6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Other Rides and Projects

Other Rides and Projects Working on another year GMC? Maybe a Chevy, Dodge, F*rd, or even refinishing cabinets? Share your progress or start a build thread and let members follow along!

Old January 7th, 2014, 03:05 PM

Truck: '63 2500
fyrboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GMCDAC's GMCs

Quote:
(I have an old "Fyr Fyter" extinguisher hanging in my shop and your spelling reminded me--LOL!)
That's what gave me the idea for my license tag. Let it lapse in '95. I omitted the "E" because I didn't want it to all appear as one word, & NC allows 8 characters max. Enjoyed watching folks decipher it as I looked at them in my mirror. Their expression was even more-appreciated if they had to think about it a while.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Old January 7th, 2014, 07:09 PM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's what gave me the idea for my license tag. Let it lapse in '95. I omitted the "E" because I didn't want it to all appear as one word, & NC allows 8 characters max. Enjoyed watching folks decipher it as I looked at them in my mirror. Their expression was even more-appreciated if they had to think about it a while.

Ha! That's a pretty cool plate! I bet a lot of folks were baffled. Here's my extinguisher.

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fyr fyter 001.jpg (938.6 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old March 6th, 2014, 01:19 AM

It finally got above freezing here so when I got home from work I fired up a couple old GMCs. The '55 usually gets to be in the shop but I have a friends racecar in there so it is out in the cold too!

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55 and 72 GMCs.jpg (933.9 KB, Multiple views, 15 clicks)

Old March 6th, 2014, 02:15 AM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

Just now seeing this!
...good stuff.
Old March 7th, 2014, 01:13 AM

Thank-you sir!

DAC

Old March 8th, 2014, 09:06 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
It finally got above freezing here so when I got home from work I fired up a couple old GMCs. The '55 usually gets to be in the shop but I have a friends racecar in there so it is out in the cold too!

DAC
Those poor babies! you need to toss that junky ol' racecar out in the snow and warm them up good!

I really dig that 55. I'd like to see those build pics you have when you feel like it. I might start one as a project once I finish Cecilia as a "modernize" style build like the one on "Last Man Standing". I can't see messing up my GMC, but an old chevy from the 50's I can probably get over modernizing.

Great trucks! You're a lucky man!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 9th, 2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Those poor babies! you need to toss that junky ol' racecar out in the snow and warm them up good!

I really dig that 55. I'd like to see those build pics you have when you feel like it. I might start one as a project once I finish Cecilia as a "modernize" style build like the one on "Last Man Standing". I can't see messing up my GMC, but an old chevy from the 50's I can probably get over modernizing.

Great trucks! You're a lucky man!

Yeah-LOL the racecar needs to go! I am lettering it so it better stay inside till I'm done, hopefully by tomorrow evening, maybe Monday.

Glad you like the '55. When I get the racecar outa here I will try to start the thread but it probably won't be liked too well, the GMC 248 six was replaced with a mid sixties Chevy 230 long before I got the truck. Other than that it is about all the modernization that one got besides the tires and a CD player, and that was only because someone hacked the radio hole in the dash.

I'm glad you don't want to mess up Cecilia and the road you travel with her suits me fine! It has to be a blast for you all going through all the trials of gettin' an old GMC roadworthy! I think these GMCs have a better story to tell when some of their past is preserved even if you don't know it's past like me with the '55.

You hit the nail on the head with modernizing a Chevy, I have heard that the post WWII production numbers were about 4 or 5 Chevys to 1 GMC clear up to 1972 and maybe even after that. If I hot rodded a Chevy pickup I bet it would end up with a GMC grill and tailgate on it though!-LOL!

Later---DAC

Old March 20th, 2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Been too busy to post but that "junky ol' racecar"--LOL was finished a week ago. The owner couldn't come get it due to a family health issue. He was able to come get it Friday night and the '55 came right in after sweeping the shop floor. Had a couple more inches of snow Saturday and 3 or 4 Monday night! Our first blizzard this winter was October 4th with 31 inches---enuff is enuff already!

Here's that racecar I lettered then maybe I can do a brief rundown on the '55 in the next few days.

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fairbanks 2014 006.jpg (891.8 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg Fairbanks 2014 008.jpg (987.4 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg Fairbanks 2014 011.jpg (911.6 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg Fairbanks 2014 016.jpg (727.4 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg Fairbanks 2014 015.jpg (769.7 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)

Old August 26th, 2014, 12:14 AM

Hey all, I don't know if this will be of interest, but I have had to build a set of heads recently for my '72 GMC (SBC sorry!) and I never really liked my old valve spring compressor. I remembered seeing pics of one that someone built out af a c-clamp years ago and decided to copy that idea. I had an 8" clamp and a 1/2" pipe coupling. Holes were ground in both sides of the coupling and then it was tack welded to the stationary end of the clamp. It worked real well and there is plenty of room to install the seal and retainers through the holes in the coupling. Here are a few pics.

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg homemade valve spring compressor 002.jpg (2.38 MB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg homemade valve spring compressor 003.jpg (2.60 MB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg C2500 valve issues#6 032.jpg (2.16 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg C2500 valve issues#6 041.jpg (1.98 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg C2500 valve issues#6 042.jpg (3.03 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)

Old September 23rd, 2014, 02:31 AM

Hi everyone! I don't know what the heck I have gotten myself into now but here are some pics of our "new" monstrosity. My Uncle-In-Law called last night and said he had a free slide-in cabover camper that he didn't want to scrap but he felt it had no value otherwise. They had recently purchased a pull-behind so they could get up in it easier. I knew this camper and that it was in great condition for being from the early '70s BUT I don't have a truck to come get it on a 3 hour round trip right now. My '72 is still undergoing repairs. He said he only wanted to unload it one last time as they had been all over the country with it this summer so they even delivered it today.

Yeah, it is SO big that it has an extra axle on it so a 3/4 ton truck can handle it.

Got a ton of original paperwork too but have not been able to go through it all yet.

Well, be prepared------

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Born Free camper 006.jpg (2.33 MB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
File Type: jpg Born Free camper 007.jpg (2.72 MB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
File Type: jpg Born Free camper interior.jpg (1.69 MB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
File Type: jpg Born Free camper 009.jpg (2.27 MB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
File Type: jpg Born Free camper 010.jpg (3.28 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg Born Free camper 011.jpg (2.10 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg Born Free camper 012.jpg (2.06 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg Born Free camper 013.jpg (2.18 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg Born Free camper 015.jpg (2.08 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg Born Free camper tag.jpg (610.8 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)