6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old April 27th, 2014, 02:02 AM

Truck: 65 K15 4X4
Larry is on a distinguished road
Default Dana 60 Hub Nut Size & Torque

I need to check the torque on the spindle nuts on the rear hubs. I have a 60 rear. What size is the socket? Its not 2 9/16 like everything else I've ever owned! Its smaller. Also what is the torque for inner and outer nut? Thanks!
Old April 29th, 2014, 03:26 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dana 60 Hub Nut Size & Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I need to check the torque on the spindle nuts on the rear hubs. I have a 60 rear. What size is the socket? Its not 2 9/16 like everything else I've ever owned! Its smaller. Also what is the torque for inner and outer nut? Thanks!
Hi Larry, I have a Dana 60 in a '72 GMC. I have never bought a socket. This method may be too crude for folks here, but I have been driving and working on this truck since 1979 and it is still doing fine.

I use a cold chisel to knock the jam nut loose. The inner nut should back off without much persuasion maybe even with your fingers. When adjusting the play with the inner nut I do it the same way as a front wheel bearing. Tighten it up until the hub has drag on it then back it off 'till there is just a little play in the hub. Not visible movement really, but you can feel a little play.

There should be a keyed washer with bend tabs between the 2 nuts that secures the outer lock nut. Just give the outer nut a whack with the chisel in the tighten direction and bend a couple tabs to the flats of the nut.

I can't tell you if your Dana is like mine but since you got no replies I figured I'd share my low-tech method!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old July 3rd, 2014, 05:11 PM

Truck: 64 GMC
duallyjams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Surely some one knows ?
Old July 4th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Temporarily Suspended

Truck: '66 3/4ton with 12'flatbed
bozzhogg is on a distinguished road

Hi I've got a '66 GMC and I use an AmPro T72047 CR-V socket that has six tangs on the one end to get into and everything back together on the rear end of my truck. Just take the first jamb nut off then there should be a spacer that's keyed to the axe shaft then the inner nut off. Then you put it back in reverse order. Just make sure the fist nut you put on is snug but not tight so the hub binds up or anything. Then your spacer then your jamb nut. As for torque I usually give just a grunt or two but if anybody has a better answer as for torque by AL means follow that advice.
Old July 9th, 2014, 12:40 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I just used GMCDacs method for my front hubs. I used a screwdriver instead of a cold chisel and just tightened them up as much as I could with my screwdriver, about what youd use on a bed rail bolt or something. Snug and about a quarter turn more. Seems to work great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.