6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:12 AM

Truck: 1965 1000
PopEye is on a distinguished road
Default Hello and thank You.

Hello everyone. And again thank you all for such an excellent place for these beautiful trucks. I recently aquired a '65 1000 and must say the differences to its Chevy brother is astonishing. I thought leaf springs and the ugliest motor i ever seen were the only differnces. I felt like such an uneducated fool after only 10 minutes on the 6066 gmc guy page. This from a guy who has built maybe 100 cars and trucks since i was 15. Im going to fast. Hi, Im Michael, nice to meet you all and thank you again for educating an over educated, newly infatuated GMC owner. Have a great day everyone.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:00 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice
Default Re: Hello and thank You.

Welcome Popeye, (ah-ga-ga-ga!) from SoCalif. How about some pictures?!
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:51 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I just got the 75th anniversary edition of the Popeye cartoons for my kids because I said "I'm strong to the fin-itch cuz I eats me spin-itch" and they didn't have a clue. Had to fix that!

Anyway dont feel bad about the engine. Most people dont know the history of them and think they're just worthless boatanchors. They never stop to see them in context. You can do anything with em and then you tell people it's a 50 yr old 305....V6... and watch their eyes bug out.

Welcome to the cult!
Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys, working on pictures. I use my nokia semi-smart phone for internet so uploading pictures is a chore. Luckily my truck has a chevrolet 250 I-6 so i have plenty of time to build the 305E that is original and did come with the truck. Ive decided to mill the top from the factory intake, copper rivet and epoxy an aluminum flange to it, and mount a 4-71 gmc blower with 3 holley glass bowl 1-Vs i have laying around i think that would make me have one of the most unique big v6 around. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 08:19 PM

Truck: 1966 1/2 ton fleetside 8' bed
donrm is on a distinguished road

Whenever I tell someone it has a 351 I get the dumb look on their face, most of you have seen the look I know. In my case, they say with a question tone, a FORD motor ? In a GMC.
Those with the 305 probably get even the same Question look! I have never seen a boat anchor pull the kind of weight that these V-6's can handle. I honestly don't believe there is a limit. I haven't hooked up to anything yet that my 351 couldn't handle. Well you's know!
donrm Cinti. Oh 1966 GMC 351E 8' fleetside. I enjoy the site
Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:16 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrm View Post
Whenever I tell someone it has a 351 I get the dumb look on their face, most of you have seen the look I know. In my case, they say with a question tone, a FORD motor ? In a GMC.
Those with the 305 probably get even the same Question look! I have never seen a boat anchor pull the kind of weight that these V-6's can handle. I honestly don't believe there is a limit. I haven't hooked up to anything yet that my 351 couldn't handle. Well you's know!
donrm Cinti. Oh 1966 GMC 351E 8' fleetside. I enjoy the site
Yeah, I know the look.
Worst is the one time I sent the wife to the store for parts for the 305. She came back with 8 plugs, 8 wires, and a cap with 8 connections. She tells me that the clerk insisted it had to be a v8 no matter how many times she said it was a 6.
I went in, got the same clerk, who was an idiot. Older employee heard us talking (clerk was insisting I must be not seeing the other 2) came over to find out what was wrong. After hearing the problem, he took the cap, plug wires and 2 plugs back from me (credit) then got me the right parts.
Of course I am standing there, pissed and filthy...

You want looks though,mention that the v6 came in a 401 and 478 configuration. They'll look at you like you are nuts!
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:56 PM

i get those looks when i tell them that my truck is not a f*+#='g chevrolet, and then i pull out the phone and make em read some of these pages, then they have the same reply, well **** i never knew that,lol. maybe the chevy hubcaps i have on it are throwing them? need some GMC caps, even if they are crusty, my truck is crusty, thats hows i likes em.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:20 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Period caps can be expensive but you can buy 73-87(?) caps and they'll fit too. Just paint them and nobody knows but you and the 10 people in each town that know what a 60's GMC is.
Old July 24th, 2013, 03:06 AM

May just use a set of 4x4 rallye (ralley, rally?) wheels and use hubcaps and rings, i dunno. Im kind of an old and rusty dusty funky kinda guy, so ill probly just make sure shes **** road worthy but leave the rest as is, max petina and all. I climb trees and haul fire wood so she will most likely live in the woods and on the worst dirt roads in north america.
Old July 24th, 2013, 05:16 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Heh, that's was me. Now I'm digging deeper and deeper into her bits and pieces. After I got her running I had to get her not leaking anywhere. And as that goes on I'm finding other little things I want to do. It's like picking at threads

Good luck with the pics. I cant wait to see her.