6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old January 24th, 2022, 10:41 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice
Default Re: 1964 Palomino Tan build

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Not sure how helpful this will be but.

jump to 6:50 mark to see how he did it for a small block chevy. I would call Novak for advice

Last edited by Funky61; January 24th, 2022 at 10:46 PM.
Old January 25th, 2022, 05:58 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500
Caseyjones is on a distinguished road

Thanks, that video explains the bolt head interference perfectly. It’s beginning to look like carving up that rib is the only way to put that transmission on a GMC v6…
Old February 25th, 2022, 09:55 PM

Well, I took the plunge:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I followed my plan of making clearance for the socket head cap screws on the upper mount locations. I had to grind back on the ribs a bit to make clearance for both the bolt and the hex socket that I used to tighten down the bolts. Still seems like there is plenty of meat on the case, and I didn't get too close to any of bolts that hold the adapter to the transmission. I also had to drill out the threads in the upper holes on the Novak adapter.

I used the stock GMC clutch, pilot bearing and throwout bearing and it all appears to be functioning properly. Driveshaft is being built so haven't driven it yet. The original Comanche shifter looks like it will hit the seat so I'm going to have to do something different with that.

I've also finished shortening the truck:

I've gotten the frame welded back together, replaced the brake line, installed a 1966+ parking brake setup, and cut the new hole for the shifter. Still have to reconnect the fuel line, install the driveshaft, cobble up the exhaust, install the new speedometer cable, and do a fluid change. Can't wait to see how the truck responds to all of the changes.
Old February 26th, 2022, 08:00 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough

I bet it'll drive like a charm with this transmission compared to say an SM420 because of the closer ratios, allowing one to keep the RPMs in that low RPM torque band the V6 has. You'll take advantage of the engine that way.

Kind of wished there was a close-ratio transmission like this that had the shifter in the stock SM420 location.

What are you going to run regarding the exhaust system?
Old February 26th, 2022, 02:26 PM

It came to me with 2.5” dual pipes with rotten mufflers. I have some long glasspacks that I’ll use for now and see how it sounds. I don’t want anything too obnoxious.
Old March 4th, 2022, 08:18 PM

I drove it a couple of nights ago...it's not gonna have any trouble running at freeway speeds....it will just take a long time to get there!

A few observations:
1) It's really loud inside the cab.
2) The clutch seems to be fine (whew!)
3) I picked up a shifter from a Dakota...it's still bent too far to the rear and ends up in the seat.
4) Needs less tension on the throttle return spring.

At this point it needs an alignment and needs to be driven to work out the bugs. Let the fun begin!
Old March 18th, 2022, 08:29 PM

Been working through a few things on the truck. I wasn't getting any fuel from the accelerator pump nozzles and I wanted to jet the carb down anyway, so I installed #68 jets and spent way too much time figuring out that the little check valve needle under the accelerator pump nozzles was stuck. The factory gasket was smashed down so tight that I coudln't re-use it, so had to buy a new gasket set too. Hooked up a new throttle return spring setup while I was at it. Runs much better, was able to tune the idle mixture to be better too.

I patched the original shifter hole and installed a shift boot. I'm trying to find a good used O-A torch so I can bend the shifter into a better place but keep getting ghosted by sellers. So i'm just driving with a ratchet strap pulling the seat foam out of the way of the shifter...

The local Sherwin Williams auto paint shop tried to color-match some paint for me. It's close, but a little too light. I sprayed over my "bodywork"...I think it's better, kind of, but I would like to come back to this corner of the truck at some point. Got the new rear bumper mounted, too.

And for good measure, took a pic while both trucks were parked on the street. Easter colors!