6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old February 4th, 2013, 03:59 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

To address the new button top problem we'll just make a new fitting using our trusty bag o' connectors.

Strip the wire and cut off the old connector, like here:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Then grab one of your spoon looking connectors that have curled sides ...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

And one of these pokey dikes things if you have one.

The same can be done with a pair of coat hanger wires if you dont. Or a fork. As a Scotsman I never see any need to spend money. It puts my kilt in a bunch.

Poke them in the connector where the curls are like this and pry them open slowly, just a little, until they fit the top of your button.

Then crimp it back on the wire. Squish Squish.

Then just place it on your new sending unit. All done!

Just start your engine. See if it works!

As for me, nothing ever works like it should so.....GREAT CAESAR'S GHOST!!!!!
SHE'S GONNA BLOW!!!

Of course that's not my gauge. I panicked too much to take a pic.

I shut her down and went into troubleshooting mode. Cool the engine, that takes what? Think McGuyver!
Water, oil, air. Ok, let's verify...

Check the water - I opened the cap and no boiling. Nothing funny.

I grabbed the infrared thermo gun that I bought because it was cool for AC troubleshooting...Toys rule

175 degrees. Hmm, what the heck? That's not hot at all.

Then I hit the internet and started searching.
Lo and behold, sending units have changed quite a bit since 1962. Who'da thunk it?

They now offer less resistance at lower temps than old gauges are used to seeing. The difference is about 32 ohms.

To compensate you need to add a resistor to the wire to keep them honest so that's what I did next. Oh, and just try finding a 32 ohm resistor at any retail store. You wont.

So I bought a pack of 33 ohm resistors from Rat Shack (radio shack) for 1.19. The guy there looked like he hated life and his job. He threw my receipt in the trash instead of handing it to me.

What's with lousy customer service anymore? No wonder the place was deserted.

Anyway, I got my resistors home and started photographing again.

That's when I realized it said "47 Ohm" instead of 33. Someone had mixed up the resistor bin and I had looked at the label, not at the package. Dummy.

So I ran it back and tried to swap it out. Mr Personality was like, "You wanna what? Oh.....(long pause)...Do you have a receipt?"

"You threw it away".

"Oh, I did? (long pause again) Um.....I guess it's in here then."

He glanced toward the trash can.

As Mr Friendly dug through his trash I went to get the right package and rearrange all of the resistors back to their proper cubby slots because I didn't want someone else having the same problem.

Anyway (deep breath) back at the counter he found a receipt for a resistor. It's for a 100 ohm. Different date. "Uhkay here it is." I pointed out that it wasn't the right one, but he said it didn't matter. He just needed a reciept. I was done with the whole thing so I just let it go. Punk kids today. Ugh.

When I'm elected Dictator there will be a law against idocy....but I digress.

Out the door I hobbled with my correct resistor in tow.

I snipped the wire in two at a point that it was bare anyway from years of under-hood abuse.

Then I attached a connector to it. Not pretty but we're going for drivability first, then pretty when we do a complete re-wire.

Crimp the resistor on:

Put on another connector for the other side

Tie it to the existing wire. Then just plug it back on to the temp sending unit and we're off!

And after starting her up she needed some alone time to warm up and I needed some fuel. I went inside to make myself a very tasty egg and bacon burrito.

This is how she looked when I returned:

SUCCESS!!!!!
And the temp was confirmed by the infrared reading 160 on the head. Nice!

I went back and painted it with liquid electrical tape just to be safe until I do a re-wire.

Lessons Learned:
  • My wires are old and corroded. This will need addressing next spring or so.
  • Reproduction parts aren't as good as original.
  • Look at what you're buying, even when you're in a hurry.
  • Kids that hate their jobs should find new jobs.

• Bacon and egg burritos with guacamole are delicious on a cold day.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; February 4th, 2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old February 4th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

I got a box O sensors in the shop. Been to that rodeo before. The Jimmys are the worst for this. OLd stock is best. Collect it while you can. Barry.
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:50 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Thats what I should do but I havent seen any sensors come up on ebay. Barry you had good forsight.
Old February 5th, 2013, 02:09 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Hit the wreaking yards And any place with old medium trucks. Also watch craigslist. Barry
Old February 6th, 2013, 02:56 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 3500 Rescue Squad
6066gmcguy is on a distinguished road

Nice Work eh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on FacePage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
1965 GMC 3500 Custom Rescue Squad {Black Built Bodies}
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:19 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Hit the wreaking yards And any place with old medium trucks. Also watch craigslist. Barry
Once I'm walking safely that's on my list. i heard we have a good one nearby in OKC. Theres a big one north of Dallas that i want to hit too next time I visit the land of the free (texas).

thanks jolly. im proud of her even if she doesnt look like much. I mean 500 bux and 4wd and i got it running! how many new cars can you let sit for years then spend 15 bucks to get them roadworthy right?

(to everyone reading)
the build stopped after the sensor for a few months due to the hip surgery. im 30cough years old and blew a hip out. go figure. the kids are calling me grandpa lol.

This week though i got out and started the old girl again to blow the condensation out of her (or maybe just to hear her run again lol) and that got me started to tinkering. I'm down to using 1 crutch so I can carry stuff again.

I replaced that broken window on the passenger side and then I grabbed my old oilbath air cleaner and got to work on it. I'll post the how-i-did-it and some pictures soon. Its just a simple paintover job.

THanks for all the encouraging words everyone. Im really enjoying bringing her back to life.
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:07 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough

Hello Fetch Me A Pepsi!

Very useful information for sure, and by the way, you hit a nerve here. Seems customer service today stinks (depends on where you go though, and who you deal with) and one of my all time favorite pet peeves, people NOT putting things back WHERE THEY BELONG! It pays to look at the package before you go to the checkout counter, to make sure you got what you came for. As to the young man who threw away your receipt---if he worked for me, he'd be in the unemployment line! That type of customer service is disgraceful to say the least!
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:53 PM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road

Pepsi:

I'll get them there one way or another. Delete them from your build when you look at them if you want to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMC '62-'63 extra parts.jpg (53.1 KB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMC '62-'63 extra parts 018.jpg (45.2 KB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:50 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Pepsi:

I'll get them there one way or another. Delete them from your build when you look at them if you want to.
I cant delete your stuff lol but that looks AWESOME! Itll be a good learning experience too since i havent torn into the door innards before. i cant wait!

i do wish i could see that v12 46 though. You should post some pix of that baby
Old February 9th, 2013, 12:07 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road

Pepsi:

Here's the links for both V-12 trucks. The '46 Chevy may make it down to the meet June, 15th. No firm plans yet.
Door innards are pretty straight forward, disassemble, lay in a row, stuff them in the other door same order, last out, first back in.
Our plans are still on to see you next weekend.

Forgot to mention on the door. I can find no rust through any where. It came off a grain truck, so could have spent lots of it's life in a barn waiting from one harvest to next.

The meet is really shaping up, and will be an enjoyable weekend for all, I'm sure.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.

Last edited by Cayoterun; February 9th, 2013 at 12:14 AM.