6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old December 22nd, 2019, 08:31 PM

Truck: 1966 1000 Wideside 1962 1500 Wideside 401 Magnum
Quigley will become famous soon enoughQuigley will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Vented valve cover or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgroby View Post
On my '60 I too have a valve cover breather, but also have the filter tube behind the rdriver's side head. Do I need to remove the valve cover mushroom vented cap and put a closed cap too?
On your 60 you should have a vented cap and a tube on the rear that goes all the way down and vents by the pan. My 62 is like that. I don't know what year they changed them but I know my 66 has the PCV valves,closed caps on the valve covers and just a vented can with filter on the rear motor..I like the old style better..I'm pretty sure yours is correct for a 60. Dave
Old December 22nd, 2019, 08:39 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 1002 GMC V6-305E
LEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enough

Jake, the 1960 model had the road draft system. It was in 63 that the pcv system was introduced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LEWISMATKIN; December 22nd, 2019 at 08:42 PM. Reason: WRONG YEAR GIVEN
Old December 22nd, 2019, 08:45 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I can confirm that 62 had the road draft system. Or as I like to call it, the "cut your head open any time you work under the truck system".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 12th, 2020, 09:44 PM

Truck: 1963 GMC 1000 sm420 305E lwb wideside
jmfurgason is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Vented valve cover or no?

No PCV on heads of my 1963 305E just filter behind driver side crankcase, is this standard ??
Old January 12th, 2020, 10:08 PM

Truck: 1966 1000 Wideside 1962 1500 Wideside 401 Magnum
Quigley will become famous soon enoughQuigley will become famous soon enough

If you have the filter in the Rear of the motor it should have a PCV valve under each valve cover,screwed it the heads by the rocker arms. Dave
Old January 16th, 2020, 02:48 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 1002 GMC V6-305E
LEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgroby View Post
On my '60 I too have a valve cover breather, but also have the filter tube behind the rdriver's side head. Do I need to remove the valve cover mushroom vented cap and put a closed cap too?
Jake, the road draft is correct for your engine, given the fact you have the road draft breather. Don't seal up your valve covers with non-vented caps, that is how your engine breathes. Simply clean the caps, and lightly re-oil them.

Old January 16th, 2020, 02:06 PM

Truck: 64 1/2 ton
tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough

On my 64 305E, I had to reinstall the valve cover breather because I get too many crankcase vapors and it has caused a leak at the valve cover above the starter. I firmly believe this is because my valve guides are worn causing combustion gases to enter under the valve cover, could also be the reason I have a couple lower compression readings in two of the cylinders. I plan on doing a leak down test to confirm. I haven't studied the GMC pcv system yet but if like other systems it is a controlled vacuum leak into the intake runner that is sucking out unburned crankcase vapors. It has a specific orifice to control a specific amount of flow, beyond that, will remain crankcase vapors that can pressurize the crankcase causing leaks like the one in my valve cover. I have heard people having rear main leaks and gone through expensive repairs to replace the rear main only to have the new one leak too, this could because of a broken ring or worn valve guide or seal too.

Also, I see some of the 305 engine series had road draft tubes/ vented valve cover caps, others after 1962, had pcv systems with the filter canister in place where the road draft tube usually resides and non vented valve cover cap and pcvs screwed into each cylinder head's intake port. My truck was made in Oakland Calf. and was probably one of the ones with calf. emissions requiring it to have the pcvs. Haven't looked into the WW carburetor yet to see if jetting was different because of this but suspect there were jetting changes too.

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, SM420
Finished Cab off restoration

1964 GMC 1000
305 V6, SM 420
Restoration is now started, still looking for an oldsmobile style power steering pump

Last edited by tbucketnut; January 16th, 2020 at 02:14 PM.