6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass

Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass Beauty is only 4 coats deep...

Old January 3rd, 2019, 05:19 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Wiper Park Problem

1960 1/2T. When I put the wiper motor back in, I was thinking that park was "built in" or "automatic". I was not thinking right. Blades stop whenever I turn switch off. So of course I read the manual AFTER I struggled for a few hours to install it all. There is a white arrow stenciled on the motor. I saw that but thought it was for wiring or something. Turns out I was supposed to somehow align the rotating bar with arrow to achieve "Park" position. Is there any way I can fix this without taking it all out. I can't see the arrow because it's against the firewall. I really don't understand what aligning the arrow does. I guess somehow if you always start there, it returns there? Can I remove the transmission arms and rotate the motor arm by hand to find park? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 03:17 PM
GMC Advisor

Truck: 1961 Short Fenderside
WDShaffer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wiper Park Problem

As long as the driven arm that attaches to the motor shaft is not keyed to a specific spot, that should work fine. I haven’t looked at my mechanism yet to know implicitly how it attaches to the motor.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 06:12 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Wiper Park Problem

I think the "arm" that fits on the motor shaft has a double D hole in it. So there would be two ways to install. My question is will I be able to actually rotate the motor shaft or will the gear train not move by hand. I want to try and find park without seeing the arrow by trial an error. I assume if you are supposed to align the arrow on the bench, then you can move the shaft. Have not removed blades and cowl yet to try. Thought someone might have had this problem. Seems like, after looking on Ebay, 60-62 may be different motor than 63-66. Mine is two terminal.