6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old July 14th, 2014, 01:36 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Thanks!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I do get my radiator sometime this week. Will be in NC for the weekend, but hopefully I'll get her back on the road by next week.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 01:39 AM

Well, I put the radiator in last week. Only got to test it at idle before leaving town. Got back last night and tested at idle again with no sign of leaks. Decided to drive it to work and back today and had no leaks or overheating...woohoo! No signs of oil leaks from previous engine work either.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

It was good to have her back on the road.

Several neighbors out walking late yesterday decided to stop and tell me how good she sounded while she was idling in the driveway.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 03:55 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Congrats, Aphaynes, it's a great feeling when the the time and dollars pay off and a drive is a success! I remember the first time we took the '55 GMC for a real drive in 2011---the wife drove, LOL! Everyone we passed waved and was smiling, even though the truck is ugly as heck.

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old July 26th, 2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Congrats, Aphaynes, it's a great feeling when the the time and dollars pay off and a drive is a success! I remember the first time we took the '55 GMC for a real drive in 2011---the wife drove, LOL! Everyone we passed waved and was smiling, even though the truck is ugly as heck.

DAC
LOL! Thanks DAC.
Took it for a night drive this week as well. Had to test out those headlights.

Old July 27th, 2014, 12:16 AM

Tailgate update. A short while back I was cutting up lumber leftover from a couple of projects in order to experiment making a tailgate for the truck with stuff I have on hand (see somewhere above). Dang budget...LOL.

Well, I got to get rolling with that today. I also just need a reason to use this...

This is a Shopsmith that my now departed grandfather had ever since I can remember...which is a long time ago.

Once he passed it got tucked away in my dad's shop for years. My dad eventually gave it to me. He wasn't using it, so why not get it out of the shop. Well, I ended up tucking it away in my shed for 5 or 6 years. Then we moved here to 'Bama and I tucked it away in the corner of the garage where it got covered with boxes and stuff for several more years. Then in late 2013 or early 2014 I was wanting to rebuild a bench we had that had rotted away. So I am in the garage thinking I need to get a table saw, that way I can buy the lumber and rip it down to the sizes I need. Frustrated with my lack of tools, I look over at the stack of boxes and stuff and spy the Shopsmith that has not been used in a good 20 years. I already have a table saw....and a drill press, sanding disc, and lathe!

So I promptly dug that puppy out and rebuilt the rolling base that had rotted away so that I could easily move it from garage to driveway. Then with a little internet research on the main body and an ebay search for guide rails, as mine were way to rusted; I got the thing running again fairly quickly and easily. Most of it, including the internal belt had held up much better than expected. Wait this is a truck thread not a shopsmith thread!

Sorry guys, I just love having that little piece of family history on hand.

So put that baby up in drill press mode...

Clamp the boards together to mark locations for the dowel pins...

Why dowel pins...well, I am not a real woodworker, so I did a little reading and dowel pins seemed like a good strong way to join these boards together. I arbitrarily decided on 6 inch spacing for the dowel pins starting 3 inches from the end of the boards for the first pin....why...I don't know. Sounded good in my head.

The boards I am using are 2 2x4's and 2 1x8's, Why? Budget, that is what I had on hand that seemed to fit the back of bed nicely when I stacked them up.

Again, the layout I was playing with is back a few posts.

Using these dowel pins...

Test fit of the dowel pin looked good.

So I decided to press fit the boards together before staining and gluing. Good thing I did. I had two boards that were just not pressing together on one end. Everything looked lined up, but when I removed the clamps for a better look...I somehow missed drilling one of the holes.

Test fit is always a good idea!

Here they are after first coat of Pecan Gloss.

Why that color? You guessed it, that is what I had on hand, leftover from that bench project I mentioned

So now it is hot as Hades out there and I am taking a break. Is this a waist of time?...maybe, but I am enjoying it none the less

I hope to use the ShopSmith for making my bed wood when the time comes to tackle that part of the project. Of course I will have to price out the expense of doing that versus a ready made kit.
Old July 27th, 2014, 01:42 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

that is an AMAZING find! The things you can do with that sucker...
Loved the story too. I say it's your truck thread. Put what you want in it as long as it ends up going with the truck. I go off chasing rabbits in my thread all the time and nobody complained yet

(the only complaint I got was on the wood splitter, but that was in the OTHER RIDES AND PROJECTS forum...what the heck?

)

Cant wait to see the tailgate!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; July 27th, 2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:15 PM

This staining and gluing process is slower than expected.

With two coats of stain on, here's the center section...

Adding the end pieces took more clamping than expected. I had to rummage around in the garage for a while to find any clamp that I could make do with...

...just to get them nice and flat. I hope those dowels and glue hold up

And this was as far as I got before the weekend ran out on me...

Old July 28th, 2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
that is an AMAZING find! The things you can do with that sucker...
Loved the story too. I say it's your truck thread. Put what you want in it as long as it ends up going with the truck. I go off chasing rabbits in my thread all the time and nobody complained yet

(the only complaint I got was on the wood splitter, but that was in the OTHER RIDES AND PROJECTS forum...what the heck?

)

Cant wait to see the tailgate!
Thanks! Yeah, I have a lot to learn with that thing as well. I have only used the basic functions of table saw, vertical drilling, horizontal boring. Those last two are the same thing, but depends on if the drill is upright or laying down as to what you call it.

I would love to try the lathe, but haven't created a project where I need that yet.
Old July 29th, 2014, 02:19 AM

Well, the last piece is pressed on and drying...

Don't look to close. It ain't perfect...but neither is my truck!

Now the part I have yet to fully wrap my head around.

Those notches in the bottom piece sit over the trunions. I have bounced several ideas in my head as to how to house/wrap the trunions in those notches, butI have not made a final decision. If any ideas hit you while you are reading this

then feel free to post 'em! Keep in mind I do not have a torch or welder to fabricate anything. If it can't be done with a hammer, or screw driver, or brute force, or....??? Well...I'll figure something out.

I have picked up various pieces of hardware to repurpose/experiment with so maybe something will work nicely.
Old July 29th, 2014, 02:35 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I had to look up the word Trunion

Would the wood not hold it well enough if you just cut little round holes in it with a spade bit?

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.