6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old March 7th, 2022, 02:59 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Pneumatic spreader?

Hey guys! Do any of you know if someone makes a spreader like this, but pneumatic?
I can't count the times I've had two pieces of metal or wood that were stuck together and i needed them just about 4-6 inches further apart.
I just need a pneumatic version instead of a hydraulic version.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 25th, 2022, 04:42 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pneumatic spreader?

I can't say I've ever seen anything like that that was air powered. I can think of several dangerous, maybe even deadly problems with an air powered tool like that. Once the load is removed those jaws will spring out to full stroke instantly no matter what gets in it's way. Oil isn't compressive, and won't explosively expand once the load is removed.
Most of the ENERPAC tools like that are built about 20 miles down the road from me. I interviewed there for a job twice 10 years apart.
Old March 25th, 2022, 09:11 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE View Post
I can't say I've ever seen anything like that that was air powered. I can think of several dangerous, maybe even deadly problems with an air powered tool like that. Once the load is removed those jaws will spring out to full stroke instantly no matter what gets in it's way. Oil isn't compressive, and won't explosively expand once the load is removed.
Most of the ENERPAC tools like that are built about 20 miles down the road from me. I interviewed there for a job twice 10 years apart.
That makes prfect sense and it's something I didn't think about. I'm going to pick up one of the foot pedal ones then. Thanks PS!

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 26th, 2022, 05:34 PM

Truck: 1970 GMC RM-7500 based Motorhome
WE7X is on a distinguished road

I completely agree with the safety aspect.
Air pressure and springs are very dangerous when not used properly or safely.
One other consideration is how you are going to get the required air pressure necessary to make such a device do much work.
Simple hydraulics can generate several hundred pounds of force easily. Doing that with common air pressure, requirs a significantly larger diameter cylinder. It is akin to building a small bomb.
Rod J
Issaquah