6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old November 3rd, 2023, 11:03 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1966 GMC 1001
esquibdl is on a distinguished road
Default 66 GMC Heater control/switch not working

I have a three slider heater control/switch in my 66 GMC that is not working. The middle lever is an air/fan "Off-Lo-Med-Hi" switch. The left lever is DEFROST, and the right lever is HEAT. I can test that the switch is getting power to it via a 4-wire connector that plugs directly into the back of the switch. Power comes from a 10 Amp fuse on the Fuse Panel labeled HEATER / B.U. LPS. Fuse is good, and power is going through it. Any suggestions?

On a separate issue, the Heater Control Bulb was not working either. Found out that the 3A fuse on the Fuse Panel labeled PANEL LPS, which the heater lamp wire was plugged into, had no power. Moved the heater lamp power wire/connector on the fuse panel to another 3A fuse labeled RADIO / BRAKE LP, This fuse had power when the ignition switch is turned on. After making this wiring switch, my heater control lamp worked. Question: Any ideas why there is no power on the PANEL LPS fuse/circuit. Where does power come from for that panel fuse. Can't tell from looking at the front of the fuse panel.
Old November 3rd, 2023, 11:09 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 66 GMC Heater control/switch not working

Are you saying the fan isn't working? Could it just be a bad fan motor?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 4th, 2023, 04:05 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Yes, it could be the fan. Where is the fan and how do you get to it?
Old November 5th, 2023, 01:59 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

im about 200 miles from Cecilia right now but in this pic from my build thread you can see a metal contraption above the passenger footwell. I believe that's the motor housing.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 8th, 2023, 01:54 AM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquibdl View Post
I have a three slider heater control/switch in my 66 GMC that is not working. The middle lever is an air/fan "Off-Lo-Med-Hi" switch. The left lever is DEFROST, and the right lever is HEAT. I can test that the switch is getting power to it via a 4-wire connector that plugs directly into the back of the switch. Power comes from a 10 Amp fuse on the Fuse Panel labeled HEATER / B.U. LPS. Fuse is good, and power is going through it. Any suggestions?
With the connector connected to the switch and the switch on high, you should have voltage going to the switch, leaving the switch, then going the the firewall connector, and all the way to the motor connector. Also make sure your ground is good. There should be no voltage on the motor ground wire. If there is the there is no ground.

Quote:
On a separate issue, the Heater Control Bulb was not working either. Found out that the 3A fuse on the Fuse Panel labeled PANEL LPS, which the heater lamp wire was plugged into, had no power. Moved the heater lamp power wire/connector on the fuse panel to another 3A fuse labeled RADIO / BRAKE LP, This fuse had power when the ignition switch is turned on. After making this wiring switch, my heater control lamp worked. Question: Any ideas why there is no power on the PANEL LPS fuse/circuit. Where does power come from for that panel fuse. Can't tell from looking at the front of the fuse panel.
The power come from the same source as the dash lights. Check your wiring diagram for wire color, they should be the same.
Old November 8th, 2023, 02:25 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

All of my lighting problems were grounds.

Is there a pinout for the heater slider switch? Is there an actual ground wire. Or does the metal fan housing (if properly grounded) serve as the ground connection?
Old November 8th, 2023, 01:08 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

Quote:
All of my lighting problems were grounds.

Is there a pinout for the heater slider switch? Is there an actual ground wire. Or does the metal fan housing (if properly grounded) serve as the ground connection?
I do not have the wiring manual for your truck so I would not know. On my 64 it is grounded to the body of the motor. If your is the same then the motor to the blower housing and to the cab should have a good ground.