, put this one on to replace it...and it's welded to the frame. I'm not sure how I am going to get it off and get a proper bumper back on there. To bad a date is not stamped on there for history sake.

Hey GMCNUT, this dealer is ...or was...in your neck of the woods. Recognize it...if you can see it?

(Joe V. Clayton Chevy, Arab, AL)
With that bumper and the trucks Stockton, Huntsville, AL chrome badge on driver fender (a dealership that is no more), it appears it has never left this area in all it's years.

I think with the right bumper and some paint on the truck body, and a wood bed, this tailgate would look pretty good.

Old July 31st, 2014, 11:12 PM

Truck: 1964 Fenderside 1000
Andice is on a distinguished road

Perhaps you could modify the trunion instead of trying to make it fit your "skinny" tailgate. A smaller diameter trunion?
Old July 31st, 2014, 11:14 PM

Truck: 1964 Fenderside 1000
Andice is on a distinguished road

Be a lot easier to fiddle with if it was a Fenderside.
Old August 16th, 2014, 10:04 PM

Well, among sporadic traveling the last month, I've managed to get the following done.

So, the speedo was looking a bit rough...

I had installed the LEDs recommend by Fetch a while back. They are nice!

The instrument cluster bezel was solid black, so I incorporated the steadier hand of my wife to dress it up a bit. Here it was in progress...

I was able to get the speedo decal thanks to Vernski providing me with the link.

So the final was looking pretty good.

As for the tailgate project, I decided to give the joist hangers a shot. I ordered some new trunnions jsut to have the smooth wheels for it to turn on since they were cheap.

Upon first mounting the tailgate, I realized there was a cut I was supposed to make waaaaaayyyyyy back at the begining of the assembly but completely forgot about once I got going.

So off it came for some ripping and sanding...

Now before going back on the truck, I fulfilled a promise to my daughter. Back when I brought the truck home, she promptly named it Rusty. I told her then, at some point she could paint the name on the truck somewhere. So, I let her and my wife tackle the job of making it the logo for the tailgate.

So with my daughter picking out the font, my wife outlining it on the tailgate and my daughter filling it all in, here is the final...

Now I know it is not a factory tailgate and all,

, but with all three of us having worked on it, I like it!

GMCNUT hooked me up by selling me a pretty good factory rear bumper this weekend. So now I will be moving into getting it cleaned up and repainted white, then figuring out the best way to cut this odd dealer installed bumper off since they welded it to the frame.
Old August 24th, 2014, 05:41 PM

So working on the bumper I was able to get my hands on. I forgot to take a before, but here it is in progress.

So now I have a couple of questions.

1) after getting the rust and paint off, I am now trying to determine the best way to remove two "bumps" in the bumper. Here is one of them...

I do not have auto body hammers and dollies, just a 3 lb hammer. With this heavy steel can I make that work without screwing it up?

2) with the paint and rust gone I am left with some pitting. Do I just keep sanding away at it or use a combo of priming and sanding to fill it in, or put a thin coat of filler across it and sand before priming?

I am going with the white bumpers, not the chrome; if it matters.

Thanks!