6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old August 9th, 2016, 03:30 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Hi Guys, Please Read.

As most of you know, parts are getting harder and harder to find as the years move on. It's my belief that automotive stores will stop producing parts for these within the next few years. Why? Everyone has to have that stupid small block. Some of the Simplest things are not available anymore. But here's what is, Through O'reily auto I was able to get a Full gasket set, timing set, rod bearings, oil pump, and distributor. Mains are Not reproduced! The only sets I can find are old reproduction TWR's which is the set I picked up from Ebay. So I guess I am saying, stock up on rebuild parts while you can people. The world is becoming stupidly boring, and one day folks like us who have some Taste in life will no longer be able to enjoy them as much. If parts do become obsolete you can guarantee a big detroit diesel will be going into Crustine. lol

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 9th, 2016, 06:34 PM

Truck: 64 Gmc suburbann 305e, 4speed. v12 truck engine, v12 irrigation,2-305e,305a,305d
bobdylan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hi Guys, Please Read.

I have been thinking about stocking up on 305 gaskets, I have stock pile at least 6, 351 headsets, that was a challenge the 305 will be rght behind.
Old August 10th, 2016, 02:43 PM

I am going to try and slowly stock up on 305 parts so later on I can do a full rebuild on the engine. Stuff is sure getting stupid spendy though.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 10th, 2016, 06:23 PM

Truck: 1965
Sonic65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's GMC View Post
As most of you know, parts are getting harder and harder to find as the years move on. It's my belief that automotive stores will stop producing parts for these within the next few years. Why? Everyone has to have that stupid small block. Some of the Simplest things are not available anymore. But here's what is, Through O'reily auto I was able to get a Full gasket set, timing set, rod bearings, oil pump, and distributor. Mains are Not reproduced! The only sets I can find are old reproduction TWR's which is the set I picked up from Ebay. So I guess I am saying, stock up on rebuild parts while you can people. The world is becoming stupidly boring, and one day folks like us who have some Taste in life will no longer be able to enjoy them as much. If parts do become obsolete you can guarantee a big detroit diesel will be going into Crustine. lol
Well, I am one of those guys that put one of those small blocks in. Mostly because back in 1994 the internet parts search was not like it is today, I lived in a small town with 1 autoparts store where the parts guy said "you mean 305 cubic inch Chevy right?"....and...becuase I was 19 at the time and did not know what else to do to get my Grandpa's truck on the road. Sooo....in went a 350/350 combo and I had it on the road in a week. This being said, I have grown older and seen the error I made. I had saved the engine in a shed so I will begin the process of undoing my mistake.

I wonder, though...how long will gasket sets last before deteriorating? I would like to rebuild my 305E and have parts for another rebuild or two. Just store the gaskets in a cool, dry place?

Thanks
John
Old August 10th, 2016, 10:11 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

How long a gasket will last is a complicated question. I never buy NOS carb kits or anything with diaphragms or rubber or cork, etc. If the gaskets you will be saving are old technology material or rubber or cork they will not only shrink dimensionally but will loose compression (durometer). If the gaskets are newer materials, and as you say, kept in temp control, flat and dry, they will last a long time. Buying gaskets and storing for many years for a 305 will have a risk. But what else can you do? I agree. The only plan B would be to make templates from them before they shrink, save the templates and have some gaskets made when ready to rebuild. The only gasket that could cause damage that I can think of is the head gasket. The others will just leak. There are many places that you can use sealer instead of a gasket now-a-days.
If gasket sets for V6 are not being made and the gaskets everyone is buying are old stock, they are being stored someplace, may have been stored for a long time and unknown if stored properly. They will shrink, outgas, dry out, thermal cycle (heat & chill) and ozone will damage. All depending on what material they are made from.

Last edited by AZKen; August 10th, 2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old August 10th, 2016, 10:54 PM

Gaskets seem to be readily available so far. I think those will be some of the last parts to go by the way side. I did call Kanter and they pretty much have Nothing for the v6's anymore and they are supposed to specialize in rare engines. It's like REALLY?

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420