6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:03 PM

Truck: 1961 1/2 ton. 305V6
Liltfy is on a distinguished road
Question Look at my rear end!!

OK so my '61 Bomber was out for a stroll today!! After a ton on engine work and brake work and some luck.... Two things stumped me today as I worked away at brakes....with the rear up and brakes done, I was putting the drum back on when I noticed I couldn't spin the hub...apparently I have a limited slip or a locker of sorts in there...cool!! So I've looked around and couldn't find an immediate answer so I ask here... Here's what is on my rear end tag:

46-13
3-54

Then casting # 0-3028 then an "A" with a circle around it and 44-1

So I'm making some assumptions here that it's a Dana 44 with 3-54 gears. What can we tell about diff from the numbers above? Anything?

Also, my front drum brake backing plates have no adjustment holes?? How do you adjust the front brakes without needing to take the wheels and drums back off? Or is that the tale?
Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:44 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Look at my rear end!!

The casting #s dont really matter. They just tell you what style of center casting it is. such as tube size front or rear application... All that maters is its a d44. Its probably a powerlok limited slip. There should be another little tag on it near the ratio tag. Second thing is your truck a 4x4. That is the only time I recall seeing backing plates with no holes. And that was only a few times.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 11:00 PM

Ok so I'm gonna need to be very aware of the front brakes. Lake effect snow in the forecast...))might get to try the ol' girl out!!
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:56 AM

Truck: 1960 C-10 Short Fleet
raycow is on a distinguished road

Sometimes, the drum will have a slot in it for adjusting the brakes. It couldn't hurt to take off a wheel and look.

Ray
Old November 23rd, 2013, 05:23 AM

I just had all the drums off and replaced all the brakes and hardware. No slots up front. Odd. It will be an extra step to adjust up front. It is what it is. Next on list is head lights and wiper switch....sometimes they work sometimes not. LOL. MONEY PIT.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 05:53 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Drill two 3/8 holes next to each other straight back from the adjuster wheel and grind out the material in between. Pop in a stock rubber plug to keep the crap out and call it good. Barry
Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:28 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I can't add anything to this but I have to say BEST TOPIC TITLE EVAR!!!1111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 26th, 2014, 06:36 PM

Truck: 1966 1000
kieth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryGMC View Post
Drill two 3/8 holes next to each other straight back from the adjuster wheel and grind out the material in between. Pop in a stock rubber plug to keep the crap out and call it good. Barry

That is exactly what we had to do when we converted my rear axles from 6 lug to 5 lug. Used a later model brake drum, the older drums had slots in the drum, the 72 model brake drums did not have a slot for adjustment so we drilled 2 holes and ground out the center of the backing plate, made changing and adjusting the rear drum brakes a lot easier.....ha ha..... Kieth
Old March 26th, 2014, 10:55 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1965 Suburban Series 1000 - 351M with mechancal tachometer - PS & PB & 2 speed Pow-R-Flow automatic
lizziemeister'sV6 will become famous soon enoughlizziemeister'sV6 will become famous soon enough

Hello - your front brake drums will have a oval scored knock-out area which you need to take a hammer and chisel to push out. You can purchase the knock-out plugs that fit the holes - same as the rear plugs. Just wire brush your front drums on the outside where the adjuster is be located on the backing plate bottom.