6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Other Rides and Projects

Other Rides and Projects Working on another year GMC? Maybe a Chevy, Dodge, F*rd, or even refinishing cabinets? Share your progress or start a build thread and let members follow along!

Old December 24th, 2014, 12:02 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
Hantke is on a distinguished road
Default 1966 c20

Okay, now that I have a new-to-me truck, it's time to get started with the fun stuff!
First day in the shop:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

It looks like a SM420, its a 4 speed with the reverse on the left, and a 250 I6 from what I've found so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GMC Hunting - I'll get my hands on one of 'em eventually.

Last edited by Hantke; December 24th, 2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old December 24th, 2014, 12:11 AM

Default Re: 1966 c20

Info on the kick panel:

No spin!

I think it's a 250 I6

Old December 24th, 2014, 12:49 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the update on your new project. It looks like a good cleaning will bring back some of it's former glory! I sure hope you keep us posted.

Is this truck running? Looks like it may be. I brought one in similar condition back from scrap status a few years back, a '55 GMC half ton. The engine and tranny combo is nearly identical. Near as I can figure it is about a 1966 230 I-6 someone put in it many years ago. Was a non-runner but 5 years later I am still pleased with the driveability and mileage that engine gets.

Like you I hope to own a 6066 GMC with the V-6 someday.

I Would dig more pics!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old December 24th, 2014, 12:53 AM

Yep she runs alright, I have a spare carb so I can rebuild it and that should fix the small issues it has. I just need to weld a panel on the floor and fix up the rust hole. Then I'll hit her with a power washer and repaint her eventually!

Old December 25th, 2014, 07:55 PM

I'm compiling my list of things to do. Trying to decide if I want to keep the 250I6 or not, it's not the original engine so i won't be messing with the character of the truck, but I think I want to keep it for now.

So far we my todo list includes:
(Not in this order)
Weld new floor panel in (inside along rockers on the driver side is where the hole is)
Rebuild Carb
Get air intake filter
fix or replace headers
replace exhaust (same time as headers)
get windshield wipers
clean all the paint
fix dents
Bondo dents not fixable
paint with rustoleum
Primer with a good filler primer
Paint truck
Paint inside of cab
get new bench seat
Remove rotten plywood and bed wood with mushrooms growing out of it (sorry, but I don't need a mushroom farm in my truck haha)
Remove the bed
Sand the frame
Paint the frame with rustoleum to protect it
Replace the shocks (springs front and back? I was surprised to find springs in the back)
Remove tires / wheels and repaint the wheels
Get new wheels (I dislike the current steelies, though I might keep them and paint them black)
New windshield and windshield seal (not as important right now)
Fix factory A/C (it's got hoses going to the AC box in the back of the dash. But it seems like it's missing something.
Test the cooling system ( rad hoses get hot, needs to be topped off and overflow added, then verify flow to / from heater) (also need to replace the heat / cool panel insides(

So I've got a lot to do it looks like! The main thing for me right now is to fix the floor when I can afford to, and get it licensed to drive and insured, and definitely that exhaust needs to go!

Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:52 AM

Okay, so I've decided on my first project to be undertaken, fixing the lights! Both headlights were working, then only one, and now it only works as a high beam. I'm not sure if this is wiring or if it is just bad headlights (though my assumption was that when a halogen went out it was completely out, not just high or low). The tail lights work (but are extremely dim, perhaps a bad ground?) and the blinkers light up. Unfortunately the wiring is kind of hacked up from the engine swap and there are a lot of wires I'm not sure about. But I think making it street legal takes precedence over any other projects I have in mind. If you have any input, that would be great!
Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:56 AM

I'm also going to look into the parking brake cable, as mine is currently disconnected. (These parking brakes are cool!
Old January 3rd, 2015, 05:26 AM

Truck: 1964 4 x 4 Panel
ron david is on a distinguished road

have you washed it yet?
ron
Old January 3rd, 2015, 07:32 AM

Not yet, just a bit with a hose which took a lot of the stuff off, I spent the last few days moving and just finally got a break. I ended up at a friends house this weekend that i haven't seen for a while and visiting with another good friend who is on leave from the army now, but he's shipping out to Baghdad here pretty soon so I decided visiting them was a bit more important. I did get everything ready before leaving, so when I get back on Sunday (or maybe Monday) ill pressure wash her clean and rebuild the carb, that should help a lot, and I've got till the 6th off, so I've got a bit of time. I'll definitely add pictures after a good wash though.

Old January 4th, 2015, 12:04 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yep she runs alright, I have a spare carb so I can rebuild it and that should fix the small issues it has. I just need to weld a panel on the floor and fix up the rust hole. Then I'll hit her with a power washer and repaint her eventually!

My 230 had the Rochester Model B carb on it like that one, as well as a 250 engine I got later. They seem to be pretty good carbs, but both of them require a throttle cable to keep fast idle when the choke is opened. I fell into a deal for 3 Rochester model M parts carbs that "set" the fast idle with the choke cable so you just "kick" it down when desired. I was able to build one out of the 3 and like it much better.

Looking forward to seeing your Chevy all cleaned up!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday