6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old February 7th, 2024, 09:44 PM

Truck: 1963 2500
bigred1 is on a distinguished road
Default clutch problem

when engine is running cannot get into any gear. when engine is off can move shifter into gear. 1963 gmc 1500 305ci 4 speed manual
Old February 7th, 2024, 11:18 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: clutch problem

Do you have fluid in your reservoir?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old February 8th, 2024, 12:25 AM

yes, had been hearing rattling noise in first and reverse gears
Old February 8th, 2024, 12:53 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Might be a worn first gear. First and reverse are the same if I remember right. It's VERY easy to drop the transmission on these and it's not overly heavy. You might hit up one of the parts guys in the marketplace for a new first gear then start pulling the tranny. I've got a full writeup, bolt by bolt, in my build thread here.
Even if you don't need that gear, it's good to have extras on hand for later. If you do need it, it should be there by the time you're ready for it.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old February 8th, 2024, 03:38 PM

thanks
Old February 8th, 2024, 05:11 PM

Truck: 1960 3/4, 4 spd, stepside
Jim A is on a distinguished road

Your clutch is not releasing fully. Check fluid, then have someone watch the linkage from below as you cycle the clutch (NOT running).
There is an adjustment for proper clearance (not too much, not too little) that may solve your problem.
I doubt that the problem is in the tranny.
I also wonder what technique Fetch uses to make tranny r&r easy.
I have done mine twice over fifty years and would say it is hard to get to and VERY heavy.
Old February 8th, 2024, 05:42 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
I also wonder what technique Fetch uses to make tranny r&r easy.
I have done mine twice over fifty years and would say it is hard to get to and VERY heavy.
Haha, my technique is drop the fluid, unhook the shifters, unbolt the driveshaft, unbolt the tranny and pull it backward. Tada! It's really not too heavy. It's not a sack of flour, but it's probably a big sack of dog food, just easier to get ahold of.

Mine's a SM318 though, yours might be different.

Old February 9th, 2024, 12:59 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1965 Suburban Series 1000 - 351M with mechancal tachometer - PS & PB & 2 speed Pow-R-Flow automatic
lizziemeister'sV6 will become famous soon enoughlizziemeister'sV6 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
Haha, my technique is drop the fluid, unhook the shifters, unbolt the driveshaft, unbolt the tranny and pull it backward. Tada! It's really not too heavy. It's not a sack of flour, but it's probably a big sack of dog food, just easier to get ahold of.

Mine's a SM318 though, yours might be different.
Believe his is 4 speed - a little more "heft" would be needed. Be like a big sack of dog food with a Saint Bernard attached!
Old February 9th, 2024, 01:46 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziemeister'sV6 View Post
Believe his is 4 speed - a little more "heft" would be needed. Be like a big sack of dog food with a Saint Bernard attached!
If you can believe the info on the internet, the three speed SM318 weighs about 65 pounds, and the four speed SM420 weighs about 135 pounds.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old February 9th, 2024, 02:52 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Well there's your trouble! Your transmission is 70 lbs too heavy!