6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes

Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes Keep them doggies rollin', rawhide

Old May 9th, 2013, 07:40 PM

Truck: 1965 2500 panel
drembo is on a distinguished road
Default removing rear drums on 2500

Well, I guess I am more of a noobie than I thought. I just acquired a '65 2500 panel truck and I don't know how to pull the rear drums. I have done my share of cars in my past, but never worked on anything this big. Someone is gonna give me a repair manual for my birthday in a couple of weeks, so I don't want to get one now but I want to start going through the brakes. How do I pull the rear drums after removing the wheels?
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:58 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: removing rear drums on 2500

Around back of the drum theres a little peep hole that you can stick a flathead screwdriver into. Inside there is a gear that you poke with the screwdriver and move up or down depending on if you wanna tighten or loosen the brakes against the drum. if i remember you poke the screwdriver in and move the gear up about 20 times or so to loosen, down to tighten. the screwdriver pokes into the gears teeth and turns it up or down as you poke. Dont just poke it in and wiggle it up and down.
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:00 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, and you dont have the parking brake on do you? LOL
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:45 PM

Well, I don't think this drum is coming off without removing the bolts form the hub. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks to me like the drum and that outer hub business are all one piece.
The drum rotates freely, there is not parking brake on the rear drums, I think the parking brake locks up something at the rear of the transmission, and I think that is how it is for all 2500 and 3500 models.
Since you mentioned the star wheel access hole, I don't have any on my front backing plates. Not sure how one goes about adjusting the brakes after a rebuild.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear drum.jpg (100.5 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:12 AM

Truck: 1965 930 & 1965 K20 & 65 C10 combining into one truck.
quest is on a distinguished road

Wow, it does not appear that you ever got an answer to your question on how to remove the rear drums.
I assume by now you have your manual and the drums are off? but if not.....

This is a full floating hub system, the hub and drum are separate from the axle. The center of the hub has bolts holding the axle in place. there may be tabs holding bolts from turning and you will have to bend these away from the bolts and remove them all. Have an oil drain bucket under the hub as gear oil should start to drain from the hub when you pull the axle out. The hub and drum will stay in place.

When you look inside the hub you will find a bearing retainer nut with a lock ring behind it. The lock ring will likely have at least two or more tabs bent down over the nut to hold it in place. use a screw driver and tap them back just enough to allow the bearing retainer nut to turn. don't bend the tabs all the way back they need to be able to be bent back down again.

After you have the assembly apart you can wiggle the hub enough to fish out the outer bearing and then just ease the whole hub and drum off of the axle housing. When re-assembling pay close attention the the instructions in the manual about bearing adjustment this is very important.

Also very important attach a note to your steering wheel to top up your differential gear oil before driving the truck. I made this mistake once and trust me you will only make it once!

(Also the front drums will have retainer screws holding them to the face of the hub.)
Old May 25th, 2013, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the response. I got the drums off last week. The shoes were pretty much down to metal and the drums were totally FUBAR. I have some new drums coming for the rear, shoes all the way around and am currently rebuilding the master and wheel cylinders.
Old May 25th, 2013, 06:02 PM

Truck: 1965 930 & 1965 K20 & 65 C10 combining into one truck.
quest is on a distinguished road

Sounds great good luck with your project.
Old May 27th, 2013, 11:26 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 3500 Rescue Squad
6066gmcguy is on a distinguished road

I guess I didn't see this post as I could have helped, but I'm thinking you don't need that now.

anyway I posted photos and some info on my site years ago that cover the GM H-072 Rear Axle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on FacePage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
1965 GMC 3500 Custom Rescue Squad {Black Built Bodies}
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.