6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old March 14th, 2013, 01:31 AM

Truck: n/a
Texas63GMC is on a distinguished road
Default distributor

I have a 351 (non magnum) from a unknown year in my '63. The engine was missing a coil and other parts when I got it. It has now been rebuilt and the stock distributor was pulled during. The way the distributor was installed has the vacuum advance pointing at the rear passenger side head. The small bent silver tube with the spring loaded cover is pointing at the drivers side rear head. The engine has been started, and is running.
I found a coil bracket (cup type) and the vacuum advance in in the way of where the bracket mounts at the rear passenger side head.
From pictures I've seen of other motors it looks as if the vacuum should be pointing forward and the tube pointing rearward. Is that right?

I have read how to locate TDC on the comression stroke of #1 clyinder, but can find that now. Does anyone have a link to that?
If the rotor points to a differnt spark plug lead on the cap can I use that to attach the #1 spark plug wire? and move the other wires in firing order...or does everything move...

sorry for the stupid questions. I have manuals they are just out of town now.
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:16 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: distributor

The one thing that can help is depending on what year your 351 is there were two different locations for the number one on the distributor, 1960-63 number one was in the 6 o'clock position. On 1964-74 number one was in the 5 o'clock position, the vacuum pot for the advance should be roughly in the 6 o'clock position leaning towards 7 o'clock.
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:59 PM

Truck: 1960 C-10 Short Fleet
raycow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas63GMC View Post
I have read how to locate TDC on the comression stroke of #1 clyinder, but can find that now. Does anyone have a link to that?
If the rotor points to a differnt spark plug lead on the cap can I use that to attach the #1 spark plug wire? and move the other wires in firing order...or does everything move...
If your engine runs now, and you aren't doing a stock resto for points, it doesn't really matter where #1 ends up on the distributor. There is a quick and dirty way to fix your problem without having to pull the distributor out of the engine, and you don't need to have the engine on #1 TDC.

Put a mark on some stationary part of the engine that visually lines up with the cap terminal where the #1 wire is inserted now. Loosen the hold-down clamp and rotate the distributor so as to locate the vacuum advance approximately where you want it. Just make sure that one of the cap terminals (it doesn't matter which one) lines up with the mark you made. Now tighten the clamp.

Put the #1 wire in whichever hole now lines up with the mark and insert the other wires in normal firing order rotation. The timing will be close enough that the engine should start and run, but you will still need to use a timing light to set the timing exactly.

This procedure might sound more complicated than it really is, so if you have any questions, ask them before you move the distributor.

Ray
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:43 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

I *never* assume the positions in the book are correct. Actually, I have never even thought of making sure that the distributor matches the illustrations. As long as the #1 on the cap fires the #1 plug at the right time, and the rest follow in proper order, does it really matter which connection is #1?

I have worked on several engines in various vehicles and I can't say for certain that any really resembled the illustrations.

If it really matters, get the #1 cylinder to firing position.
pull the distributor out and rotate the rotor close to where you want #1 to be, then put it back in. You may have to do this again and move it a tooth since it will turn a little as the gears mesh.
Once the rotor is pointing where you want it, put the cap on... then rotate the distributor until the preferred connection on the cap lines up with the rotor. Then install the wires.

I haven't kept count of the number, but I have had to "rescue" people before who worked on their own vehicles only to find that it wouldn't start when they were done... solely because they used the illustration in the book to set the order on the cap instead of actually looking to see where #1 really was. Of course those are the people who pull all wires before beginning...
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old March 14th, 2013, 08:05 PM

Truck: n/a
Texas63GMC is on a distinguished road

Thanks!