6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old December 8th, 2021, 07:38 PM

Truck: 1965 C1000
thenonoman is on a distinguished road
Default High Beam Indicatator

65 1000. My high and low beam headlights work, but when I am on low, the high beam indicator in the dash lights up, then turns off when the high beams are on. I replaced the dimmer switch because it was pretty chewy anyways, but the problem persists. I don't see any obvious hackery in the wiring. Before I spend hours going cross-eyed with the wiring diagram, is there anything obvious or easy that I am overlooking?
Old December 8th, 2021, 08:36 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: High Beam Indicatator

You have the indicator bulb wired to the low beam. Can you tell me if you have been messing with any wiring? How long has this been happening? Any splicing done? Any connectors messed with? With those questions answered, I can try to tell you where it is mis wired. Most of the circuit is thru prewired connectors so hard to miswire that part.

FOR NOW: There are three terminals on the dimmer switch. With three wires. One is hot from the light switch. It would be the terminal with two rivets. Confirm it is the hot terminal. Leave that wire alone and swap the other two wires and test. That should not change anything, but we can start there.

Next, confirm that high beam is all headlights on and low beam is outer headlights only. Report.

Last edited by AZKen; December 8th, 2021 at 08:55 PM.
Old December 8th, 2021, 09:23 PM

I have only owned the truck for two years, most of which has been spent building and installing the engine. I have driven it less than 200 miles, and the only wiring I have done is to replace the tail light loom, clean the fuel tank sender, and replace the dimmer switch.
I will do what you advise and report. It will be a few days though. Thank you for weighing in.
Old December 9th, 2021, 05:38 AM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Was the hi beam indicator ever working correctly?
Old December 9th, 2021, 01:23 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

I would suspect the engine bay wiring harness was tamper with in it past. The connector on the firewall (5 pins connector) or the connector on the radiator support (2 pins connector) may have two wire swapped. Check the color on the wire on both side of the connector (they should be the same) and match them up.

Just guessing, I would suspect the connector on the radiator support is wired backward (mostly likely cause by doing maintenance around the radiator or body work). Located below the horn.
Old December 9th, 2021, 08:44 PM

Agreed, the two pin is the main suspect..... or the wiring after the two pin, possibly. As I said, it's hard to screw up connector wiring unless splices have been done. I.E. connector eliminated and wires butt spliced. You never know what previous owners have done.

At/after the radiator baffle connector, the light green wire is four-ganged to all headlights. The tan wire is routed to driver outside headlight, then to the passenger outside headlight. Incorrect colors may have been used, so be aware of that.

If you get stuck, post some good well lit pics of that connector and the wiring.

Last edited by AZKen; December 9th, 2021 at 09:00 PM.
Old December 9th, 2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
Was the hi beam indicator ever working correctly?
I drove it at night for the first time since I bought it a few weeks ago and noticed the problem. I checked the lights before I bought it, high and low beam, but did not notice the indicator. I was outside checking the lights, signals, running lights, and brake lights.
Old December 10th, 2021, 12:39 AM

Understood. You will find it with the info given. Let us know when you get a chance,
Old January 18th, 2022, 02:11 PM

Started looking at wiring, and if the wiring nut for residential use is any indication, somebody indeed has been in the wiring.