6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Other Rides and Projects

Other Rides and Projects Working on another year GMC? Maybe a Chevy, Dodge, F*rd, or even refinishing cabinets? Share your progress or start a build thread and let members follow along!

Old January 22nd, 2014, 10:25 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default 1949 Ford Tractor

I get a kick out of old stuff. It's no wonder I like old trucks. This here isn't really my project but my FIL's. He uses it to haul stuff around, run a brush hog, and do general yard stuff and pulling. It's not too loud, smells like gas fumes, and is fun as heck to drive. Even more fun to look at

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I uploaded them to an album here under the Picture Albums link too. Jeannie if that's not allowed (not a 6066 gmc) then just delete them and Ill upload them somewhere else.

Posted just for fun. I hope you guys get a kick out of them.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:02 AM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 K1500
pasadenajim is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1949 Ford Tractor

Beautiful old tractor! Nice too to have the room for such a project. Keep the posts and pictures coming!!
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:02 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road

You took some great pictures there Fetch! That is a very nice original 8N. And being an old tractor kinda guy, I sure appreciate the nice patina, or as they say in the business: "farm fresh". It appears that all the original parts are there and it still has it's original air cleaner. Real nice utility tractor, and there are still about 16 zillion of those "N" series tractors running around and working every day. Thanks.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:22 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup
Culver Adams is on a distinguished road

Hello Fetch, 6066ers, and Tractor Aficionados,

Fetch, concerning readers getting a kick out of your FIL's 8N photos, how can anybody not get a kick of a mid-century machine that converts gasoline to fire and hauls stuff? And, it has tires, with the nicest tread I've seen in a long time on a working tractor. And, I don't see any dings in the grill--what happened to trees and fence posts in Kansas? They, and overwhelming snow drifts, have poked at every tractor's snout in Minnesota. Ford's 3-point hitch connects to more implements than I can count, but I've not seen (until your photo) the five-gallon-bucket-transporter attachment. I have to get to more farm auctions to see if I can find one.

Regards and Thanks for making my day,

Culver Adams
Minneapolis MN
1961 GMC K-1500 (on the road)
1951 John Deere B (on the long road to restoration)
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:21 PM

Truck: Drove and Owned Many
BillT is on a distinguished road

Nice 8N. As mentioned above it looks like it is in pretty good original condition. Although some like the patina, I could just picture it with fresh new paint in the original colors. A friend of mine restores Tractors. They sure look beautiful when completed. I also attend Antique Farm Tractor Pulls now and then and besides the pulls, it is an automatic Tractor Show as well. They usually park them together, Fords with Fords, John Deere with John Deere, etc.

I had a '46 Ford 2N years ago. One style before the 8N. The 9's were first, then the 2's, then the 8's.

I now have a John Deere (a '59 Model 435).

Bill

-'60 GMC 2500 Dump, 305 V-6
-'62 GMC 4000 Flatbed, 305 V-6
-'62 GMC 6500 Flatbed Dump, 478 V-6
-'67 GMC 7500 Box, 6V-53 Detroit
-'71 GMC 9500 Flatbed Dump, 637 V-8

Last edited by BillT; January 24th, 2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old January 24th, 2014, 11:56 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

My former employer,

, had a big fleet of those old Ford tractors for maintaining their 2500 acres of pear orchards. None of them performed like this one though:

. I wonder if he's rolled it yet?
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:35 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Beautiful old tractor! Nice too to have the room for such a project. Keep the posts and pictures coming!!
Nah, I don't own it. It's my father in law's tractor. I do get to play with it when we visit though. He says I might inherit it if I get some land to play with later in life. I'd sure love that

Quote:
You took some great pictures there Fetch! That is a very nice original 8N. And being an old tractor kinda guy, I sure appreciate the nice patina, or as they say in the business: "farm fresh". It appears that all the original parts are there and it still has it's original air cleaner. Real nice utility tractor, and there are still about 16 zillion of those "N" series tractors running around and working every day. Thanks.

Thanks! I kinda think it's beautiful how it is too. It looks like something you can use and enjoy. I'm glad to know theres a lot of other ones too because that means lots of available parts!

Quote:
Hello Fetch, 6066ers, and Tractor Aficionados,

Fetch, concerning readers getting a kick out of your FIL's 8N photos, how can anybody not get a kick of a mid-century machine that converts gasoline to fire and hauls stuff? And, it has tires, with the nicest tread I've seen in a long time on a working tractor. And, I don't see any dings in the grill--what happened to trees and fence posts in Kansas? They, and overwhelming snow drifts, have poked at every tractor's snout in Minnesota. Ford's 3-point hitch connects to more implements than I can count, but I've not seen (until your photo) the five-gallon-bucket-transporter attachment. I have to get to more farm auctions to see if I can find one.

Regards and Thanks for making my day,

Culver Adams
Minneapolis MN
1961 GMC K-1500 (on the road)
1951 John Deere B (on the long road to restoration)
Culver I could read your "yarns" every day and not get bored. You've got a way of paintin a picture! The hitch there is a homemade hauler he put together for moving wood and grandkids. It works great for both, only squeaks with grandkids but I think it's the cargo shifting making the noise

as for the dentless front, isn't that cool? I think it's great that it's still in such good shape. It spent its life on a small hay farm before he got it. Its being babied now just running around on gentle sloping ground. I guess it's in semi-retirement like the old man running it.

Quote:
Nice 8N. As mentioned above it looks like it is in pretty good original condition. Although some like the patina, I could just picture it with fresh new paint in the original colors. A friend of mine restores Tractors. They sure look beautiful when completed. I also attend Antique Farm Tractor Pulls now and then and besides the pulls, it is an automatic Tractor Show as well. They usually park them together, Fords with Fords, John Deere with John Deere, etc.

I had a '46 Ford 2N years ago. One style before the 8N. The 9's were first, then the 2's, then the 8's.

I now have a John Deere (a '59 Model 435).

Bill
That sounds like a fun place to be. Wish I was good at socializing at get-togethers but I always freeze up and never know what to say.

Which was your favorite and why? The 2n, 8n, or the deere?

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 25th, 2014, 05:31 PM

Well, my favorite of all 3 Fords is what your FIL has, the 8N. It has some improvements on it compared to the others.

Now although I always liked Ford Tractors, I got hooked on John Deere by going to the Tractor Pulls. They were a challenge to learn though as they not only have different series of each year, they also have variations of each series.

Although a great little Tractor, my 9N was getting to be a little small for me and I was looking to move up. I considered Ford, JD and a few others, but what really won me over to JD was when I was at a farm one day and the guy there showed me his '59 JD 435 with the factory 2-53 Detroit Diesel in it. I never knew they made one and was pretty impressed with it, especially since I was an old Detroit fan. It was also a step or two up in size, just about to what I was looking for. I didn't buy his, but some years later I bought another one near by, the one I still have today.

Although mine is a Diesel and a lot of people don't like the 2-Cylinder Gas "putt-putts" I've also learned to appreciate them as well. If the right one became available, I would be looking to buy another as a 2nd Tractor.

Bill

Last edited by BillT; January 25th, 2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old January 26th, 2014, 06:41 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: 1949 Ford Tractor

Great thread Fetch. I'd like to add my two cents. Antique tractor pulls are a real kick!. And I'd differ with Bill's comment about people not liking the two cylinder John Deeres. If you're talking old tractors, the JD two cylinder or "Johnny Popper" is the heartbeat of America's power farming history. Incredible torque for machines that have two horizontal cylinders and they are NOT opposed like the VWs. (How do they do that?) Tremendous fun to watch them compete at tractor pulls or just plowing in the field. I've been playing with old tractors for about 18 years now and pretty much like all brands. Here is some of the stuff I play with. And remember boys: Real tractors don't have batteries!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tractorshed3.JPG (157.6 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg Rio Linda show May 2012.jpg (99.8 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg 38Case Mcfarland 2008.JPG (551.9 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
Old January 26th, 2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
And I'd differ with Bill's comment about people not liking the two cylinder John Deeres. If you're talking old tractors, the JD two cylinder or "Johnny Popper" is the heartbeat of America's power farming history.
I agree. It is an amazing engine and the Torque is really something. Some people just like to pick on them though.

...probably just jealous, lol.

Bill