6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old December 9th, 2020, 02:40 PM

Truck: 1966
RedElvis is on a distinguished road
Default Converting from 318 to 326..

Yep, I have a SM318/9 long shaft in my '66 GMC 1000 that is popping out of 3 gear under load.. In the shed I have a 326 Muncie from a '69 Chevy truck that was behind a 350.. Got the trans and driveshaft w/yoke from the guy who said it was working great, just wanted a 4 speed. I've been told I'll need is the rods that will connect it to the column as the ones with the 318/9 are too short.. I know you fellas convert these to floor shift or remove them to put in better 4 speed transmissions but I just want to leave mine on the column.. Anybody have some rods and hardware that will work for me? I'll certainly pay something for them and the S&H to Charlotte NC 28216.. Also, I've read that I'll need a smaller bearing retainer from a car transmission.. Will the retainer from a 4 speed Muncie or 330 Muncie due in this case?

Last edited by RedElvis; December 9th, 2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old December 9th, 2020, 04:49 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Converting from 318 to 326..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedElvis View Post
Yep, I have a SM318/9 long shaft in my '66 GMC 1000 that is popping out of 3 gear under load.. In the shed I have a 326 Muncie from a '69 Chevy truck that was behind a 350.. Got the trans and driveshaft w/yoke from the guy who said it was working great, just wanted a 4 speed. I've been told I'll need is the rods that will connect it to the column as the ones with the 318/9 are too short.. I know you fellas convert these to floor shift or remove them to put in better 4 speed transmissions but I just want to leave mine on the column.. Anybody have some rods and hardware that will work for me? I'll certainly pay something for them and the S&H to Charlotte NC 28216.. Also, I've read that I'll need a smaller bearing retainer from a car transmission.. Will the retainer from a 4 speed Muncie or 330 Muncie due in this case?
Buying rods youd have more luck in the Marketplace section. Have you done a teeth count etc to make sure it'll fit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 10th, 2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
Buying rods youd have more luck in the Marketplace section. Have you done a teeth count etc to make sure it'll fit?
Teeth meaning spline count on the input shaft or output shaft?
Old December 11th, 2020, 01:57 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 1002 GMC V6-305E
LEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enough

when i did my first conversion, it was a have to. the most daunting thing is that you will have to reduce the o/d of the front main drive retainer. i did mine on a bench grinder and took off just enough for the retainer to go in the pilot hole in the bell housing. and a sm-326 is a Saginaw, not a muncie.

Last edited by LEWISMATKIN; December 11th, 2020 at 02:00 AM. Reason: added info.
Old December 11th, 2020, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Converting from 318 to (edit) 330..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEWISMATKIN View Post
when i did my first conversion, it was a have to. the most daunting thing is that you will have to reduce the o/d of the front main drive retainer. i did mine on a bench grinder and took off just enough for the retainer to go in the pilot hole in the bell housing. and a sm-326 is a Saginaw, not a muncie.
Thanks for the input.. More proof I don't know what I'm doing and need some help here... LOL.. Anyway, I looked further in to what I actually have and it turns out it's a Muncie 330, which came out of a '69 Chevy Longhorn truck that had a 4 bolt main 350.. I also got the (5505) bell housing, clutch fork, throw out bearing and driveshaft that day.. I'm hoping it will all bolt right up to my 250 L6.. Still need those shifter rods from a column shift truck though. Don't want to cut a hole in the floor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5777.JPG (1.88 MB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
Old December 12th, 2020, 12:35 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedElvis View Post
Thanks for the input.. More proof I don't know what I'm doing and need some help here... LOL.. Anyway, I looked further in to what I actually have and it turns out it's a Muncie 330, which came out of a '69 Chevy Longhorn truck that had a 4 bolt main 350.. I also got the (5505) bell housing, clutch fork, throw out bearing and driveshaft that day.. I'm hoping it will all bolt right up to my 250 L6.. Still need those shifter rods from a column shift truck though. Don't want to cut a hole in the floor.
Greetings, Red Elvis!

You are in luck. That V-8 Bell Housing will bolt up to your 250 L6. The clutch should bolt up as well unless the V-8 had a larger diameter clutch assembly. Most were equipped with a 10" clutch assembly. Larger clutches were used in heavy duty applications.

Last edited by George Bongert; December 12th, 2020 at 12:38 PM. Reason: correction of an error
Old December 13th, 2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bongert View Post
Greetings, Red Elvis!

You are in luck. That V-8 Bell Housing will bolt up to your 250 L6. The clutch should bolt up as well unless the V-8 had a larger diameter clutch assembly. Most were equipped with a 10" clutch assembly. Larger clutches were used in heavy duty applications.
That is great news! I am going to be thrilled not to hear the grind downshifting into first when I 'right on red' and 'roll in reverse.' Anyone know if the trans mount lands in the same holes?