6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old December 7th, 2020, 11:48 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A rather Iowa find: 1961 GMC 1/2 ton Dually

If you have change the oil after you got it. I would check the oil filter. It is possible the previous owner never gave it proper care. With fresh oil it could have loosen up the crude, plugged the filter, and allow the oil filter bypass to open passing that crude to the bearings.
Old December 9th, 2020, 06:30 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 1002 GMC V6-305E
LEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have a 1956 GMC that is a 1/2 ton chassis (1000 series) with the deluxe big-window cab. It has a No-Mar wrecker unit (sling type) on the rear, powered by a PTO Ramsey winch.
The dually rear end is a 3/4 or 1 tom unit with drop out axles, and 17.5" rims that are still split-rims.
The motor is a 300+ cu. in. ( 332 or 336 I've been told, but could never confirm) of a Pontiac design.
I have owned this for well over 30 years, and I am the second owner, and it is still under 100K miles.
The '56 GMC 102 came with a Pontiac 316 engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 14th, 2021, 02:35 PM

Truck: 1961GMC K1500 4wd
Nick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Scrolling Facebook one evening I stumbled across an incredible find; a '61 GMC that looked clean, ran and rode under 100k miles, and was listed for the unbelievable price of $1000.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

The seller, a soon to be graduate, had this truck with no clue of what it was really worth. He and a few friends had bought it in Kansas a few years ago from a towing company. Lucky for me, he just needed it gone before moving back across the country. he wasn't too worried about the money, but wanted to keep it in the area which is commendable! Evidently, the few times she'd be driven were for tailgates at the "big games" and she'd become something of a celebrity among the campus houses and societies. I jumped on the deal, and despite a few big jobs ahead of real road worthiness, drove her home.

In the weeks since, this old girl has received some much needed TLC:
New hood hinges, necessitated by the previous owner and his friend pulling them off "because they were bent" and not replacing them.

New lines to the rear brakes- which had been disconnected for some ridiculous reason. And then a long process of flushing and bleeding.

Rewires and replacements on most of the lights and other electronics. Troubleshooting several electrical problems also leading to finding the original, and in terrible shape, sending unit. (replacement in the mail)

Some wiper blades, new mirrors, seat belts installed (for the first time in this pre-mounting required gal), and a good cleaning of the carb in my handy ultrasonic cleaner -which is usually meant for motorcycle parts.

(More images and detail to come)
Details I've figured out thus far:
1961 GMC 1/2 ton built in the Pontiac factory.
Engine: 305A
Carb: Probably a 2 barrel Strom' but there are not markings that I've found so far.

Bed: Flatbed built by towing company
Duals: No idea. research has shown that there are cases of dually 1/2 ton's, but were produced for commercial applications. (I'm thinking there was a frame swap at some point)
Interesting on the Dually , I and considering changing my key 1500 to a duly and wondering if anybody knows how easy that is to do since the studs on the rear axles are longer than the front ???