6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > I-6 Engines

I-6 Engines For GMCs that came with the Inline 6 Engines

Old September 5th, 2013, 03:56 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help for a new guy

If the filter was cruded up like that, and it still runs rough, like most of these ol' dogs that have been sitting, you might consider taking care of the entire fuel system. Start by cleaning/flushing the gas tank. Then the fuel lines, the in-line filter, the fuel pump, and then rebuilding the carburetor. Now then,,not everybody can jump right in and rebuild a carburetor, no matter how "easy" the experts say it is. If your not comfortable digging into that carb, consider spending the money and having it done professionally. After that's done, and all the parts are back together and adjusted properly, your entire fuel system (not just parts of it) have been gone thru and should work well for you. And like you were saying Vern...."The fun begins".
Old September 6th, 2013, 06:11 PM

Truck: 1965 930 & 1965 K20 & 65 C10 combining into one truck.
quest is on a distinguished road

I hope you are happy as a clam with you new acquisition, it looks in such nice shape for that year, will be a great ride and get lots of looks.

Regarding the carb rebuild, don't fear it is a job anyone can do especially if tinkering with mechanical things is your thing! Just FYI; a carb kit on RockAuto.com is about $14 + cleaner fluid, and a NEW carb there is only about $120 with a core return. A professional rebuild may cost you 2-4 hours of shop labor so depending on your local shop rates that could run you over $100 maybe even over $200, easy to call and get a price.
If your thing is to learn while you tinker with your truck then with the kit and instructions and the internet(youtube) you absolutely can't go wrong and you will learn and enjoy doing it yourself(like all of us did)for only $14, you might find a kit locally for $15-$20. just read the tag numbers on your carb or take the carb to your partsman to look up.
If you rebuild it instead of buying the new one there is always mechanical help on here to help you out and I'm sure there is someone around your area as well. The worst you can do is waste a little time while learning something new even if you end up needing extra help, anyone here will jump right in. Good luck the best way to learn is to "Just Do It".
Old September 6th, 2013, 07:45 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1/2 Ton
Vern is on a distinguished road

Wow, thanks for all the input! I thought about rebuilding the carb myself because I know a guy that could fix it if I really screwed up. I'd rather do things myself when I can.

The only thing that makes me wonder is whether it would be worth the money to upgrade to the 2BBL Holley carb that seems to be recommended on this site? $150 for a little more power, even though I'm not interested in going fast? The engine isn't the original, so I'm OK with changing some parts to newer stuff.
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:31 PM

$150 is not bad but what does it do to your fuel consumption, has anyone commented if it turned out better or worse for them?
There is a lot of info online about I6 mods for performance etc. depending on what your desired out come is! If you have the budget maybe do some searches on these things before you go in any one direction and see what peaks your interests.

LOL, Of course keep in mind that one idea leads to another which is another way of saying that $50 can lead to $500 and to $50,000, there is no shortage of ideas and modifications as long as there is no shortage of $$$.
Old September 7th, 2013, 01:21 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Wow, thanks for all the input! I thought about rebuilding the carb myself because I know a guy that could fix it if I really screwed up. I'd rather do things myself when I can.

The only thing that makes me wonder is whether it would be worth the money to upgrade to the 2BBL Holley carb that seems to be recommended on this site? $150 for a little more power, even though I'm not interested in going fast? The engine isn't the original, so I'm OK with changing some parts to newer stuff.
Glad you bought the truck, Vern! Without more detailed descriptions or pictures of your engine, it is difficult to help. I couldn't find if you may have said what your I-6 is. If you have a Rochester model B or model M one barrel that Holley won't be a bolt on deal. We just need to know and see more of what you are working with.

Later---DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old September 7th, 2013, 07:56 PM

I thought you had to be a psychic to post on this site?

First things first; the compression tests came out: 122/125/122/120/122/110. Does this make this engine a keeper?

Attached are some pics of the engine and carb. Based on the casting#3921968 it's a 230 or 250. The suffix is F1209TCB; still trying to track down that number.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00161.JPG (5.17 MB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
File Type: jpg DSC00165.JPG (5.38 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg DSC00160.JPG (5.57 MB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg DSC00164.JPG (5.29 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:44 PM

I think you have a 292, it looks like it has the large side covers over the lifter bays and I think it looks like there is a space between your thermostat housing and the water pump pulley. If this is right this would indicate 292 engine.

I there is no space between the TS and WP pulley then it is probably the 250.
Old September 8th, 2013, 01:34 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Hello Vern, I have one of those engines with the same casting number and mine is a 250. The casting codes at inliners site also verifys what you said. The first 2 pics are of the 250 I have stored with the same casting number as yours.

The 3rd pic shows the carb on the 230 in my '55 GMC. It looks like you have a Rochester Model M like the one on this engine. That is a 1 bbl carb so to put the Holley 2 bbl on you will have to get a 2 bbl intake manifold also.

I forgot to add that I don't see any major problem with your compression numbers. The 230 in my '55 has numbers similar to yours. Mine uses a quart of oil about 800 to a 1000 miles. That falls into a "good" catagory for me anyway. It runs great and gets real good milage considering the brick shape it pushes thru the air!

Hope this helps---Later---DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250 number 001.jpg (1.34 MB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
File Type: jpg 250 number 002.jpg (881.9 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg manifold swap 010.jpg (1,014.6 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday

Last edited by GMCDAC; September 8th, 2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old September 9th, 2013, 01:59 PM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

I went through the tank cleaning process this weekend and mine was too far gone. The new tank was $160 and with a sending unit and new fuel neck hose I broke $200. I picked it up so shipping could be a little high because it is big.
The piece of mind is worth it in busy Vegas traffic and 110° days.
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:14 AM

OK, clearly the tank is shot and I got another one (and sending unit). When I ran some some clean gas from a can through it the engine purred like a kitten.
Based on the pics can you folks point me in the right direction for a carb kit? It's a 230/250 based on the casting numbers. There's a youtube video I think I can follow, but I want to make sure I have the right kit. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carb.jpg (5.17 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg carb2.jpg (5.38 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)