6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old February 1st, 2013, 04:18 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Greetings, Fetch me a Pepsi!

Great pix, looks like you've got a nice truck in Cecilia, well worth restoring! Seeing all of those pix, and the songs you mentioned, took me all the way back to the 60's when I was just a teenage lad, and you couldn't go anywhere without seeing one of these old GMC's on the road somewhere. Although those old GMC's don't have all of the bells and whistles that the new ones do, I think I'd prefer the old GMC, when a truck was a truck, and could be used for more than just going to the store to get groceries!

George Bongert
Oshkosh Wisconsin
Old February 1st, 2013, 08:49 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

You said it George! i get a kick out of these old tunes. they just seem to fit with the truck.

"Please mr custer....I don't wanna go...."
"FORWARD HO!!!"
"no!"
Old February 1st, 2013, 08:50 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Since we spruced up the carb let's go ahead and knock the crud off the engine while we're at it. Click any pic to see a larger version.

For this task you'll need:
  • 9/16 Wrench
  • Wrench for your battery cables, whatever size they are (this varies widely)
  • Prybar or crowbar to tighten your belt
  • About 20 oz Simple Green. $5 bux at Walmart
  • A plastic bag
  • A zip tie or coat hanger (wire, not plastic)
  • A water hose
  • Um...water
  • About 15 minutes, then about 20 minutes four hours later.

First we'll cover the DO NOT's.

Do NOT do this:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Or this:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Or this either:

Or this, even if you saw it on TV and it wasn't fatal. George is a monkey and he does things you can't do.

To begin cover your carb intake. Getting simple green in your engine DOES NOT MAKE YOUR ENGINE A HYBRID.

Then grab your trusty bottle of simple green. Full strength. Mine was confiscated from the wife's laundry room. Dig my stylin flowers and purple top.

Now thoroughly douse the engine, taking care not to splash the carb, the alternator, or the battery. Spray heavily in the nooks and crannies around the water pump (the thing the huge front fan ties to) and intake manifold (top of the engine under the carb) After even a couple of seconds it looks alot better!

I only ended up using half the bottle. In half an hour we'll reapply. Don't forget or you'll not get a very good result.

So wait 1/2 hour and re-spray it again. (redundant?)

Then go have lunch or play monopoly. You have four hours to kill...
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:52 AM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I'm glad you clarified that bottle came from your wife's laundry room and not your tool cabinet (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:05 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Ha ha Clark yes there is a LOT wrong with that!
Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:08 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Now it's about 4 hours later. Wait, you didn't wait 4 full hours. Go wait some more. Stop reading...Seriously...

Ok, looks about right to me. Let's move on.

Place the plastic bag over your carburetor (carb). Don't worry, she won't choke. It's just to keep the water from drowning her.

Then secure it with a coat hanger or in my case this bungee cord.

And because this task is so easy, have your little helper rearrange all of your newly bought wrenches into a decorative pile on the grass. Then make sure he leaves before putting them back in their proper place. Spend 15 minutes digging them out of the grass and mud and put them back in their holder.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:19 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

At this point we need to get our hands dirty again. Take your wrenches and remove your battery cables. You don't have to unscrew these bolts all the way. They just need to be loose enough that you can twist the top portion around and squeegle it off of the battery post. Don't beat it with a hammer. That's just stupid.

Then remove the wires and yank the old crusty thing out like an old tooth. Don't try washing it though. They don't like water. At all.

Move to the alternator. It has two bolts. If yours is like mine and has been "fixed" you probably have two all-the-way-through bolts so you'll need two 1/2 wrenches to take them off. One for each side. Here I am only showing one side to confuse you.

We're going to be squirting water all over so don't lay your removed bolts on the fender well like this. They'll end up lost. Put them some place safe and far away.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:08 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Get a power washer!!!! No less than 13hp and 3500psi. Seriously My power washer cost more than most of my trucks and I use it a lot. Plus its one of the few machines my wife loves. Bonus x2....Barry
Old February 2nd, 2013, 04:24 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Barry its funny you said that I got one for christmas! its not 13 hp and 300 psi though those are way too expensive for me. I got four kids! Maybe i can sell one? Ha ha!

Mine was 24oo psi and 5.5 hp honda motor. I ran it for a minute last week and it blows water all the way across my yard. Im hoping when I finish fiddling with the motor it'll put out close to 3000 psi on jet blaster mode. the motor is set to run really slow frmo the factory.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:28 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

The second bolt is underneath the alternator. I tried to get a pic. Hopefully you can find it. Be careful though, once it's just a little loose the alternator will likely fall over whichever way gravity pulls it. Hold it with one hand to be safe. Just loosen this bolt. Don't take it all the way out yet.

Once the second bolt is loose you can move the alternator and remove the belt. Just slip it off of the alternator, keeping an eye on where it runs on the other two (or three, or four) pulleys. I just unhooked mine and set it down gently.

Freed of the belt, we can now unplug our alternator. Just mash on the forward portion of the plastic plug and pull it straight out. It's a simple plug like what you'd see on a computer hard disk in the older days.

Now you can get to the bottom bolt better to remove it. I used a 9/16 wrench that I found in the grass.

Then take the nut off of the back. Mine is held in place with a long threaded shaft.

And a piece of wayward pipe?