6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old September 20th, 2016, 12:30 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Default Turn Signal Issue

I've run a search through previous posts that others have made and haven't been able to find an answer. However, I'll apologize in advance if this is something that's been covered before.

When I first start driving, the turn signal works fine. After a few minutes (10 or so?) it stops blinking.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to electrical stuff. As far as I'm concerned electricity is magic. But, based on the symptoms and the little bit that I think I know about how the flasher works, I'm wondering if it's a case of just replacing the flasher and moving on?

If so, can I just put any non polarity specific 12V 2 pin flasher in its place? Or do I need to track down something more specific?

The reason why I ask that is I'm being quoted like $20 from a classic parts importer (I live in Australia), but I can get a stock standard Tridon replacement (which is what's currently in it) for like half the price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first post. But, I'm sure I'll harass y'all quite a bit. Thanks!
Old September 21st, 2016, 02:10 PM

Truck: 1961 Suburban
bpmcgee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Turn Signal Issue

J,

This isn't something that I've tried, but knowing how simple the 60's electrical systems were, I believe that the generic flasher would work -- from an electrical point of view.

B
Old September 21st, 2016, 02:13 PM

Truck: 1963 K-1000 Sub, 1963 C-1000 Sub, 1965 C-1000 Sub
jimjaz is on a distinguished road

JM, Welcome! A big block V6 down under? I am thinking that must be a rarity where you are. The short version; get a new flasher like the one you have in it.
The more long-winded version;
Are all your lights working?- brake lights are dim and light up bright when you push the brake pedal with the headlight switch pulled out for night driving? And then 10 minutes or so later everything works the same except your turn signals front and rear when you flip the turn signal switch left or right? Original wiring or any new "additions" that you recently added?
In my experience, a bad turn signal switch will just plain wind up being bad for whatever reason- it won't work for roughly 10 minutes and then act differently. That brings me to the turn signal can (flasher) that is literally plugged into your fuse box up under the firewall on the driver side. When your turn signals stop "flashing" and you have this problem, do the left or right bulbs light up brighter front and rear, or do they stay dim? Feel this flasher can- is it hot?, making any noise (tick-tock)? Pull it out, give it a few minutes, then plug it back in. Is it working again after giving it some time to cool down? Might be the turn signal flasher- most times these will last forever, and sometimes they can be persnickety and act up. This problem from your description sounds heat-related electrically, and you do not have to have your engine running to diagnose this. Pull your headlamp switch out from off to the parking/running light position without the headlights and see if you get the same symptoms. Or just try a new flasher can- they are pretty inexpensive, I'm thinking under $5.00 US. Don't know if these flashers are specific in nature but I would get one that fits with the overall application and year of the truck.
I am no expert when it comes to automotive wiring, but I do know that electrical contacts do develop a "native oxide" over long periods of time, and this is more common around high humidity/water areas. Salt water is corrosive and accelerates this degradation. It is possible that pulling the turn signal canister (flasher) and plugging it back in may actually solve your problem without having to do anything else. Do this 4 or 5 times and try it again. As long as you are down around the fuse box, pull out your fuses one by one and check the copper contacts of the fuse box and fuse ends- they should all be clean and shiny. You can clean this up with a wire toothbrush.
If you did something to the truck by adding whatever and THEN started having this problem, undo what you you did and try it again.
Try some things and let us know what you come up with.

63 GMC K1000 Sub restored original
63 GMC C1000 Sub original
65 GMC C1000 Sub OEM modified
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom SWB original
Old September 21st, 2016, 08:40 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Any flasher that fits........ but as noted, not enough info to determine if that's it. But all you asked was what flasher. Cheers
Old September 22nd, 2016, 12:02 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice

Thanks for the advice all!

jimjaz: There are a few old trucks around. Most of what you see though is folks getting rid of the V6 in favour of a V8..... Not my style. I'm hoping to progressively modernize it a bit (front discs instead of drums, dual master cylinder etc...) but I don't want to try to turn the old guy into something that is so far removed from what he started out life as (a solid and respectable truck). One thing that I'm refusing to do is change it over to right hand drive. It's the principle of the matter.

As far as wiring goes, I've had quite a bit removed/replaced, but nothing added. There's no radio. No AC. No heating. Having said that, the previous owner did make a bit of a mess out of the steering column while trying to install a new turn signal (he gave up after awhile). He also added an electric fuel pump and a replaced the wiper system.

I had an auto electrician remove all of the old non-essential wiring (hence the no radio) and replace anything that was broken or screwed up (someone had forced too many wires into too small of a hole in the firewall with no grommet. Consequently there were exposed wires rubbing etc...) It's also gotten a pretty thorough going through at a garage.

Long story short (I didn't think I'd end up typing this much, sorry) the wiring throughout the vehicle is all clean and new. So I'm hoping this problem isn't something too crazy.

To be honest, I hadn't thought to put my ear to the flasher to see if I can hear it ticking. I feel a bit silly now LOL. I'll do what you've suggested this afternoon and see how I go.

Thanks again!
Old September 27th, 2016, 08:58 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Thumbs up Re: Turn Signal Issue

Hello hello,
The replacement flasher appears to have fixed the problem. Onwards and upwards from here!

Thanks again for the pointers!