6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes

Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes Keep them doggies rollin', rawhide

Old January 19th, 2015, 09:24 AM

Truck: 1963 3/4 Ton 4x4 Long Step
pilotguy1050 is on a distinguished road
Question manual steering box play adjustment?

Hi all,

I'm working with my brother (long distance) on preparations on rehabing my 63 K1502 truck... one of the things we're wanting to do is correct the sloppy steering it has. He checked the other day and it has about 8 inches of play (wheel turn) from end to end. Wheels are stuck in dirt, so that is how we know it is true "slop" in the steering.

Is there a way to adjust the play in the box, or am i destined to have to replace it? I was looking online yesterday and found Classicauto.com had one listed, but they are "Out of Stock". I have a feeling that 8 inches is too much for safe road handling. Thoughts? Opinions? Sources of good ones?

Thank you in advance.
Old January 20th, 2015, 01:51 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside, 1961 1000 Wideside
snazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: manual steering box play adjustment?

If it were mine I would look into replacing it with a rebuilt box. You could try adjusting it but sounds like it has too much wear. Rock Auto lists one for $179 plus your core, but I'm not sure if the 4wd box is different.

Good luck with your project!
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:36 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road

If you want to try to adjust it till you get a new one, here is how I would do it. jack the vehicle up so that both front wheels clear the ground. You may want to remove the left front tire so you can get to the steering box easier. On the end of the box you will look for a cover that has a screw sticking out of it secured with a lock nut, you should see threads above the lock nut, this is the adjustment point. Loosen the lock nut and back it off a bit and turn the screw inward to take up the slack in the gears, back in down till you feel some resistance then back it off just a bit, rotate the steering wheel to feel for boniness , turn it down till you feel some, then back it off and if it feels smooth hold the screw in place while you tighten down the lock nut.

Make sure it feels smooth from lock to lock, these gears will wear in the area where you drive the most, so that will be in it's center, while the surface associated the maximum turn will not wear as much and it may want to bind in that area.
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagarra View Post
If you want to try to adjust it till you get a new one, here is how I would do it.
Hey jagarra,

That procedure seems reasonable. I seem to remember doing something similar to that on a 1974 Chevy Vega that I was helping a fellow GI rescue in Italy in 1983 or so... They ended up giving it to me, and I adjusted the horrible steering slop this way... but I have to be careful, because if I remember right, the box failed not long after, and I never knew if it was something I did or not...

If we do that, hopefully my brother (user frictionman here on this list) will keep me from hosing it up... I would still like to find a rebuilt one if possible, but, we play the cards we are dealt sometimes....
Old January 20th, 2015, 12:48 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Yeah, the problem is uneven wear on the worm gear. When you adjust, it has be a compromise as you will hit spots where it may be tight and then come to a loose spots near the center.
You can't have any tightness in the entire range of movement.
I checked out the unit from Rock Auto too. Having a rebuild one with new gears is really the answer.
How bad are the tie rod ends, how many miles on the truck?

Last edited by jagarra; January 20th, 2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old January 20th, 2015, 01:36 PM

i would prefer to replace it with a rebuilt unit, too... but, I am not finding ANYPLACE that even has them in-stock. I would gladly even send mine in to get fixed at some point (sort of a reverse of core charge) but, most places dont do that... so, if they are "out of stock", I seem to be sort of stuck.

I have no way of knowing how many miles are on the ol' girl. The speedometer didnt work when we got it in 1970, and Dad... well, you may recall in my other thread that he didnt worry about such trivial matters as gauges... "if it overheats, the steam will let me know"...

I am assuming that even though it may not have a bazzillion miles on it (actual miles, theoretcially) the ones it does have are hard-use/snow-plowing miles... the plow never once came off the entire time Dad owned it.

It likely needs replaced, but without a source, one makes lemonade out of lemons (even if it must be weak and pulpy)...
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:22 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Rock Auto has them available. I have had very good luck with parts from them. Gaskets sets or other wise are available at decent prices. Even when I had a problem, they were very good in taking returns.

http://www.rockauto.com/
Old January 20th, 2015, 03:20 PM

Truck: 1961 K1000 Carryall
Hawkz is on a distinguished road

I do not see the 4x4 steering box at Rockauto. I have looked just about everywhere for one of these as I need one for my Suburban.

The only place I found that will rebuild mine is http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/ but they said it could take 6 months and be $1000.00

I didn't go with them because I don't want my truck to be down for 6 months. If the cost was less I would find a used core and ship it and have it rebuilt, but both the time and $$$ are a little too much for me. (But they were the only people I talked to that would even agree to rebuilt it, so I guess they can charge what they want...)

Nick
Old January 20th, 2015, 04:33 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Strange, if I check a 2500 series on RA, it shows transfer case parts, so I am assuming that is a 4x4. Seems it lists the same steering box for most models.

Does the picture of the box look like what you have in your vehicle?
Old January 20th, 2015, 05:06 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside, 1961 1000 Wideside
snazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the rough

Check Lares Corp. website http://www.larescorp.com
They rebuild steering components and supply several companies including Rock Auto and LMC. Not sure if you can order directly from them, but you could call them.
Looks like their number 8010 steering gear might fit yours.