6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old July 25th, 2013, 01:48 AM

Truck: 1965 1000
PopEye is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hello and thank You.

Uploaded a few pics. Trying to get this thing wired with some lights and signals. Ive found 60 wire nuts and around 17 rolls worth of electric tape and 900 diffrent colors and lenths of wire under her. trying to figure out a way to wire a universal turn signal switch to work without the brake light switch canceling my signal on the rear and lighting up the front signals. May have temporary tail/turn lights but ill have the same problem at night since i still have nothing to cancel out the tail light power. Im seeing a hi dolla painless harness in gussys future. Wonder in the tilt in the wifes 87 buick somerset would fit. But then how would i convince her that thats not her steering column in my truck, the neighborhood kids must have stolen hers.
Old July 25th, 2013, 08:47 AM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopEye View Post
Trying to get this thing wired with some lights and signals. Ive found 60 wire nuts and around 17 rolls worth of electric tape and 900 diffrent colors and lenths of wire under her. trying to figure out a way to wire a universal turn signal switch to work without the brake light switch canceling my signal on the rear and lighting up the front signals. May have temporary tail/turn lights but ill have the same problem at night since i still have nothing to cancel out the tail light power. Im seeing a hi dolla painless harness in gussys future.
Well, there is the "simple" solution. Rewire it. Let the brake operate the brake lights and add two more lights on the back for turn signals. Separate out the turn from the brake.
Tell folks its the new "euro style" or something.

You could do this for now so you could at least drive the truck... Not the most elegant or glamourous method, but it works and is cheap.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old July 25th, 2013, 01:04 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

"I've found 60 wire nuts and around 17 rolls worth of electric tape and 900 diffrent colors and lenths of wire under her."

hahahahahahhaahh best laugh I had in a while, oh man my first GMC was really bad for that. PO NEVER heard of butt connectors or any other entry leval electrical connector. I acutally found 12/2 wiring BION.
Old July 25th, 2013, 02:21 PM

I think I may be leaning toward mounting small 3 bulb LEDs inside the stock front and rear lamps to wire as turn signals. That way only my steering column looks janky and "added" on to with the big black dump truck turn switch. Only have to drill a small hole for the wires and the LED itself will just gorrila glue to the back of the lamp housing. For a buck 99 each and a 10,000 hour life, I dont see a better or more elegant solution.
Old July 25th, 2013, 04:05 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Personally I wouldn't "gorilla glue" anything on the truck. If you don't hate it later because you didn't do it right then the next owner will throw lit bags of fertilizer on your doorstep when he has to get that glue off.

What's wrong with the standard hookups? Are you just having trouble with the turn signal?
Old July 25th, 2013, 08:16 PM

The wiring in the column has been completely gutted out. MEK makes gorilly glue come riiight loose,lol. I will have to start another thread to give the back story on this truck. But since its been in my circle of buddys its been thru heck. I basically got it cause i broke the frame on my 90 F250 and i HAVE to have a truck to make a living. So i traded some time for a truck. Well pieces of a truck and been "cobbleing" it back together, so as to use it with my daily business till i get another newer truck to drive around and haul my saws and junk. When that happens, Gussy will be restored to her stock glory. Only change will be that im keepin my granny trans instead of going back to Three on da tree.