6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old September 2nd, 2014, 02:29 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road
Default 25% of stove bolt post are wrong info.

Just for you guys to ponder. At least 25% of the stove bolt post are full of wrong info. This includes lots of the senior posters. !67 -72 has issues but not as bad as the bolt. Dont trust the bolt posts. Barry
Old September 2nd, 2014, 03:28 AM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 25% of stove bolt post are wrong info.

Typically that is because they believe that GMC and Chevrolet are identical and what applies to one applies to both.

I was reading a thread regarding wiring and they told the GMC owner that his wiring was all messed up because the regulator was on the wrong side... told him that there shouldn't be anything wired on the passenger side.
That might be true of a Chevy, but not of a GMC.
What I thought was terrible was that they were so positive they were correct, they didn't seem to entertain any notion that his truck was correct and they were wrong.

Which is probably why I never registered an account there (that I can remember anyway).
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old September 2nd, 2014, 06:37 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough

I don't think I am a "Stovebolter" or if I am I do not know my login info LOL
But this sounds like a good opportunity for some of us who do know apples from oranges to educate uneducated readers on any forum. We should assume the burden of the educator to prevent mis-information wherever it is being spread.

Just an opinion

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Old September 3rd, 2014, 03:00 PM

Truck: 65 1 ton
Pope is on a distinguished road

Wow 25% ?... I have seen wrong info on pretty much every forum, and cannot really say that one is as bad as the other when it's pretty much the same people who spew wrong informaton each site. Sometimes it's just someone who is trying to help since no one else has posted a reply, and yes other times it's a knuckle head that's just plain wrong. I think a good idea to help preserve facts and keep people on the right information highway would be to start picture loaded permanent post on the forums with the differences between GMC and Chevrolet trucks rather than get twisted up about something that I agree sometimes gets to be an issue, and can benefit from the attention. Another tool to help is the moderator of the forum, if you see blatant wrong post let them know so they can help, many moderators get busy and don't always know or can catch the crap that gets posted.
Old September 5th, 2014, 06:12 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 3500 Rescue Squad
6066gmcguy is on a distinguished road

way back when i started playing online, I signed up on that site. two things to remember, that site stared out covering the older trucks, pre-1956 mostly, than they added the newer trucks later, and what David said above..."they believe that GMC and Chevrolet are identical".

back when I was putting the 6066 GMC Trucks website together, I posted a lot of info that was wrong, but as the right info was found I made the changes needed to get it right. the trouble with forums is once its posted, it never really gets changed once some one finds out they were wrong.

on FacePage.

the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
1965 GMC 3500 Custom Rescue Squad {Black Built Bodies}
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.
Old September 6th, 2014, 01:37 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option

if you guys think people are clueless about 60's GMC and the V6, you should take a ride around the internet and listen to the BS and cockeyed info being spread about the 55-59 Blue Chip trucks. WOW. For example, even magazines as prestigious as Hemmings Motor News continually do incorrect fact containing articles on them. Just about every person, and magazine writer refers to GMC's version of a Chevrolet Cameo as a "Suburban Carrier". No such name ever existed, but because everyone keeps telling each other this is the right name, it gets spread to epidemic proportions. The GMC "Cameo" truck was called a "Suburban Pickup". The "Carrier" name got stuck on the GMC because the Cameo correct full name is Cameo Carrier. My 57 Suburban Pickup has original firewall grease pencil markings that say "Sub P.U." so we know this is correct. No one ever tells the Pontiac V8 engine story right either, or dozens of other GMC vs Chevy differences separating the two lines. Its a full time job keeping everybody I talk to straight on the 55-59 stuff much less adding the 60-66 stuff on top of that hehehehe

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Old September 6th, 2014, 03:24 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
if you guys think people are clueless about 60's GMC and the V6, you should take a ride around the internet and listen to the BS and cockeyed info being spread about the 55-59 Blue Chip trucks. WOW. For example, even magazines as prestigious as Hemmings Motor News continually do incorrect fact containing articles on them. Just about every person, and magazine writer refers to GMC's version of a Chevrolet Cameo as a "Suburban Carrier". No such name ever existed, but because everyone keeps telling each other this is the right name, it gets spread to epidemic proportions. The GMC "Cameo" truck was called a "Suburban Pickup". The "Carrier" name got stuck on the GMC because the Cameo correct full name is Cameo Carrier. My 57 Suburban Pickup has original firewall grease pencil markings that say "Sub P.U." so we know this is correct. No one ever tells the Pontiac V8 engine story right either, or dozens of other GMC vs Chevy differences separating the two lines. Its a full time job keeping everybody I talk to straight on the 55-59 stuff much less adding the 60-66 stuff on top of that hehehehe
Good comment GMCNUT! I sure don't know a lot about all this GMC stuff but they are still my passion. Right now there is a debate on the "big city truck site" about a distributor on an I-6 1959 GMC. The owner can't understand why the distributor moves while the engine is running. I'm pretty sure that the distributor is supposed to rotate to advance and retard the timing. I don't own a GMC engine that does that, but do have a 1957 Chevy truck 235 that the whole distributor rotates. Everyone is agreeing with him that something is wrong with the distributor and it should be stationary. I can't understand that they would think that just for the reason this kid said it had a steel vacuum advance line. The "experts" over there are showing him drawings of 60's and 70's Chevy points and HEI distributors trying to help and even offering to send him free Chevy distributors. I'm pretty sure that ain't gonna work!---LOL! I quit trying to give this kid information when they were giving him 55-59 Chevy pics and info of how to wire dash gauges in a GMC. I got ignored trying to explain that one indicator flashed for right or left turn signals back then (at least in my '55 GMC), so I quit trying to help.

Never cared much for Stovebolt. Not enough pics for me and pics explain more to me than anything else.

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old September 6th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Banned

What. The 55-59 gmc trucks don't have buick motors? DAC. That thread with the 59 gmc on 67-72 is painfull to read. Holy cow. That has to get my vote for the worst. The blind leading the blind in circles while they all think they have made great progress.
My favorite v6 myth out there is that they only ever got 5mpg. I just heard this again from a local at the grocery store. I don't even correct em any more. I said that's why it has 3 tanks.
My second favorite myth centers around a 60 Chevy truck I have with a 348. 9 out of ten people who see it all have stories about one they had or an uncle or there dad had one just like it. It was ordered that way. Bla bla bla. I used to correct them. Now I just say bet you wished you kept it. Super rare and worth huge money back east. 50-60 grand.
Old September 6th, 2014, 04:24 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryGMC View Post
What. The 55-59 gmc trucks don't have buick motors? DAC. That thread with the 59 gmc on 67-72 is painfull to read. Holy cow. That has to get my vote for the worst. The blind leading the blind in circles while they all think they have made great progress.
My favorite v6 myth out there is that they only ever got 5mpg. I just heard this again from a local at the grocery store. I don't even correct em any more. I said that's why it has 3 tanks.
My second favorite myth centers around a 60 Chevy truck I have with a 348. 9 out of ten people who see it all have stories about one they had or an uncle or there dad had one just like it. It was ordered that way. Bla bla bla. I used to correct them. Now I just say bet you wished you kept it. Super rare and worth huge money back east. 50-60 grand.
So I know a 348 could be ordered in a 3/4 ton starting in 1958 or 59, because I have seen a couple of them - not sure about 1960, but I thought you had to move up to the C60 size rig before the 348 was available - what size truck do you have that came with the 348? I guess my 1960 Data Book would say somewhere in it what truck size you had to order to get the 348

Old September 6th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Banned

No 348 engines in 60-66 light trucks. Only medium duty. The 348 won't bolt into the stock bell housing location without some fire wall work. I put it in. I used bbc motor stands from a 70 truck. T400 trans and crossmember from a 72. Cut out the stock tranny crossmember, and moved it all forward 3 inches. Also used a 60 auto column. I have been building a 61 Chevy k 20 frame to put under this body. This is a real bitsa truck. Some day I may post some on it but for now I don't want to contribute to the delinquency of others.