6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old October 4th, 2018, 02:59 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1963 Custom Suburban Carryall - 95% original, all 3 seats, Mark IV A/C, PS/PB, 305E V6, Palamino Tan
62Burb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Turn Signal Switch kaput?

I have been searching the forum for a tear down process on the turn signal unit and steering column; I've seen a mention of being careful to not lose any bearings (I can see them barely visible with the steering wheel removed), and that the Chevy signal cup is a much better configuration fit with the Brother's signal switch I've ordered. But not sure how to safely proceed, and install and match up wiring. Is there a thread out there that covers this that I can't find?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 4th, 2018, 08:24 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Your user name is 62Burb. Your post says you have a 63 Burb?

Here are the instructions from the 1963 shop manual.
1. Remove steering wheel
2. Remove lever arm attaching screw and lever arm
3. Remove three screws attaching switch assembly to switch housing
4. Disconnect switch wiring connector from chassis wiring harness connector and two harness retaining clips.
5. Remove directional signal assembly and upper horn bearing from housing.

If I remember, this bearing is gently pryed out. You may have a puller that will work.
If you have original connectors, then the wiring "match up" is automatic. If wiring has been tampered with and colors changed, you will have to figure out each wire by it's function by testing or following the wire. The new T/S should have the correct colors to compare to a diagram to see what their function is. If you need more help, let us know.

Last edited by AZKen; October 4th, 2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old October 4th, 2018, 09:25 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1963 Custom Suburban Carryall - 95% original, all 3 seats, Mark IV A/C, PS/PB, 305E V6, Palamino Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
Your user name is 62Burb. Your post says you have a 63 Burb?
Haha you got me! When I joined this fine board more than 5 years ago I had no GMC; I had previously owned a '62 Suburban that I inherited from my FIL and drove for a few years in the '90's (he died at 65, the Burb died at almost 500,000 miles). I had thoughts of starting again with a GMC, and had been intermittently searching for one when I came across the '63 Im now starting work on.

BTW, a thorough shine-up of the brake lights did get them working. Once I have the replacement switch, I can see how they match up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 8th, 2018, 08:51 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

So two steps forward/one step back; I received the Brothers '63 switch that you linked me to, AZKEN, which fit very nicely. It matched what was in the steering column, with six wires 9the truck connector has 8). The horn relay and auto shift indicator had separately wired connectors, which I duplicated with new wire as they were in poor shape. Once I replaced the flasher relay, TS work as designed, front and rear - very excited! However, now the park lamps front and rear, and the brake lights, don't work at all!

I followed Jolly's troubleshooting guide - key info was that if there was 12v power on the yellow and green wires at the firewall connector when the brake pedal was depressed, the steering column is not the problem.

The fuses check out, the brake switch checks out. I'm concerned that those lights that are not working now worked before the TS switch install. Not excited at tearing into the steering column again! lots of finessed fitting back together in my experience. What to do!

Old October 9th, 2018, 12:20 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

HOLD THE PHONE! My SIL, a talented and methodical young man with extensive restoration experience, spent a couple of hours trouble shooting and found two fixable problems. ONE: The light switch was filled with fine new Mexico sand, that had ground down some terminals, and made for hit-and-miss operation. TWO: The fuse block concealed a mess in back of it; two hot wire had crossed and made for intermittent operation on certain circuits. Both were cleaned and made operation; ALL LIGHTS WORK! i greatly admire his methodical approach; I don't know how I would have done it.

The only thing I will replace is the light switch; although currently operable, it is too worn to be reliable. Any recommendations? And thanks to all for the invaluable help I have found here. Tune up this week, inspection and registration next week and baby here I come!

Old October 9th, 2018, 12:31 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

I'm looking online at a NOS Delco Remy headlight switch, shows D-1518, 1995096. Listing says 1957-63 Chevy; anyone know if this is correct? I'd prefer NOS if possible.

Old February 12th, 2021, 04:51 PM

Truck: 1965 C1000
thenonoman is on a distinguished road

I just went down the turn signal rabbit hole for my 65. I want to thank those who contributed to this thread, saving me lots of frustration, time, and money.