6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes

Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes Keep them doggies rollin', rawhide

Old November 26th, 2014, 06:28 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Please Identify these Wheels

Like to hear everyone's opinion on what these are. I see a difference in the hub area. Both are 6 lug with clips but different center piece shape. Why are they different? Are the both GM?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rims.JPG (825.1 KB, Multiple views, 24 clicks)
Old November 26th, 2014, 10:13 PM

Truck: 1960 Model 1002 Custom Wideside
1960HDGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Please Identify these Wheels

AZKen, I believe the one on the right is a Chevrolet truck wheel. Is it about 1/2 inch wider than the GMC Wheel? The one on the left is a mystery. It may be a Cameo wheel. I was just about to start a thread to figure all these wheels out. I finally got a picture from a known original 1960 GMC, that shows the factory wheel. You can see that there is a flat area that is not on your right wheel. I think the Chevy wheel is also 1/2 inch wider than the GMC. Are these both 15 inch wheels? There may be 16 inch wheels and 17.5 wheels for GMC from this era too. Later, Greg Mead
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMC 001.jpg (59.3 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
Old November 26th, 2014, 10:24 PM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Thanks Greg. Keep the info coming as you discover what these are. The one the left has an extra "ring". You may be calling that a flat. That's is also a good name. Your picture is very hard to see for me. I can not see the feature for sure. Did not know there was a Cameo wheel. I have not yet seen these in person. I think two came from 60-61 GMC or Chevy, not positive yet.

Last edited by AZKen; November 26th, 2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old November 26th, 2014, 10:48 PM

AZKen, I started that post about all these wheels. Maybe we can figure them all out. I will post a picture here of my wheel. Maybe the color will let you see the detail better. The flat area is around the place where the rim and the center piece connect. It is as if the wheel was on a potters wheel, and someone ran there finger along that seam, if that makes any sense. Also, look for numbers all over the wheels you have. There are part numbers out there, and I listed what I have on the new wheels thread. Hope this helps, Greg Mead
Attached Images
File Type: jpg today 008.JPG (923.1 KB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)
File Type: jpg 007.JPG (887.5 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
Old November 26th, 2014, 11:10 PM

I can not get a visual of them for a few days to decide on them. I see what you are saying about the flat, however I see that the one, in my pic, on left has a wider flat and does not narrow (like yours) as it passes between connecting nubs (where the openings are). Do you see that difference?...or is it the size scale of pic?
Old November 26th, 2014, 11:30 PM

A. Throckmorton, I believe a member here, has a site, GMC Guy.com, that shows a GMC wheel like the left hand one. I think. He says that they switched to non clip about 62. He does not say if the GMC is the same as Chevy. I did not supply his pic without permission. I am getting confused a little. First , I want to know if early GMC wheels are same as Chevy, then I want to know what they look like and what size they were. Barry says that my 60 could have had 15" or 16". I hope he chimes in. Barry posted a picture in my build post. I'm not sure if it looks like either one of my two wheels shown. His also has 6 clips not 3. I guess there a lot more 6 lug wheels than I thought. I hope you get all the Chevy and GMC ,1/2T 2WD and 4WD, 15" and 16" and xx", truck wheels from that era and post pics and info. I don't find a place on net with that info yet.

Last edited by AZKen; November 26th, 2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old November 27th, 2014, 02:01 AM

I see our Wheel Post answers one of my questions. 1000 and K1000 used 15",16" and 17.5". Don't understand last sheet re: Series 10 is 17.5? Remind me what a series is. ?????? Model is 1000-K1000.
Old November 27th, 2014, 07:39 PM

Hey AZKen, Sorry ,I forgot to post that the Sheet with the "C" Series info was from the 1960 Chevrolet Trucks Parts Supplement. I got it to be able to compare and contrast part numbers. Many parts are the same number for both makes in 1960,while many are not. I was told by Tom Myers that the Chevy wheels were a different width and had the same profile as the 1960 GMC wheel, minus the flat area. In other words, The Chevy wheel has the arched shape that goes all the way to the rim. I want to say that I had one beside my wheel once, but I can not find the picture. Your wheel on the right appears to be the Chevy wheel from 1960.
I am going to ad a page from a 1963-70 GMC Book, that has part numbers for wheels, as I get it scanned. I have never seen a 16 inch wheel for a 1/2 ton 1960 GMC. Has anyone ever seen one? We need more pictures of known original wheels on there original truck. My wheels are replacements, and I can not say they are original absolutely. But according to everyone I have asked, they are correct for my 1960 1002 GMC. The picture I added of the GMC trucks on the delivery trailer support this. I found a "NT stamped on my wheels also. I wonder if that is for "N" Series "Truck".
Finally, I have not been able to find a database that is comprehensive enough to rule out this wheel or that for certain year models. We simply must have pictures of known original wheels, and redundant pictures from other surviving trucks, to help support each wheels authenticity. Then maybe we can develop a listing of each years wheels that can help folks with these different 6-Lug Wheels. Thanks for all the help, Greg Mead
Old November 27th, 2014, 11:20 PM

Good approach. When I get these wheels I will find the Kelsey Hayes PN/date code and all markings and report. Barry says he has seen 3, 4 and 6 clip wheels from back then. I have now noticed that also. Could be specific years or specific truck or just a vendors choice at the time. Further study and incoming verified info needed, as you say. As far as Cameo goes, I think the wheels have a set of nubs for full Cameo/Suburban Carrier caps. A universal wheel for dog dish or full. There are 16" wheels with 6 clips, 6 lugs and in the shapes shown. I don't know if you would call them GMC or Chevy or both. Source: Barry, Ebay, Jim Carter/Rob English.

Last edited by AZKen; November 28th, 2014 at 12:02 AM.