6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old August 19th, 2013, 05:14 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Saturday The Blonde went shopping with the Powder Puff so I didn't get anything done. Today was a different story. I backed Cecilia out and for a "please" and a "thank-you" I paid two little helpers to spray cleaner all over the frame, rear end, and transfer case.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Then out came the power washer. The boy wanted a shot with it so I let him try. He did pretty well. He thought it was cool that it was so strong that it blew chunks of dirt off of the transfer case.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Check out his work on the transfer case. It was a black greasy mess before.

The rear end cleaned up nice too. I'll be pulling it apart soon and painting it. Dirt wasn't good for the paint.

While Cecilia dried I painted the bits from last time.

After that we had time to make a batch of coffee for this month. Yum!

We capped the day off sitting on the swing and talking about the sunset. I'm not ready for Monday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:18 AM

Vernski is on a distinguished road

Hi Fetch are you grinding coffee ahead time or just a pot at a time? Just curious witch way and what kind of coffee you were grinding? I'm a coffee nut without a few cups in the morning It's not good to be around me or safe..Vernski

Old August 20th, 2013, 05:32 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Hi Fetch are you grinding coffee ahead time or just a pot at a time? Just curious witch way and what kind of coffee you were grinding? I'm a coffee nut without a few cups in the morning It's not good to be around me or safe..Vernski

Me and The Blonde are heavy drinkers too. That pic shows me and The Boy roasting coffee beans. I dont grind till it's time to brew. They're cheaper (scottish tightwad in me again) and I get a kick out of roasting them. It's a good teaching time. I get to roast them how I like them too so thats a bonus.

Dark and smokaaayyy!

We go through a gallon ziplock bag of Sumatran every month plus a 2 quart tin of "special" roast. Usually some kind of french espresso blend. Yeah, we're dangerous around coffee.

I tease The Blonde that it'll take us two weeks to stop movin once we die just to burn the caffeine off.

She doesnt think Im funny.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 20th, 2013, 06:13 PM

Fetch never tried roasting the beans, been thinking about giving it a try as I've seen the un-roasted beans for sale. My lady is a Tea person when I say coffee she looks at me like I stepped in something. But that just leaves more for me to enjoy, cause life has it's trade offs..Vernski

Old August 20th, 2013, 06:32 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Fetch never tried roasting the beans, been thinking about giving it a try as I've seen the un-roasted beans for sale. My lady is a Tea person when I say coffee she looks at me like I stepped in something. But that just leaves more for me to enjoy, cause life has it's trade offs..Vernski

Haha! it sure does. You can roast em real easy just get yourself one of those old airpop popcorn poppers (13 bucks at walmart), cut the bottom out of a tin can (to elongate the popper's neck), and buy green beans. They take longer the first pound or so as the popper gets seasoned but after that you get a stuffed gallon bag of beans in about 45 minutes. A tin in about 15 mins.

If you try it let me know how it turned out

If you need a step by step I'll take pics next time too. Too bad your not closer I'd just show ya over a steaming cup!

Now Im going to pm Jeannie to see if we can have a coffee drinking icon guy

Old August 27th, 2013, 10:40 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

A

yeahhhh! Today my needle scaler that Vernski MADE me buy came in.

I was running around in my undies since the kids are all in school so I couldn't pull the truck out for a real test, but I fired up my ultra-pressor and plugged it in. It's not really as loud as they make out on the youtube videos. You can run it without earplugs in a garage in your underwear.

But for any long term stuff I'll have ear protection on. And eye protection.
Here's my spot after about 20 seconds.

That part in the middle that looks like missed paint is shiny metal. I don't knwo why id didnt show up right.

It's not as fast as sandblasting, but the results are similar. And it's probably better on the lungs. I'll know more next weekend when I can get under there and really get after it.

Old August 28th, 2013, 04:37 AM

I knew you were good for an endorsement Harbor Freight will be pleased..Vernski

Old August 28th, 2013, 11:14 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
I knew you were good for an endorsement Harbor Freight will be pleased..Vernski

AHHH! I've been manipulated by tha' man! I feel like such a

Wait, maybe they'll send me money or more tools...Or maybe trade me money for tools. Yeah, this could work out!

Today I got in my order of gear oil for the differentials. I may have mentioned it but I ordered Red Line part number 57904, it's 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil. I ordered 3 quarts since they should take 1.3 quarts each. That'll leave me a little left over for learning and mistake-makin.

I also got in a set of rear ultra quiet brakes from Wagner. I can't put things on until next weekend but when I get started I gotta get a lot done because its only 4 weekends before I need to put the bed back on. Ive been taking pics of every kiddo on the stepside on their birthday since we got Cecilia and the next birthday is coming up quick!

Old August 29th, 2013, 08:07 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

I had to make a run to get some cedar logs for gate posts today with the lil' blonde. It was a good excuse to take Cecilia for a spin on a 30 mile run to see how she did engine-wise.

The engine held up great.....The tranny? Well... We'll get to that.

Things started off smooth. We gassed up with an extra 2 gallons just to be safe.

On the way, waving and singing

Quote:
Rollin' down a backwood
Tennessee highway
One arm OWWNNNNN Tha wheel!
Hold my munchkin,
with the other
A sweet soft southern thrill!
Worked hard All Week,
Got a little jingle (ching!)
On a tennessee SAAAAT-ur-dee night!
Couldn't feel better
We're together
With my Dixieeeeeee land Delight!
Those aren't all the right lyrics but we sing funny. Be glad you werent there.

At the sawmill we met a big longhorn bull. We thought he was a car salesman because as soon as we saw him he started this...

Logs loaded, headin back

Then it happened on this winding stretch with grass so high it was over the roof in some places....SCREEEEEECHHHH!!!!!

I had just let off the gas a little and the transmission or the transfer case let out a loud squeal like rubbing metal. We were still about 10 miles from the house. We started prayin.

When I pressed the gas petal again (put it under load) it stopped altogether. Then it squealed constantly any time I let off the gas to slow down or pushed in the clutch to shift. Anytime the engine wasn't pushing on it the tranny or transfer case was singing it's banshee song.

I got out at the next stop sign to take a peek but nothing was hanging out, tied up in the axle or looked suspicious so it had to be inside somewhere. I thought maybe squirting the transfer case with all that water under high pressure caused it to suck up water and maybe that was the problem.

We made it home thankfully. i put the baby down for a nap and pulled out the book to see how to drain and refill the fluids right quick.

The manual said "check the fluids. To work on it drain and replace the fluids. See another page:

that page said "fill to top of filler plug". No help at all!

I just bought an owners manual and thankfully it told me the capacities, but not the where/how to!

Grrr

So I crawled under her and looked. There's too many plugs.
Transfer case:

Tranny:

I asked in the transmissions forum. Hopefully someone will have an idea for me.

Old August 29th, 2013, 09:19 PM

Looks like your on the right track Pepsi the plug at the lower level is the drain. When empty replace the drain plug leave the top plug out then fill with gear oil till it runs out then replace the plug. Most all trucks and pickups are the same in the way of checking the level of rear,trans or trans-case. In finding what is making the noise take off the drive shaft. Run the engine with the transmission in gear and that being a 4 wheel take the front shaft off also. that should tell you where the noise is coming from. It is possible it could be a U joint but I don't think so. The process of elimination as simple as it gets. Hey that Red Line gear oil is good stuff the fleet I drove for used it in all there trucks. Good luck on the problem..Vernski