6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old February 16th, 2014, 07:52 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

This weekend was semi-warmed up enough to get the lift put together. I should have been roasting more coffee beans but I was finding no motivation. I wanted to play with my truck stuff.

I thought it would be a lot of hard work, but nope. It was easy.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

We laid out the parts

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Like the instructions said we waved the jack handle over the parts three times, chanting "Lift and haul, lift and haul, lift and haul..."

And poof! It was done!

Technology these days is amazing!

Oh, and Coyote? I blame you for this shot

She ran inside to get a belt like your boy but she didn't have any thick enough that I felt OK hoisting her by it so she rode it instead.
Powder Puff says she's riding her version of a broom off into the sky

Great fun!

Really though it took about 1 1/2 hours to put it together with wrenches. You need a 13/16 wrench to do it, which I didnt have so I used vise grips. And the wheels are different sizes. Small ones go on front. We didn't notice till it was put together so it took us an extra 20 minutes to swap wheels. But now she's built. I should be able to remove and remount my bed at will now I think. Easy peasy for when I have to run to Lowes for stuff or get firewood.

Sometimes I get in a hurry anyway

Foley, I havent got my extra bolts yet but I'll make a trip to Tractor Supply in the next couple of weeks so I'll look then.

Heres the bolt list:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old February 16th, 2014, 11:18 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Well it looks like I can get SAE (standard, not metric) bolts at BoltDepot.com in grade 8 zinc plated for about 38.00 shipped.

I used.

Why upgrade the bolts?
The bolts that come with it are Grade 1 equivalent metric 4.6 bolts.

The strength for bolts this size in grade 2 bolts is 11033 pounds. That puts the safety shear strength (/3) at 3677 lbs. Not 2 tons (4000 lbs).

(strength of bolts from

if you wanna get into the meat and potatoes of the figures)

And that's grade 2 bolts. Grade 1? I dunno. I couldn't find a good chart that showed it.

Grade 8 is about 7455 pounds. How heavy is your entire truck?

ARR ARR ARR!

I'll post part numbers when they get here and I make sure they work OK.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; February 16th, 2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old February 17th, 2014, 12:57 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road

I too had been dabbling around with the idea of getting a shop crane/cherry picker. About the time I was doing the shopping, Fetch ordered his and it wasn' much more than a week later that I decided to also order the 2 ton Harbor Freight Deluxe Racing Shop Crane. It should do everything I need it to do with heavy "stuff" including big tractor wheels, small engines, my Aunt Bertha and I figure it would probably move a 305E if you were careful. Harbor Freight was also offering the "Once in a life Time Sale", and I also found a 25% off coupon, so there ya go. Bout $170 out the door.

The steel framing and the welds and the fact that it has cast steel wheels instead of rubber/plastic are all a plus for that price, but I wasn't real happy with the low grade bolts. I mentioned this to Fetch while he was quietly waiting for his damaged box of parts to be replaced. So I went on a search for some higher grade metric bolts. Many of the assembly bolts are metric grade 4.8 and a few of the bigger ones are metric grade 8.8. So I figured to bump them all up to 8.8 and 10.9 respectfully. I found the info I wanted on a metric grade chart that lists their stensil strength. I don't know much about "stensil", but I'm all about having "strength" for this project. After many days of looking I can tell you that these bolts are NOT to be found at Ace Hardware nor NAPA nor Home Depot nor Lowes nor Tractor Supply. But I did find all that I wanted and more by going to

. They have it all. Sizes, strengths, different plating and fairly cheap shipping. I ordered up a replacement batch of all thirty four bolts and it came to about $50. Since the colors of this Racing Shop Crane are Grey and black, I went for a complete set of flat black coated racing bolts, and got some lock washers for the set, as none come with the Harbor Freight package.

There is one more thing I changed somewhat, and if I can ever figure out how to post decent pictures, I'll chime in and show you. It's a feature that would enhance any decent Racing Shop Crane. In conclusion I'll say it's really a sad thing to let a persons mind flounder around on a 4 day rainy stretch with no project to focus on. Look what happens.
Old February 18th, 2014, 10:14 PM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road

Hang on, Powder Puff!!!

No joke, after the initial do's and don'ts stern training for safety's sake, they can find more ways to entertain themselves than you can shake a stick at. Our rider lawnmower, welding bench, or anything else not bolted to the floor has gone airborne.

The truck is coming along well. Congrats

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.
Old February 19th, 2014, 04:56 AM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I'm all about "more is better" and all that....
But the shear strength of the factory bolts on that hoist are so much more than the rated design calls for that I might have spent the cash on something a little more rewarding.

The bolts that are used on the lift cylinder (both top and bottom) require the highest shear rating of any other on the hoist. Because of the application, the shear requirements are cut in half (it is exposed to shear effects twice, once on each side of the cylinder ram) so we can double the rated capacity for a safe working load.

Theres always some smart guy just waiting for a chance to armchair engineer yer project.......aint there.

But of course, when using the lift for hoisting personnel, the safety factor is X4 of the calculated SWL.......so I'm not even sure if grade eight is enough for the Powder Puff pick.
Old February 20th, 2014, 12:44 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Hang on, Powder Puff!!!

No joke, after the initial do's and don'ts stern training for safety's sake, they can find more ways to entertain themselves than you can shake a stick at. Our rider lawnmower, welding bench, or anything else not bolted to the floor has gone airborne.

The truck is coming along well. Congrats

I can see things heading that way!

I'll be pulling my 305E off the trailer in a couple of days. After that I'll be looking for new and innovative ways to get into trouble

Quote:
I too had been dabbling around with the idea of getting a shop crane/cherry picker. About the time I was doing the shopping, Fetch ordered his and it wasn' much more than a week later that I decided to also order the 2 ton Harbor Freight Deluxe Racing Shop Crane. It should do everything I need it to do with heavy "stuff" including big tractor wheels, small engines, my Aunt Bertha and I figure it would probably move a 305E if you were careful. Harbor Freight was also offering the "Once in a life Time Sale", and I also found a 25% off coupon, so there ya go. Bout $170 out the door.

The steel framing and the welds and the fact that it has cast steel wheels instead of rubber/plastic are all a plus for that price, but I wasn't real happy with the low grade bolts. I mentioned this to Fetch while he was quietly waiting for his damaged box of parts to be replaced. So I went on a search for some higher grade metric bolts. Many of the assembly bolts are metric grade 4.8 and a few of the bigger ones are metric grade 8.8. So I figured to bump them all up to 8.8 and 10.9 respectfully. I found the info I wanted on a metric grade chart that lists their stensil strength. I don't know much about "stensil", but I'm all about having "strength" for this project. After many days of looking I can tell you that these bolts are NOT to be found at Ace Hardware nor NAPA nor Home Depot nor Lowes nor Tractor Supply. But I did find all that I wanted and more by going to

. They have it all. Sizes, strengths, different plating and fairly cheap shipping. I ordered up a replacement batch of all thirty four bolts and it came to about $50. Since the colors of this Racing Shop Crane are Grey and black, I went for a complete set of flat black coated racing bolts, and got some lock washers for the set, as none come with the Harbor Freight package.

There is one more thing I changed somewhat, and if I can ever figure out how to post decent pictures, I'll chime in and show you. It's a feature that would enhance any decent Racing Shop Crane. In conclusion I'll say it's really a sad thing to let a persons mind flounder around on a 4 day rainy stretch with no project to focus on. Look what happens.

Thanks for all the rainy day footwork Foley! I went with SAE bolts instead because most of my tools are that. I think we made good choices and I'll sure feel better when I'm lifting heavier stuff after this.

Quote:
I'm all about "more is better" and all that....
But the shear strength of the factory bolts on that hoist are so much more than the rated design calls for that I might have spent the cash on something a little more rewarding.

The bolts that are used on the lift cylinder (both top and bottom) require the highest shear rating of any other on the hoist. Because of the application, the shear requirements are cut in half (it is exposed to shear effects twice, once on each side of the cylinder ram) so we can double the rated capacity for a safe working load.

Theres always some smart guy just waiting for a chance to armchair engineer yer project.......aint there.

But of course, when using the lift for hoisting personnel, the safety factor is X4 of the calculated SWL.......so I'm not even sure if grade eight is enough for the Powder Puff pick.
I read that the max load for safety is /3 for shear and that ends up being about 300 lbs shy of the max load of the picker, that's why I was pretty sure Id want my bolts upgraded. Plus this is probably all chinese junk and you never know what youre getting there. I might not have *had* to do it, but for $38.00 I know that the frame will bend before the bolts do. That gives me a little piece of mind especially with the Powder Puff working right along with me so often. I just don't want to worry about her getting hurt. (Ever! but I'm paranoid

)

Maybe youre right about going to grade 100 or something!

Old February 20th, 2014, 12:54 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

This weekend we dragged the new picker, who we now call ol' Max, (Maximum lift!) out and put the bed on Cecilia to get some wood and lowes supplies. His reach isn't quite long enough to load the bed from the rear, so we did a kinda side loading, then a rear lift to settle it over that hugely high bumper.

First we jacked it up then backed Cecilia next to it.

Then we scooted Max closer to Cecilia and let the front settle down, with the back resting on the bumper fins.

Finally we tied Max to the back of the bed and lifted it over the fins and settled it in. It looks pretty easy here (Powder puff is doing all the work, right?!) but it took us about 2 hours total.

It's sitting in place now waiting on another good day for me to bolt it down.

You might be saying, "Hey Fetch! What are you doing? You're going backwards!" but really we just need to use her for a few runs and then the bed will come back off. Remember, I have new white oak slats to put in there!

Old February 20th, 2014, 03:28 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road

Hey, Fetch: You make me feel young again, and when my kids were the size of yours. Those younguns' will talk about spending that time with you and "Cec" when they have kids their age now. I bet the time you and they spent together will make memories that will last a lifetime. Plus what they learn from the experience will amaze you in their everyday life later on.
You have a great project going there in more ways than fixin' a truck.
Thanks for letting us ride along, and keep up the good work.
It's a fun ride for all of us.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:18 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Hi Fetch, I'm glad you and the "Powder Puff" are giving "Max" a workout! It is great that your weather is slowly improving so you guys can work outside again. Below zero at night again here and the high Saturday is supposed to be a whopping -3*!

I really dig that back bumper! I am going to try to build a similar one for my '55.

Keep the updates coming!---DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old February 28th, 2014, 02:07 AM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey, Fetch: You make me feel young again, and when my kids were the size of yours. Those younguns' will talk about spending that time with you and "Cec" when they have kids their age now. I bet the time you and they spent together will make memories that will last a lifetime. Plus what they learn from the experience will amaze you in their everyday life later on.
You have a great project going there in more ways than fixin' a truck.
Thanks for letting us ride along, and keep up the good work.
It's a fun ride for all of us.
Well said. I am basically reading this because my gramps had a 65...