6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old July 10th, 2023, 05:03 AM

Truck: 1963 GMC 3/4t, 4x4
Robert B. is on a distinguished road
Default Carb, fuel filter, any thoughts appreciated.

Question? So my ‘63 305E will run great for a couple miles and then start stalling. Seems like I’m fuel starved and I can’t get it cranked again until I let it cool. Have the original Stromberg carb and wondering if I need to get it rebuilt once again or find a replacement?? Any thoughts or advice are welcomed. Thanks so much guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 10th, 2023, 12:27 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Carb, fuel filter, any thoughts appreciated.

To me it sound more like a fuel deliverly problem (i.e. fuel pump, plugged filter, or plugged pickup sock in the tank.
Old July 10th, 2023, 02:35 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Rings can cause that too. You might do a compression check to see if you have a worn cylinder. Once it warms up it'll separate and you'll get stalling. Before that, it's cold so the rings seat fine against the cylinder walls.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old July 10th, 2023, 07:12 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1965 Suburban Series 1000 - 351M with mechancal tachometer - PS & PB & 2 speed Pow-R-Flow automatic
lizziemeister'sV6 will become famous soon enoughlizziemeister'sV6 will become famous soon enough

Personally I don't think it could be rings - engine metal (piston,rings, block) expands when heated up so the rings would tighten up against the cylinder walls - in theory - but different metals expand at different rates. My thought is it's a fuel issue - leaning toward the sock in the fuel tank connected to the fuel gauge assembly being sucked shut by the fuel pump and starving the engine for fuel.
Old July 10th, 2023, 09:00 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

I have a list of things to do. One at a time..... and a question.

Question:
Does it start right up with no problem when you first start out at home? Fast start or have to pump and choke and pump?

First action:
1. Drive with gas cap off for a long'ish test drive. report. Don't do anything yet until a few tests like this one are done.

Last edited by AZKen; July 10th, 2023 at 09:08 PM.
Old July 11th, 2023, 04:51 PM

Truck: 1960 3/4, 4 spd, stepside
Jim A is on a distinguished road

My first thought too was clogged fuel intake.
The good thing is that it is accessible.
Old July 11th, 2023, 06:29 PM

Super, thank you folks, I’ll check it all out this week and let you know. I’m hoping it’s not a ring/cylinder issue, and just a lesser fuel related problem. Really appreciate the input!

Old July 28th, 2023, 11:16 PM

Well, it appears that after a couple rebuilds over the years, I’m finally going to have to part w/ my old original Stromberg carb (leaking like a sieve) in the ‘63 and get a new one. Therefore I must ask which model you all recommend for the 305E?

Old July 29th, 2023, 01:46 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Robert, we are trying to help. You seem to be moving ahead on your own while seeking help. You don't report results from any advice given. You assumed it was heat becasue it started when it "cooled" off. You don't say exactly where it's leaking out of carb. Carb leaking is usually stuck or worn float ot float valve. No reason to throw carb out for another which is untested and may need a rebuild.
Anyway, to answer your question, the Jolly legacy pages have your answer under "Carburetor Data". May not be a carb problem. May be two things at once. Running great for a couple of miles does not compute exactly with leak/flooding. Maybe yes, maybe no..... or....Could be what I originally said (vacuum venting lock) or could be what others have said. Testing, not guessing, is how you troubleshoot.

Last edited by AZKen; July 29th, 2023 at 01:59 AM.
Old July 29th, 2023, 05:01 PM

Truck: 1960 3/4, 4 spd, stepside
Jim A is on a distinguished road

One more really careful rebuild sure sems like a good next step.
It would be nice if you could keep us up to date on the results of other tests you have made.
Good luck.