6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Other Rides and Projects

Other Rides and Projects Working on another year GMC? Maybe a Chevy, Dodge, F*rd, or even refinishing cabinets? Share your progress or start a build thread and let members follow along!

Old April 25th, 2018, 03:58 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Off Topic - any of you guys work with WOOD?

Our deck is getting splintery and old. My wife LOVES the look on some interior furniture pieces that let you see a deep shine but it's clear enough to see the wood underneath. Not stained or dark, too hot. But that clear new dining room table look.

So my question is this - what's the stuff they put on the wood to make it look like that? Can I use it on my deck once I sand it off and make it smooth again?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 26th, 2018, 01:20 PM
GMC Advisor

Truck: 1961 Short Fenderside
WDShaffer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Off Topic - any of you guys work with WOOD?

Interior finishes won’t hold up to the weather, but I think you are referring to varnish or polyurethane. A marine quality varnish would hold up. Be careful not to get too smooth or you will have a slippery deck. I just started a tool shed last week, and used a stain/sealer in cedar tone. I put an extra coat in the middle for traffic, and wound up with a stripe (a single coat is what they ask).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 375DF61D-7614-4A60-9F43-415A5F897E45.jpeg (3.12 MB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
Old April 26th, 2018, 04:00 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Interior finishes won’t hold up to the weather, but I think you are referring to varnish or polyurethane. A marine quality varnish would hold up. Be careful not to get too smooth or you will have a slippery deck. I just started a tool shed last week, and used a stain/sealer in cedar tone. I put an extra coat in the middle for traffic, and wound up with a stripe (a single coat is what they ask).
Haha, I did that on my new fence too! I had a spot that I thought needed more protetion (the doors) and so I painted it twice. Now they're dark and the rest of the fence is lighter. I'm going to skip staining it this year and just do the fence and see if it evens out.

So I priced marine varnish and that stuff is expensive. Is that normal? I can get a 5 gallon can of Behr stain for about 120 bucks, but that varnish stuff is about 50.00 a gallon.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 26th, 2018, 07:04 PM

Truck: 1966 I100
rusty66 is on a distinguished road

Zoro has rustoleum spar varnish for about 14$ a gallon.
Old April 27th, 2018, 12:59 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Thanks Rusty! Now that's more my speed, haha!