6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old January 25th, 2013, 06:51 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 3500 Rescue Squad
6066gmcguy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: History, Teardown, and Rebuild 63 1-ton panel

That is a nice rig your restoring they, keep up the good work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on FacePage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
1965 GMC 3500 Custom Rescue Squad {Black Built Bodies}
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:08 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Great chronicaling on your build! What a job. Did the kids swingset really hold it up ok?
I've been wondering what I was going to do with lifting bed and cab if I get that involved.
There aren't any good sized trees around here I can use
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:37 PM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road

Interesting project/w a great history.
When finished, you'll look back and see where all the blood, sweat, and mashed fingers were worth it.
Kid might be mad at ya' for stealing their swing set, tho.
Great Job!

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:17 AM

Truck: 1963 1-ton Panel 305E SM420
63_Rouss_Fire_Co_GMC is on a distinguished road

Found two more images of the truck back when the fire department had it. One of the images was taken in 1971 just 2 years before the truck would be turned over the the local high school for their band wagon. Looking at that photo you also see what appears to be a red and white GMC. I can't seem to see any "V6" badges on the side of the hood tho. Also I believe a 62 Chevy truck is also in the photo.

Started the V6 up yesterday, man it runs smooth. I gotta figure out how to get this body pulled back to its shape at the rear of the doors. It stretched when the frame was out from the body, I didn't know at the time I had to brace it. Anyone have any suggestion on how to get the cab back to its "shape". I was think a come-a-long and pull it somehow after cutting the floor loose(needs replaced due to rust)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63RoussGMC.jpg (17.6 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg winchesterfiredepts1971.jpg (25.0 KB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
Old January 31st, 2013, 08:18 AM

Found some images on my railroad website of my GMC. I used to drive alongside the tracks and on the abandoned roadbed. The railroad, the Western Maryland Railway ran from Baltimore, Md. to Connellsville, Pa. It was mostly abandoned in 1975 by the Chessie System. Anyway like I said I used to drive the roadbed, here are some shots back around 2000, 2003 of the truck a some locations. If your wanting to know more about the railroad check out my website,

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

. I also drove my 63 Impala on a lot of the abandoned route also if the clearence wasn't too bad on the ballast.

As for the truck today, I ordered some 1962 fleetside cross sills from a Tuckers Auto Parts in Nevada. Was gonna go the Classic Industries route but shipping on 3 cross sills was 184 bucks, only 54 bucks other place. I'll see what I get for what I paid.

Jeremy Cooper
Winchester, Va
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fortfrederick_b104_gmc.jpg (89.9 KB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
File Type: jpg roundtopmill_b118.8_gmc.jpg (83.1 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
File Type: jpg cohill_b122.2_gmc.jpg (91.4 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg eastendjerome_b136.4_gmc.jpg (96.9 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg eastendjeromespringswitchremains_b136.4_gmc.jpg (100.6 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
Old January 31st, 2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Great chronicaling on your build! What a job. Did the kids swingset really hold it up ok?
I've been wondering what I was going to do with lifting bed and cab if I get that involved.
There aren't any good sized trees around here I can use
Swing set did just fine. I had wrapped chains through the windshield opening to hold it up high off the frame. Wrapped the chains n heavy blanket to prevent bending of glass weatherstrip lip. But I here I should have hung it from door opening, much stronger spot I'm told. Make sure you weld up some braces in the cab, I didn't and mine stretched. But may not be as bad with a pickup compaired to an open panel/suburban body. Have more pics of it lifted also. Jeremy
Old February 1st, 2013, 02:31 AM

Dug out some old slides I had, found some GMC photos. The first was taken during a Boy Scout Winter Jamboree here in Winchester. See the GMC in its 2-tone green next to a new military Humvee. Second and third photo taken after the truck had been painted for Forrest Gump. The CSX train is eastbound at Hanstrote, WV. The last photos were during removal of the many layers of paint. The first shot shows primer under the other layers from when it was in the fire department. I was told they had to sand off the lettering and primer over where they sanded before the truck was sold. Then a photo of a door I got off a big GMC moving truck. I hope that truck is still there, like to see what V6 is in it.

Jeremy Cooper
Winchester, VA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMC_Winter_Jamboree_CostcoLot.jpg (75.2 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg Hanstrote%20%20WV%20on%20B%26O_GMC.jpg (84.3 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg Forrest%20Gump%20GMC_01.jpg (73.1 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMC_paint%20removed-rouss%20primer%20markings.jpg (80.9 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
File Type: jpg GMC_Manassas%20Transfer%20door.jpg (67.1 KB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:33 AM

Truck: 1962 Stepside
Noproblemallis is on a distinguished road

Jeremy,
Great work and photos! The only problem is that you make it look too easy.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:32 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Trains and trucks just go together don't they? I don't know why. Thanks for all the great historic pics
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Jeremy,
Great work and photos! The only problem is that you make it look too easy.
After I took the body off the frame I thought what did I get myself into. I had washed and brushed dirt off a lot before even taking the body off. Only took off the body to get to the frame under the cab. Wanted to do it right and removing the body made it easier to work with the frame. Then it was using a wire brush by hand. I bought some small wire brushes the size of tooth brushes to get into the small/tight areas. Also got some cleaner from work and used that a lot to scrub and brush off dirt and rust. Used a drill with a wire brush wheel on the big areas. I used a lot of brake parts cleaner too, to remove grease and to clean the metal before I painted it. Used the Eastwood rust encapsulator by the can. Then followed that up with the same paint in spray cans to get the hard to reach places. Topcoated with Chassic Black, can the spray bomb.

Trouble I have it body mounts for this truck. It originally used a retangular mount that had a metal plate one one side. Of the 20plus mounts on the truck, 2 or 3 are still good. I found some hard plastic material at work and I cut out and made some mounts. I will see how those work first if not a 70's Blazer mounts are same thickness just wider.

If interested in more photos during the cleaning, painting, or those mounts I have more photos. Just waiting on those cross sills I ordered to show up so see if they will even be close to what was original. Thinking about just goin to the metal shop that I got the gas tank brackets made and get some metal box tubing to replace the cross sills and custom make a rear cross sill.