6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old February 12th, 2015, 12:18 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: New guy looking for help with 1962 GMC

K1002CJ1006, 4WD-1/2T-Long bed-Oakland, CA-1962-the 6th truck to roll out of that plant!!! It's Legit. Adding a flat bed would have been a piece of cake for an aftermarket co. or a handyman.

Last edited by AZKen; February 12th, 2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old February 12th, 2015, 12:44 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

Oakland sounds more like it! If I'm not mistaken trucks started coming out of the Fremont Assembly plant around 1965 or 66.
Old February 12th, 2015, 01:14 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
1962flattop is on a distinguished road

The vin number is off of the title. I have not actually pick up the vehicle yet I have to trailer it home this weekend. Ultimately I would like to find a bed for it but wanted to learn more about the flatbed if it truly was an original option that was a rare. I didn't want to remove a feature that was quite rare coming from the factory if that truly was the case.

I was also trying to do some homework to see if I could figure out what type of gearing and rear end it had in it if it was a unique model. I guess I was hoping that it was something special. Either way I am excited to start working on the project.
Old February 12th, 2015, 01:26 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

According to the 1962 sales brochure the only ratio available on the K1000 series is a 3.54. The differential would be a Dana 44 and an optional Powr-lok limited slip was available.
Old February 12th, 2015, 02:09 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

FYI, when you buy a vehicle, you always want to make sure the title VIN matches the VIN plate. At least on trucks after about 1955.1.
Old February 12th, 2015, 02:36 AM

Good point. I will make sure I check once I get the truck home.

One last question. As far as I know the engine is all original. That being said, do I need to use a lead additive in the gas? I assume that I use 87 octane. And how about oil? Is there a recommended oil weight and additive to use in the V6. The truck has 75k miles on it.
Old February 12th, 2015, 03:05 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962flattop View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to the club. I just purchased a 1962 4WD K1500.
This thread got right to the business of investigating your truck! Lots of knowledgeable folks here to help you with it!

I will start out with a welcome from the Black Hills! I'm jealous of you new folks coming in that are running across these GMCs!

Quote:
I guess I was hoping that it was something special. Either way I am excited to start working on the project.
Well I think most here will agree this truck IS something special. Too many of them when found get cut up in to hot rods or modern cruisers. Post more pics when you can!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old February 12th, 2015, 12:22 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Good point. I will make sure I check once I get the truck home.

One last question. As far as I know the engine is all original. That being said, do I need to use a lead additive in the gas? I assume that I use 87 octane. And how about oil? Is there a recommended oil weight and additive to use in the V6. The truck has 75k miles on it.
87 octane is fine, but not Ethanol. Find a place that has real gas or the alcohol in the ethanol gas will tear up your carburetor. You don't need to add a lead additive.

For the oil everyone has a favorite, but something high in zinc is preferred because it's an older flat tappet engine. I use Rotella 15w40 Diesel oil with a boron based friction modifier to keep things spinning smooth and protected.

The GMC engines are based on a diesel design so keep them lubricated and they'll run longer than you will.

One more thing, make sure you get the short oil filter. There's a 6 inch filter and a 9 inch filter. The long one is for a different engine. You want carquest part number 85121 or Fram part number CH106PL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old February 12th, 2015, 02:05 PM

Thank you for the feedback on gas and oil. I really appreciate everyone's help getting me up to speed. I'm sure I will be back with many more questions. I have been doing a lot of reading to try to learn more about my new toy.
Old February 12th, 2015, 02:18 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback on gas and oil. I really appreciate everyone's help getting me up to speed. I'm sure I will be back with many more questions. I have been doing a lot of reading to try to learn more about my new toy.
NP! The best advise I can give is get out there and touch her. Take pictures of her (and post them!), drive her around the block for fun, and never tear anything up that will take more than a day to fix or you'll get frustrated at first.

After you've had her a while and the love takes hold take on the bigger projects. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a beautiful 60s GMC that someone bought with grand ideas and 3 months later it's for sale in pieces in buckets because the first thing they planned to do is powdercoat the frame. If you're not driving, you're not livin'

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.