6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old June 1st, 2018, 01:15 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default 4x4 Rear view mirror Question

My Truck is a 1960 Original 4X4. I believe it has original "dealer/accessory" Jr. west coast mirrors. The 4X4 sticker is right in the middle of upper windshield surround. No inside mirror or holes. Question: Did the factory leave the inside mirror off when West Coast mirrors were used? Did they somehow know they were going to be added? Did they add them?

I will be adding a inside mirror. Where does the 4x4 instruction sticker go then. I realize that 1960 is the first year for factory 4X4 and they may not have had the specs figured out for this little stuff. Just want opinions or how they did other early trucks.
Old June 1st, 2018, 02:24 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 4x4 Rear view mirror Question

My father bought his 62 K1000 brand new and it was specially ordered by him. The truck was equipped with just one round mirror head on the drivers door, there was no inside rear view mirror, a couple years later he had the dealer install the inside mirror and after the installation the mirror base covered up the very lower portion of the 4wd shifter instructions. Same deal with our 68 K2500, it came with the stock round door mirrors but on both doors and no inside rear view mirror. 2-3 weeks later he took it back to the dealer and they installed the inside rear view mirror but this time the 4wd sticker was mounted further up the ceiling so it wasn't obstructed.(pic included) Seems odd why 4wd models didn't come with a rear view mirror and the 68 also special order was fully optioned with the Super Custom cab & Bucket seats (CST option RPO Z84) gauges with Tach , AC as well as Power Brakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1113051815.jpg (33.6 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
Old June 1st, 2018, 05:49 AM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

I can't drive without an inside mirror. It will drive me crazy even though I use the side mirrors a lot. I wonder why it was only 4x4? Or was it? Wonder what Chevy did?
Anyway it makes no sense. It can't be because of the sticker, that would be very odd.
Old June 1st, 2018, 05:52 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

Definitely not because of the sticker, like I said my 68 has the sticker far enough away and still no mirror from the factory
Old June 1st, 2018, 05:57 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road

You drive a closed box straight truck, or even a semi-truck with a closed van trailer, you get real used to NOT using the then worthless inside mirror. Even the C-65 Dumptrucks and spreader trucks and old farm trucks I drove the inside mirrors would have been worthless. The readymix trucks you could actually see something out the back cab window, but the full West Coast mirrors on the doors worked much better.

Good Friday of 2000 or 2001 a lady driving her husbands Ram 1500 was delivering a toy doll house to her sister, didn't have the pieces propery secured in her truck, made a partial delivery at 70 mph almost into my seat beside me, shattered the far right side of the windshield and about $2500 damage overall. Glass shop replaced my windshield right away, and the pressure sensitive adhesive didn't hold, first warm sunny day the inside mirror fell off. I never tried to reattach it. Mirrors on the doors serve my needs much better.

Trucks back in the '40's and '50's didn't have much for mirrors, wasn't until about late 1950's or 1960 when mirrors comparable to today's mirrors became common.

Speaking of mirrors, You guys remember vent windows? My '96 F-250 had them. I smoked most of those years, '96 to '14, I never in 18 years and almost 300,000 miles ever put a cigarette butt out in the ashtray. I averaged about 15 miles per cigarette.
Old June 1st, 2018, 09:40 PM

Does that mean you threw the cigarettes out the vent window?
Old June 1st, 2018, 11:08 PM

chickentaco is on a distinguished road

powerstroke yes those were the days. and yes i was a proud vent flicker too.
Old June 4th, 2018, 01:36 PM

POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickentaco View Post
powerstroke yes those were the days. and yes i was a proud vent flicker too.
Empty soda cans went on the passenger side floor for recycling, cigarette butts went out the vent window, they eventually decompose.
Old June 4th, 2018, 05:37 PM

Easterners that have that habit, and move to AZ, CA, the west, start our forest fires. You have standing water every 5 feet, 50 inches of rain a year and we have none. Our forests in the west are being burnt down. BAD HABIT. Use your ash tray.
Old June 5th, 2018, 03:30 AM

chickentaco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
Easterners that have that habit, and move to AZ, CA, the west, start our forest fires. You have standing water every 5 feet, 50 inches of rain a year and we have none. Our forests in the west are being burnt down. BAD HABIT. Use your ash tray.
more lilkely all the pyros out there start them to get on the news. CA/AZ is full of crazies. Smoking is at an all time low. fires at a high. social media at a high. u do the math. My cigs still fly. Never had a fire on my routes. Ever.