6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old April 3rd, 2018, 05:55 AM

Truck: 66 short box 305E
shortwide is on a distinguished road
Default engine swap

Hello all. Need to get our 66 back on the road. the truck has sat in the garage for the better part of 10 years. Tried starting it when we moved to our new house. Got it started but the old 305 was loosing more oil out the tail pipe than I thought was possible. Question being I have a 454 in garage and was thinking of putting that in temporarily till I can fix the v6. Will the 454 drop in with some minor wiring etc. Just want to get out and drive it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-03-10 17.42.59.jpg (1.03 MB, Multiple views, 15 clicks)
Old April 3rd, 2018, 07:19 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: engine swap

"Drop in"? No. Minor work? No.
This is more of a major decision than a temporary motor, in my opinion.

Are you talking blue smoke out the tail pipe?

Flush all oil out clean passages. Refill with thicker oil. Check all Crankcase ventilation components and replace hoses. See if you can get a change.

The quick and easy thing to do is find another 305 for $200 and pop it in while other is rebuilt.

Last edited by AZKen; April 3rd, 2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 08:08 PM

Truck: 1965
Sonic65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortwide View Post
Hello all. Need to get our 66 back on the road. the truck has sat in the garage for the better part of 10 years. Tried starting it when we moved to our new house. Got it started but the old 305 was loosing more oil out the tail pipe than I thought was possible. Question being I have a 454 in garage and was thinking of putting that in temporarily till I can fix the v6. Will the 454 drop in with some minor wiring etc. Just want to get out and drive it.
AZKEN is right, SHORTWIDE. Swapping out the 305 for a 454 or any other engine will not be a minor task. A few things you will/may have to do:re-configure exhaust, motor mount placements on cross-member, throttle linkage, probably a bigger radiator, engine mounting to existing tranny. Will installing the 454 require the entire drive-train to have to be adjust forward or back? If so, transmission mount location modification and drive-line lengthening or shortening. If you move the transmission mount, the hand brake cables will need to be adjusted. This is all off the top of my head. Oh, and fuel line modifications will most likely have to be done.

Back in 1993, I inherited my grandfather's 65 with V6. Back then I was 19 and the internet did not connect folks like it does today. Shoot, I did not own a computer. Anyway, the engine did not run and my small town parts store had little parts for the V6 so I put in a Chivy 350/350 combo and got it back on the road. There was a lot of mods I had to do. Now, I am in the process of building up the original 305E and putting it back in the truck with the original transmission.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 09:20 PM

hmmm.. Yeah it actually drips out of the exhaust with blue smoke. I don't mind doing some work modifying some things to put a temp motor in. Temp motor may have to be in there 3 or 4 years till we get the money to redo the truck. I have a set of big block towers from a 72 kicking around and an auto crossmember some drive lines. Didn't wan't to do a small block due to the weight difference.
Old April 4th, 2018, 10:40 AM

Truck: 1969 4000 ToroFlow, Massey Ferguson 1100 with a 478, Payloader with a 305, all adapted in my shop
massey478 is on a distinguished road

I suggest finding the source of the oil before going to the extreme of trying to fit in the 454. Look at spark plugs, is it one cylinder or all? How is compression? Even, or one or more out of balance? I have never seen a motor pump actual liquid oil out the tailpipe, especially with no evidence of where it is coming from. I have done changes like the 454 idea. The famous statement at the start is "I could just swap" but then when you get into it, too deep to back out, flat wallet, reality sets in. We have a farm shop here that is more fully equipped than most repair garages and still have to work hard to make it happen too often. How did the motor run when parked? Was it that bad then? If not, find and fix the problem.
Old April 4th, 2018, 09:36 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic65 View Post
AZKEN is right, SHORTWIDE. Swapping out the 305 for a 454 or any other engine will not be a minor task. A few things you will/may have to do:re-configure exhaust, motor mount placements on cross-member, throttle linkage, probably a bigger radiator, engine mounting to existing tranny. Will installing the 454 require the entire drive-train to have to be adjust forward or back? If so, transmission mount location modification and drive-line lengthening or shortening. If you move the transmission mount, the hand brake cables will need to be adjusted. This is all off the top of my head. Oh, and fuel line modifications will most likely have to be done.

Back in 1993, I inherited my grandfather's 65 with V6. Back then I was 19 and the internet did not connect folks like it does today. Shoot, I did not own a computer. Anyway, the engine did not run and my small town parts store had little parts for the V6 so I put in a Chivy 350/350 combo and got it back on the road. There was a lot of mods I had to do. Now, I am in the process of building up the original 305E and putting it back in the truck with the original transmission.
I agree with them. Check to see if you can find the oil source. For a suggestion I would pull the valve cover to see if the oil drain back passages is plugged with sludge. If it was it would allow the oil to slip down the worn exhaust valve guide into the exhaust.
Old April 11th, 2018, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the replies. I pulled the truck in over the weekend checked the oil drain passages. there's some build up but nothing plugged. was unable to get engine started again even with starting fluid. did find the heat riser on the exhaust rusted closed. In my opinion the motor needs to come out and get new gaskets and seals and any thing else that may come up.
Old April 12th, 2018, 12:56 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Back in the old days we never pulled a motor. Did all the work in place. Not easy but doable unless block machining is needed.