6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old December 15th, 2016, 12:37 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Default Re: Leak... Tips?

My options are pretty limited over here. However, I've tracked down a couple of litres of a straight 90 mineral oil.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/gea...fferential_oil

It looks like Penrite has a classics range that I might be able to get ordered in without toooo much hassle (I really wish Australia had some decent auto-parts stores). But, in the meantime if I'm just looking for a top-up solution, I would think this is ok?
Old December 15th, 2016, 01:07 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmclendon View Post
My options are pretty limited over here. However, I've tracked down a couple of litres of a straight 90 mineral oil.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/gea...fferential_oil

It looks like Penrite has a classics range that I might be able to get ordered in without toooo much hassle (I really wish Australia had some decent auto-parts stores). But, in the meantime if I'm just looking for a top-up solution, I would think this is ok?
That should be fine. You're just topping it off so you don't want anything too expensive. Google tells me a lot of wrecking yards around you sell auto parts too. You might see if one of them has some cheaper stuff. I really wish you guys had a "general store" type place like WalMart. It would make life easier.

Oh wait, you guys have Kmart. They might have gear oil on the cheap! Also, it looks like Woolworths carries engine oil. They might have some too.

And Autobarn is here, though I don't know how close that is to you

https://www.autobarn.com.au/stores/?...tore_search&q=

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; December 15th, 2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old December 15th, 2016, 01:09 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
That should be fine. You're just topping it off so you don't want anything too expensive. Google tells me a lot of wrecking yards around you sell auto parts too. You might see if one of them has some cheaper stuff. I really wish you guys had a "general store" type place like WalMart. It would make life easier.

Oh wait, you guys have Kmart. They might have gear oil on the cheap!
They have Kmart. But, it's like a knockoff version lol. Their stock is limited to mobile phone holders sunshades.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Old December 15th, 2016, 02:12 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Is there a lot of agriculture going on in your area? If so there must be stores that deal supplies to farmers and ranchers. Usually they should carry a wide range of lubricants and tools that will adapt great to working on our old trucks.

We have "Tractor Supply Co." here and there are several others also. I do not know if they are international companies.

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old December 20th, 2016, 12:32 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Nothing local as far as tractor supply goes.... I'm in what passes for a city over here. But, I reckon I'd be able to find somewhere a couple of hours away. That's a fair bit closer than the other side of the Pacific lol thanks for the tip!

The good news is I don't think the leak is too bad yet. Round about 100 ml was all it took to top it up.

I can't say the way I did it was nearly as cool as the drum oil pump suggested earlier though. I ended up siphoning from above with some silicon tubing.