6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old July 15th, 2015, 09:25 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1960 GMC 1/2 ton SWB Fleetside
AngryPirate is on a distinguished road
Default 305a V6 ignition parts

Where do I find them?

I want a new:

- cap ( believe its a screw down type, not the 1/2 or 1/4 turn latching kind )
- rotor
- condenser
- coil
- wire set

I found some parts here, but I'm not sure of the cap since they don't show the underside.

If someone has bought these before and still has their order history and manufactorurer & part numbers, that would be super helpful.

Thanks,
Scott
Old July 16th, 2015, 06:28 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: 305a V6 ignition parts

Scott, you need to learn how to use the internet for parts more effectively. If you can't find them, we can help. But you need to try first. I found everything you want at the first place I tried , Rockauto. This is not to discourage you from posting a problem or question. Trying to inform you that all we do is look it up for you. Try O'Reilly's, Autozone, Napa, etc. or whatever you have in your town if you don't want to order online from Rockauto or your link. Usually if you have searched correctly and they say it fits, it most likely fits. Buying locally is always better to check the part at the counter and for returning. But I buy a lot from the internet because of price and not available locally.
P.S. I have the same truck you have....cool!

Last edited by AZKen; July 16th, 2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old July 16th, 2015, 07:19 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1960 GMC 1/2 ton SWB Fleetside
AngryPirate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
Scott, you need to learn how to use the internet for parts more effectively. If you can't find them, we can help. But you need to try first. I found everything you want at the first place I tried , Rockauto. This is not to discourage you from posting a problem or question. Trying to inform you that all we do is look it up for you. Try O'Reilly's, Autozone, Napa, etc. or whatever you have in your town if you don't want to order online from Rockauto or your link. Usually if you have searched correctly and they say it fits, it most likely fits. Buying locally is always better to check the part at the counter and for returning. But I buy a lot from the internet because of price and not available locally.
P.S. I have the same truck you have....cool!
Yeah, I have tried the Internet, a lot. the parts I received have been incorrect or don't match what's on my truck. For the most part, the truck is pretty much original, so I'm assuming that the ignition parts are still oem as well. I've also tried most of the usual online resources (lmc, classicindustries, classictruck, bowtiebits, etc, etc) as well as AutoZone, NAPA and Oreillys.

Quote:
Usually if you have searched correctly and they say it fits, it most likely fits.
Not true in the case of these trucks, in my experience. The parts at times are incorrect or they just don't have a listing for them.
I owned a 61' chevrolet truck with a more conventional v8 and parts for that were super easy to find.

I've ordered many ignition parts from Rock Auto that have turned out to not be correct for my truck.
I'm asking these questions here because all the other avenues have failed to yield the correct parts for this non-typical engine.
I have looked at other sites and they list parts for only the I-6 engines.

Please don't assume someone is Internet inept or hasn't already attempted other avenues when they most likely have.

The most likely case is, perhaps the distributor for my truck was switched out and is no longer oem and this is causing me to not find a match on all of the online resources.

Thanks for the 'advice'.
Old July 16th, 2015, 08:32 PM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Another quick search on O'Reillys website shows every part you need for 1960 GMC 1000 series 305 V6. But you say you have ****"tried" them. I recommended you go to a place like that so as to be sure it fits and returns are "no questions asked." There are 14 O'Reilly's in Austin. If you have an odd ball Dizzy, you will have to identify it before anyone can help you. But I doubt you do. You are welcome for the advice. I like to help those who are trying to help themselves.
Some parts for these motors are hard to find, some are not.

****("Please don't assume someone is Internet inept or hasn't already attempted other avenues when they most likely have.")

So go get your parts and get it running down the road.

Last edited by AZKen; July 16th, 2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old July 18th, 2015, 02:55 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

On the subject of Odd Ball dizzys...did anyone else ever have the dizzy with the dual vacuum port advance pump? My new one has a single hose, but my old one had two hoses coming from the pump.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 19th, 2015, 01:39 AM

Truck: 1960 3/4, 4 spd, stepside
Jim A is on a distinguished road

The thing I like about the various forums I visit, including this one, is the tradition of almost unfailing courtesy and helpfulness.
I don't read every post so there may be some "history" between Pirate and Ken that I have missed.
If not, then the courtesy I expect seemed a little strained here.
I hope it is a one-off.
Old July 19th, 2015, 01:54 AM

If you want to look up stuff for people who don't even try themselves, then they bite the hand that feeds them, why don't you look it up and help? instead of bashing on here. Your comment can only add to whatever "straining" is present. All my comments are full of genuine help in them, including a tip for a person on his very first post here. (That should have told you there is no history.) This issue had settled until you posted. The courtesy starts with not treating a forum as your secretary. "Hey look this stuff up for me guys while I go bowling".

Last edited by AZKen; July 19th, 2015 at 04:27 AM.
Old July 19th, 2015, 07:58 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPirate View Post
Where do I find them?

I want a new:

- cap ( believe its a screw down type, not the 1/2 or 1/4 turn latching kind )
- rotor
- condenser
- coil
- wire set

Thanks,
Scott
Scott -- Do you know if you still have the original 305A, or has it maybe replaced with a later 305E with the smaller distributor?

Ed
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old July 19th, 2015, 08:31 AM

Ed, after you posted I did some checking. Didn't know about smaller/larger dizzy. If vendors info is correct, I found that 60 and 63 use same cap but there are two choices for rotors, slip on pointer type and the two screw disc kind.

Last edited by AZKen; July 19th, 2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old July 19th, 2015, 08:13 PM

Here is some info from a GMC enthusiast and expert:

GMC v6 engines came with one of 3 different dizzies. First the externally adjusted style. Just like the 230-250-292 stuff. It has the spring arms to hold on the cap.
Next is the internal adjusted style. More or less the same as the later 235-261 Chevy and jimmy 248-270 302. Screw on cap.
Third is the externally adjusted dizzy with the governor control. This has 2 vacuum ports and is taller under the cap. These came on 1-1/2 ton and larger.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason for use of the first two styles. Though the externally adjusted caps seem a bit more common. Both styles have appeared on all series of 305 engines.