6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:38 PM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Hey, Fetch: Glad to see you back on the truck:

That's one tool you'll never be sorry you bought. You find more uses for it, than you ever dreamed. You'll probably use it about as much as pliers, cold chisel, hammer, and cutting torch. Plus, the sore hip will love ya' for it. The "apprentices" will like it too.

Many years ago, when we got ours, the boys were small, and I heard little bro. squalling and yelling. Looked behind the truck. Big bro. had hooked the hook in little bros. belt and hoisting him to the sky. Little bro. was hanging on for dear life.
Had to take a time out for a little safety lesson, and stern attitude adjustment.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.

Last edited by Cayoterun; January 23rd, 2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:04 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not a real update, but I need to pick up some wood so I slapped her back together a little this warm-ish weekend. I'll need to put the bed temporarily on this next weekend and instead of killing myself I ordered up one of these

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

It comes in 2 boxes and only one arrived yet. So far I have a crossmember and a buncha wheels and bolts but I'm pretty excited about gettin a new toy

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I've been wanting one forever for picking up the bed and if necessary removing the engine for painting and fiddling.

Great score, Pepsi! I bet you are already wondering how you got along without one. I built a self leveling platform for mine to put stuff up on the roof of the office in my shop.

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old January 28th, 2014, 10:07 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Hey, Fetch: Glad to see you back on the truck:

That's one tool you'll never be sorry you bought. You find more uses for it, than you ever dreamed. You'll probably use it about as much as pliers, cold chisel, hammer, and cutting torch. Plus, the sore hip will love ya' for it. The "apprentices" will like it too.

Many years ago, when we got ours, the boys were small, and I heard little bro. squalling and yelling. Looked behind the truck. Big bro. had hooked the hook in little bros. belt and hoisting him to the sky. Little bro. was hanging on for dear life.
Had to take a time out for a little safety lesson, and stern attitude adjustment.
Its been really warm for 2-3 days at a time even right after that polar vortex stuff blew down and froze us. If it hits 60, I'm outside doin somethin like this

Now that story right there is one of the funniest I've heard

I can just see "the Boy" squealing and hollering as the girls crank him up! I'm telling the girls about it right now!

Quote:
Great score, Pepsi! I bet you are already wondering how you got along without one. I built a self leveling platform for mine to put stuff up on the roof of the office in my shop.

DAC
Sad news Dac...The fold-away legs and frame portion got damaged in shipping by USPS (they say....) so they sent it back and now it's out of stock. Grrr!

Hoping it'll get here in the next 2-4 weeks. I'd like to see some pics of the self leveling one you have though. that sounds like a cool little toy!

I wonder if I can make mine do this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 30th, 2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Sad news Dac...The fold-away legs and frame portion got damaged in shipping by USPS (they say....) so they sent it back and now it's out of stock. Grrr!

Hoping it'll get here in the next 2-4 weeks. I'd like to see some pics of the self leveling one you have though. that sounds like a cool little toy!
Wow, they musta ran over it with an 18 wheeler or something! Hopefully they fill your order soon. Here are a couple pics of mine with the platform on it, but I must not have taken one with it jacked clear up. Got it folded up right now. I't not engineered perfect but it works well. My hoist came from Sam's Club.

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shop pics for dad10-07 003.jpg (718.5 KB, Multiple views, 14 clicks)
File Type: jpg shop pics for dad10-07 007.jpg (785.4 KB, Multiple views, 14 clicks)

Old January 30th, 2014, 02:53 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Wow, they musta ran over it with an 18 wheeler or something! Hopefully they fill your order soon. Here are a couple pics of mine with the platform on it, but I must not have taken one with it jacked clear up. Got it folded up right now. I't not engineered perfect but it works well. My hoist came from Sam's Club.

DAC
Thats the best peepover drive in movie theater setup I've ever seen! I would have had a blast with it back in my old hometown as a teen. Comfy seats, good movie, cozy blanket and a good lookin girl beside me.

Very cool setup!

IDK what they did with mine. It was just the tubing pieces, ram and hook. They would have had to drag it 30 miles down the road to hurt it. Maybe something fell out of the box? And they didn't tell me either, I had to call when the tracking number paused for 2 days.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 31st, 2014, 12:20 AM

Ha! It didn't dawn on me that the seats I was putting upstairs would be a way to elevate spectators to see over fences and such---LOL! Thanks for the compliment.

Yeah keep us posted on your hoist. I still find it odd they could damage that stuff too!

DAC

Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:35 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
Hantke is on a distinguished road

Great thread! i've been reading a couple pages every day. probably been lurking on here off and on for a few months haha. Keep up the good work!
If you don't mind me asking a question (didn't see it as important enough to start a new thread) why did you go for the ford red as the engine color and chevy orange on the tranny / transfer case? i had always assumed that GMC and Chevrolet were both the bright orange engine block, like how ford does a lot of blue engine blocks, and Cummins favors red. Then again, i could be dead wrong!
Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:58 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Ha! It didn't dawn on me that the seats I was putting upstairs would be a way to elevate spectators to see over fences and such---LOL! Thanks for the compliment.

Yeah keep us posted on your hoist. I still find it odd they could damage that stuff too!

DAC
Yeah! You can use it for stargazing or at parades from the back of the pickup too. I really like that idea. Snuggle time with the little lady

My replacement should be here Monday. They called and said that the box was damaged again but the pipes were OK. They had to re-box it. I told them "really? it's just pipes! Just bring me the bits and I'll be happy." They didnt think it was funny.

Corporate America is way too sensitive sometimes. Too many lawsuits I guess.

Quote:
Great thread! i've been reading a couple pages every day. probably been lurking on here off and on for a few months haha. Keep up the good work!
If you don't mind me asking a question (didn't see it as important enough to start a new thread) why did you go for the ford red as the engine color and chevy orange on the tranny / transfer case? i had always assumed that GMC and Chevrolet were both the bright orange engine block, like how ford does a lot of blue engine blocks, and Cummins favors red. Then again, i could be dead wrong!
Hi Hantke! Thanks for reading my mess. You gotta remember that up until like 1972(?) or so Chevy and GMC were different things. Competitively so!

I didn't paint the engine yet but the

says that ford red is the closest match for that and the transfer case. The transmission was painted a more orangy color like you see in my test pics.

The main reason for choosing Chevy Orange was my local shop's limited supply of engine paints. IIRC I tried four or five of their orangy paints and Chevy Orange was the closest I found. It still needed more rust in it to match properly but even so once it dried it was better than the chrysler I was leaning toward. The chrysler dried too dark.

I'm pretty happy with it. Custom paint is expensive, but I probably could have taken the tranny down to get the colors colormatched at one of those places that do that. I'd probably do that if I had to do it over. Even having paint numbers that arent "engine paints" would be a good starting point I think.

Now my wheels are turning again. I can't wait till Spring!

Old February 3rd, 2014, 03:29 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
Hantke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Hantke! Thanks for reading my mess. You gotta remember that up until like 1972(?) or so Chevy and GMC were different things. Competitively so!

I didn't paint the engine yet but the

says that ford red is the closest match for that and the transfer case. The transmission was painted a more orangy color like you see in my test pics.

The main reason for choosing Chevy Orange was my local shop's limited supply of engine paints. IIRC I tried four or five of their orangy paints and Chevy Orange was the closest I found. It still needed more rust in it to match properly but even so once it dried it was better than the chrysler I was leaning toward. The chrysler dried too dark.

I'm pretty happy with it. Custom paint is expensive, but I probably could have taken the tranny down to get the colors colormatched at one of those places that do that. I'd probably do that if I had to do it over. Even having paint numbers that arent "engine paints" would be a good starting point I think.

Now my wheels are turning again. I can't wait till Spring!

I'm one of those lurkers, i go from reading a forum for months to 50 posts a day for a year! i do really enjoy a well laid out journal though, so thank you for the good read!

I did like how the chevy orange was close in color though, i've seen both dark red and light green used on pumpkins and transfer cases which surprisingly looked really good (i'm not usually a huge fan of green).
I've already laid out the base plans for my build and i don't even have the truck yet!

My favorite is (I'm spacing the name of the company, not International or Navistar) a farm equipment companies dark red enamel, i rebuilt part of one of their combines and really liked the color. My plans are to run with CAT black enamel, CAT yellow is the best crack finder in the world if you need to find some cracks. (sorry, i'm easily distracted!) My main plan is to run with the dark red pumpkin and tranny (i'm assuming i'm getting a 2wd) with chevy orange block and i'd like to some how run a nice chrome valve cover, but we'll see when i get one...

Old February 12th, 2014, 11:24 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
I'm one of those lurkers, i go from reading a forum for months to 50 posts a day for a year! i do really enjoy a well laid out journal though, so thank you for the good read!

I did like how the chevy orange was close in color though, i've seen both dark red and light green used on pumpkins and transfer cases which surprisingly looked really good (i'm not usually a huge fan of green).
I've already laid out the base plans for my build and i don't even have the truck yet!

My favorite is (I'm spacing the name of the company, not International or Navistar) a farm equipment companies dark red enamel, i rebuilt part of one of their combines and really liked the color. My plans are to run with CAT black enamel, CAT yellow is the best crack finder in the world if you need to find some cracks. (sorry, i'm easily distracted!) My main plan is to run with the dark red pumpkin and tranny (i'm assuming i'm getting a 2wd) with chevy orange block and i'd like to some how run a nice chrome valve cover, but we'll see when i get one...

thanks Hantke. You sound like you have this paint thing all planned out

My next paint project will be the transfer case I think, and then the rear bumper. I got some Eastwood epoxy paint for the bumper that I'd like to try. I have heard stories about it being rock hard like POR15 so we'll see how that goes.

Oh and an update on the cherry picker, which another member on here bought right after me (you know who you are!), It ships with several lower grade metric bolts. So I'll be swapping those out for super-ultra tough bolts and thanks to the other member I don't even have to spend a week looking up numbers. Thanks Other Member! I'll post them here once I get them.

And my last part came in finally. It was all re-taped and nasty looking. It weighs about 100 lbs

Remember a while ago I mentioned that my fedex driver is lazy? Yeah, he should be in a different position. Maybe one of the desk guys. He left the box lying right outside my garage door and guess what The Blonde did?
Vroom Vroom!

It wasn't damaged thank goodness. I still considered calling Fedex and complaining. I mean, there's like 15 feet of difference from the porch (safe) and the front of the garage (danger!). What the heck, Fedex?!?