6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old April 6th, 2014, 06:59 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Thanks. I got the Fel-Pro as well, but only got the Head Set portion. Should have gone ahead and got the full set I suppose. I'm sure I'll need them eventually.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Old April 11th, 2014, 02:48 AM

Question Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Pulled the valve covers today. Looks pretty gunked in there.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Should I attempt to clean it now or put something in with the oil when it is back together, run it and drain oil again?

On the other side, I noticed this wire coming out of the firewall and just dangling.

Any idea what it goes to?

Old April 11th, 2014, 04:28 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I can't say on the wire, but for the sludge I put this in one of our older cars. Run it for a few hundred miles then do an oil change, then do another dose and oil change. Clean as a whistle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 11th, 2014, 04:29 AM

Truck: 1965 2wd 1/2 ton the BEST!
klausz is on a distinguished road

Hi the wire goes onto the fan motor under the heater unit,hard to see from the top.
Old April 11th, 2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
I can't say on the wire, but for the sludge I put this in one of our older cars. Run it for a few hundred miles then do an oil change, then do another dose and oil change. Clean as a whistle

Thanks Fetch! I'll check that out.

Changed the PCV valves under the valve covers just for kicks since I was already in there and they are cheap. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the pieces I have pulled while chasing my oil leak sources painted. Still have a little paint on the valve covers to get off. I got a little ill tempered over some inaccurate HOA citations I received today and called it quits...and they have not even seen me working on the truck yet. LOL.

Wish I could repaint the whole engine since it is flaking everywhere, but no means to pull the whole thing out...future project.

Looks like "they" did a quick spray of the whole thing without any real prep. As I get flaking paint off, I see what looks like remains of older paint & grease.
Old April 11th, 2014, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Hi the wire goes onto the fan motor under the heater unit,hard to see from the top.
Thanks!

I wondered if that was the case, but couldn't see an obvious connection. Since that wire is disconnected and the heater hoses are not even going to the assembly, I have to wonder what is wrong with the system and how to test it...time for more research...once I get the engine back together.

The levers in the cab are snapped as well from rusting behind the panel. So got to find those levers and knobs as well.

Old April 12th, 2014, 12:45 AM

Had a little fun trying my hand at rattle can painting today.

Now, even though someone painted my engine chevy orange, I decided that even though I can't pull the engine and paint the whole thing, I would at least go back to the GMC red on the parts I pull as I work on this thing. Maybe one day the whole thing will be red again....but.....

Having grown up in and spent 90% of my life in GA, even though I am in AL now, while painting all that red, the Georgia Bulldog fan in me came out and I had to throw in some black!

Just got to get my bride to paint those GMC letters red!

As for painting, I kind of like my creative parts hanger.

Now I can get all this stuff baked tomorrow and start getting her back together.

Old April 13th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

I usually wash down the sludge with kerosene and a parts cleaner brush. Spray it on with a spray bottle. Then pour more to flush it down and out the drain plug. Those levers break because the cables are stiff. I take those cables off and soak them in my old oil barrel and then work the cables in and out. Wipe them down with some lacquer thinner and smooth as silk. No more busted levers. Barry
Old April 14th, 2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I usually wash down the sludge with kerosene and a parts cleaner brush. Spray it on with a spray bottle. Then pour more to flush it down and out the drain plug. Those levers break because the cables are stiff. I take those cables off and soak them in my old oil barrel and then work the cables in and out. Wipe them down with some lacquer thinner and smooth as silk. No more busted levers. Barry
thanks for the tips Barry!

I don't have an old oil barrell...yet, but I'll come up with something to give that tip go!
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:57 PM

Well, put it back together yesterday afternoon and believe it or not...it cranked right up!

but...yes there is a but

it idled fine, but when you first press the accelerator it tries to stall. if you immediately let off and repress the accelerator, it revs up just fine. Now I also only did the basic pre-crank setup on the carb. I was cold and it was getting dark, so I left it at that. Plus the Oil filter carriage had oil running down one side of it from the top, so I guess I did not get something seated very well. So unless there is a red flag here to you experts, I assume I just need to re-seat the oil filter carriage (check o-ring/gasket as well) and finish the setup of the carb?

Regardless, it was good to listen to her run for a few minutes after having her opened up since I got her home.

Is there a spin-on adapter for these 305's? I have seen some for V8's just not the V6.