6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old February 22nd, 2023, 07:55 AM

Truck: GMC 1500 1965
GMCTom will become famous soon enoughGMCTom will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Turn signal flasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
I checked the wiring. It is as you described. Light blue (blue/white) is the left T/S. Dark blue is the right T/S. The violet wire connects left and right T/S socket. Black wire on each socket will ground to hood or socket housing.

What Violet wire? I said NOTHING about a VIO wire when describing front turn signal socket wiring, You are confusing yourself and confusing me.

And yes, one light blue (blue/white) and one dark blue wire routes from firewall connector to the dash connector.
I don't care what connectors the wires go thru. I only care about you being sure a wire is connected as I describe, point to point.. JUST LIKE THE DIAGRAM.

There is no way I can get any info or confirm anything by looking at the back of your fuse panel. It does not matter what colors you used to build it as long as it is wired functionally like the diagram. I tried to explain where each turn signal switch color goes functionally and used the colors you said you have coming from the switch. Wire the lights as I describe. I don't know all the colors you used for which.
Violet wire is connecting the two T/S sockets like in the original diagram but I don't know if I need it.

The whole truck was wired according to the original wiring diagram in the correct colors. Only the L of the flasher connects to the brown terminal and not to violet.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 08:07 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

There are two violets. They are not associated with each other. The one I've been speaking of is from the turn signal switch.
Brown comes from Ignition ACC. It is a switched hot. It goes to fuse panel and "jumps" to flasher X".
Violet comes from T/C switch to fuse panel Flasher "L".

The two violets are very confusing and extra confusing becasue you have separate park bulbs inside headlight. I now understand what you were saying/thinking.

That other violet is for parking lights which are in the headlight. My apologies for not seeing that the idiots at GMC used a violet there also. You must have already wired that violet to the bulbs inside headlight. That VIO does connect both headlight park bulbs together so that they can be turned on by the headlight switch. But NOT the front T/S sockets. They have to be separated to flash from the T/S switch.

Last edited by AZKen; February 22nd, 2023 at 08:40 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
There are two violets. They are not associated with each other. The one I've been speaking of is from the turn signal switch.
Brown comes from Ignition ACC. It is a switched hot. It goes to fuse panel and "jumps" to flasher X".

In my case the violet wire runs from T/C switch to fuse panel >> Flasher "X"
In my case the brown wire runs from the ignition switch to fuse panel >> Flasher "L".

The other Violet you are speaking of is the wire that is mentioned in my post: RFead thsi caerefuklly again and let me know if yuo don't understand the front socket wiring.

For the front turn signals. You have a dual filament bulb. That is OK but you will only use the large filament. I see three wires on each socket. This means only one socket wire will be wired to turn signal for each side. One wire not used and the ground will be attached to good ground place near light. Assuming the black wire is for ground. Socket may ground itself to hood when installed.
The left front T/S lamp large filament wire will be wired to Light blue switch wire. Right front T/S lamp large filament wire will be wired to dark blue switch wire. (Each of those will have a companion wire to the dash turn indicator bulb. Either two wires from one terminal or spliced. See diagram.)
I was trying to explain the not all of the socket wires on front sockets will be used. Wire sockets as I describe.

Think I understand. Let me read it a few more times
Answered your questions in blue color

Last edited by GMCTom; February 22nd, 2023 at 08:29 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 08:31 AM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

I have extensively revised the post you just quoted.. please read. One more time

Also do you agree that your "X" and "L" are wired wrong? and need to be reversed?
In my case the violet wire runs from T/C switch to fuse panel Flasher "X"
In my case the brown wire runs from ignition to fuse panel "L".

Can you change your quote box to the new quote for clarity.

Last edited by AZKen; February 22nd, 2023 at 08:44 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 08:41 AM

one moment
Old February 22nd, 2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:

The two violets are very confusing and extra confusing becasue you have separate park bulbs inside headlight. I now understand what you were saying/thinking. No problem AZKen, now we are togheter Not easy to describe for me

That other violet is for parking lights which are in the headlight. My apologies for not seeing that the idiots at GMC used a violet there also. You must have already wired that violet to the bulbs inside headlight. Yes I have done that. That VIO does connect both headlight park bulbs together so that they can be turned on by the headlight switch. But NOT the front T/S sockets. They have to be separated to flash from the T/S switch. Ok, now I understand. Thank you
Blue color
Old February 22nd, 2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I have extensively revised the post you just quoted.. please read. One more time

Also do you agree that your "X" and "L" are wired wrong? and need to be reversed?
In my case the violet wire runs from T/C switch to fuse panel Flasher "X"
In my case the brown wire runs from ignition to fuse panel "L".

Can you change your quote box to the new quote for clarity.

Yes I agree. X and L is not right. Now I have two options:

- change the brown and violet terminal on fuse panel (when I do that it is not according to the origianl wiring diagram)
- buy a new flasher.

Question: is it possible that the flasher is marked wrong with X and L? Are there any differences in the turn signal flashers with the position of X and L?
Old February 22nd, 2023, 08:58 AM

Don't think a flasher will be marked wrong.

Seems like you want to just swap the contacts and with their wires, inside fuse panel if the contacts are removeable.....or cut the wires and swap them with crimp splices. Which will leave a little violet on a brown wire and a little brown on a violet wire. Whatever way to get the job done.

Don't see a need for new flasher?

Ken
Old February 22nd, 2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Don't think a flasher will be marked wrong.

Seems like you want to just swap the contacts and with their wires, inside fuse panel if the contacts are removeable.....or cut the wires and swap them with crimp splices. Which will leave a little violet on a brown wire and a little brown on a violet wire. Whatever way to get the job done.
I'm with you. I will change the contacts in the fuse panel and will try again. Maybe today in the evening when it's not to cold. I think temperature in Arizona is nicer
I will report. Thank you so long
Old February 22nd, 2023, 09:07 AM

Maybe I will see a headline "EVERYTHING WORKS!!!!!"

Talk to you later, going to bed.