6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old July 26th, 2013, 07:57 PM

Truck: 1963 1000
TommyG is on a distinguished road
Default Interior door panel handle?

Hi all,

Just wondering, on my 1963 GMC I have big black rubber(ish) door handles in the middle of the interior door panels. The bolts holding them in were a beast to get off (in fact I couldn't get them off) and the bolts went through the door panel and into the actual door itself, so rather than just holding the handle to the door panel they also held the door panel to the door. Since I couldn't get them off it was a real pain to remove the interior door panel.

I don't see any mention of these door handles in the manual for this years truck, and looking over some rebuilt trucks from this time period I also don't see the handles on them.

Not really sure, maybe someone replaced the doors/panel or just added handles?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom
1963 GMC Wideside
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:50 AM

Vernski is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Interior door panel handle?

Post a picture of your door in question, there are set screws in each the door handle and window crank and if the set screws are taken out you should be able to remove both. If you have a arm rest you must remove it also to take the door panel off. It's not quite clear what your objective is so I thought a picture would help..Vernski
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:35 PM

Truck: 1963 1000
TommyG is on a distinguished road

Thanks Vernski,

I don't have a picture available, but I did remove the door handle and window crank by removing the set screws. It is the screws on the armrest I was having issues with.

Here is a picture of someone else's Chevy C10 with a similar door handle.

The screws that hold the armrest to the interior panel also go into the door itself. I was trying to get the interior panel off to do some window related work.

The manual showed pictures of the door handle and crank but not the armrests, so I wasn't sure if this was a stock door/panel or not. I think it might be a Chevy C10 replacement panel as in the picture.

Last edited by TommyG; July 30th, 2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:53 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG View Post
Thanks Vernski,

The screws that hold the armrest to the interior panel also go into the door itself. I was trying to get the interior panel off to do some window related work.

The manual showed pictures of the door handle and crank but not the armrests, so I wasn't sure if this was a stock door/panel or not. I think it might be a Chevy C10 replacement panel as in the picture.
No, probably just the stock option. It is normal for an armrest to be fastened through the door panel into the door itself. They take a lot of abuse and need to be fastened to something strong.

The GMC had the options for armrests, you just seem to see them more often on Chevrolets than on GMCs.

(because GMCs are working trucks and Chevrolets are luxury trucks
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:54 PM

Yeah funny thing on mine was it only had an armrest and outside mirror on the left side nothing on the right except the window crank and door handle. But it was an ex-farm truck. Oh yeah and no sun visor on the passenger side either all barebones on the options..Vernski
Old July 30th, 2013, 09:16 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
Yeah funny thing on mine was it only had an armrest and outside mirror on the left side nothing on the right except the window crank and door handle. But it was an ex-farm truck. Oh yeah and no sun visor on the passenger side either all barebones on the options..Vernski
That is actually fairly accurate. The driver's side usually got the visor and mirror, although the armrest is still an option... so that truck had an upgrade! (or it became standard, I forget what year yours is... )
mailto:

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old July 30th, 2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R Leifheit View Post
That is actually fairly accurate. The driver's side usually got the visor and mirror, although the armrest is still an option... so that truck had an upgrade! (or it became standard, I forget what year yours is... )
Hello David it's a 65 lwb fleetside custom w/upper cab trim a 1000 series I will post a pic..Vernski
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1220 frank new paint.jpg (2.42 MB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)