6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old September 12th, 2018, 01:10 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default How does a slave cylinder go out?

How exactly does it feel when a slave cylinder finally goes out? Is the clutch/brake system all that complicated?

My clutch goes to the floor and stays there, but the reservoir is full. I know my slave cylinder is leaky (ordered a replacement already) but even leaky it still worked as long as I kept the tank full.

Is there another thing that goes out on these things pretty often that I should check while I'm in there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 12th, 2018, 04:47 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside, 1961 1000 Wideside
snazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How does a slave cylinder go out?

Fetch, When the slave cylinder fails, the clutch won't release anymore. Your small leak probably just became a big leak and drew air into the system which means no more hydraulics to work the clutch. Check the line from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. It has a rubber section which can also leak. Inline Tube sells a replacement line for $45 or you might have one made locally.
These trucks are not complicated compared to new ones. Of course when you add years of caked on grease, rusty bolts & nuts, wasps & mud daubers etc. things can get a little challenging. An original GMC service manual is worth the money too.
Old September 13th, 2018, 07:12 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How does a slave cylinder go out?

Air in the line was exactly what it was, thanks Snazzy! After a couple of days of having a full master cylinder gravity did its thing and my clutch works again!
I have a replacement slave cylinder on the way.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.