6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass

Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass Beauty is only 4 coats deep...

Old August 23rd, 2018, 12:29 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1000 305E
JimT is on a distinguished road
Default Bedwood

Any suggestions on what type of poly to apply on my new oak bed wood? I've heard a good quality marine poly provides good UV protection and doesn't yellow. Thanks!

Jim T
1966 GMC Fleetside
Scituate, MA
Old August 30th, 2018, 01:41 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bedwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
Any suggestions on what type of poly to apply on my new oak bed wood? I've heard a good quality marine poly provides good UV protection and doesn't yellow. Thanks!

Jim T
1966 GMC Fleetside
Scituate, MA
I've toyed with the idea of putting marine spar varnish on Cecilia's wood when I get it in, but like all coatings that show the grain it doesn't last well.

One place did a test and found that since our trucks had black painted wood to begin with, a coating of Por 15 and a topcoat of black outdoor paint was the absolute best, longest lasting thing you could do.

I just don't see why they can't make a see-through varnish that holds up and still shows the wood grain. It's 2018 after all. We can preserve blueberries for 25 years or more and keep them edible. We should be able to preserve wood for at least that long!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old October 10th, 2018, 01:21 AM

Truck: 1960 Model 1002 Custom Wideside
1960HDGMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
I've toyed with the idea of putting marine spar varnish on Cecilia's wood when I get it in, but like all coatings that show the grain it doesn't last well.

One place did a test and found that since our trucks had black painted wood to begin with, a coating of Por 15 and a topcoat of black outdoor paint was the absolute best, longest lasting thing you could do.

I just don't see why they can't make a see-through varnish that holds up and still shows the wood grain. It's 2018 after all. We can preserve blueberries for 25 years or more and keep them edible. We should be able to preserve wood for at least that long!
Rub the Blueberries into the wood. It will look fine for 25 years. Actually, I suggest a catalyzing dock stain product called "One Time Wood". It worked out great for me. I have Bald Cypress, and it has not grayed at all. It is guaranteed in full sun for 7 years. It shows grain great,but only comes in satin/matte. 100 bucks a gallon too. Stinks to high heaven until it is fully catalyzed in the sun for a month. But it beats all the other products I have seen folks try. Worth looking at at least, GM.
Old October 10th, 2018, 05:38 PM

Truck: 1966 I100
rusty66 is on a distinguished road

I used the marine spar varnish on an oak bed kit in 2013. I put on several coats. It looks fine so far. But it is garaged and covered most of the time, so take it for what it's worth. Good luck.
Old October 16th, 2018, 02:24 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

I went with factory black, but if you go to Mar-K's web site they have several pages (pasted below) of bed wood with different coats and how well they have held up to the elements.

http://www.mar-k.com/_assets/images/...ood-test-1.pdf

http://www.mar-k.com/_assets/images/.../woodtest2.pdf

http://www.mar-k.com/_assets/images/...alwoodtest.pdf

http://www.mar-k.com/_assets/images/...testupdate.pdf
Old October 17th, 2018, 12:51 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1000 305E
JimT is on a distinguished road

Wow, awesome recap, thanks for posting!

JimT